• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
Minor irritation that I've had for a while over various versions, whenever I launch Radeon Settings via right click on desktop it launches minimized and I have to click it in the taskbar to bring it to the front. Launches normally form tray icon. Anyone have any idea why this is?

Just tested mine doesn't minimise, mine remains open.

Soldato
I'm having real problems with 18.5 and 18.6.1.

The recommended 18.5 just won't install properly. Installs the driver, then all my screens go blank, never come back and the PC hard reboots about 10 seconds later. Windows then has to fix itself after multiple failed boots.

18.6.1 will install, but won't work with iRacing properly in Eyefinity with Freesync. Certain tracks at certain points the frame rate drops alarmingly, there's massive input lag in game and I've never seen tearing like it. I took a load of people out in a broadcast league race the other night when it happened. Not good. :(

Gone back to the March driver and all is fine...

At least 18.6.1 finally fixed the task bar settings not applying thing in Eyefinity that's been there for years.

Soldato
My GPU fan on my Fury X goes to full speed ever now and again, have to re-boot to get it back to normal. It happens when Windows is just @ idle.
Driver = 18.5.2, Windows = fully updated, chipset driver =? (windows installed one a few days ago but the fan problem was happening before that).
Think it's been happening since i updated from 17.5 -> 18.x, 17.5 was rock solid but one of my games complained on load up so I updated.

Soldato
Just seen this video for Dayz uploaded today and I thought about yourself right away. I know you keep asking for AMD driver for Dayz but the fact is Dayz is just a mess even after all these years of trying to get the game performance up to standards it still has stutter. Dont get me wrong its night and day vs the old school Dayz

Here is a i7 8700k and GTX 1080Ti stuttering, This isn't AMD or Nvidia to fix its the devs, so if I was you just update the drivers and quit waiting for Dayz man that game clearly still needs work and is still in Early access.
Click like for direct time
https://youtu.be/I8N8eDkPiDA?t=99

Thats just one person complaining about slight stuttering on a 1080ti with everything maxed out to Extreme which is a ridiculous setting that has no chance of running well on any setup.

My issue is it running terrible on even Low settings with AA disabled and a load of other stuff disabled.

Just for a test i loaded up my RX 480 benchmark clock of 1450 on the core (of which i have a new 3DMark Score yet to submit). With this overclock, DayZ seems to run a hell of a lot smoother but im in no way running that overclock with 1.225v for gaming even though max temps dont even touch 70c.

I see many many Nvidia owners having a smooth experience, some Steam friends dont even have issues with 1070's. I have to run these 17.11.4 drivers as anything after that makes GTA V stutter like a dog.

I actually thought this 2700X would resolve some issues but it actually did nothing except make my Arma 3 become unplayable, just glad i never play it anymore but was curious to test it out, uninstalled it again an hour ago lol.

I've even posted feedback on an issue that causes stuttering but 2 days later and all i get is..

A Troublesome Encounter!

Woe! This request had its journey cut short by unexpected circumstances (Can Not Connect to MySQL).

at the link i saved here > https://feedback.bistudio.com/T130710

If somebody can test the link for me that would be appreciated.

I just feel that DayZ is gona turn out to be a Gameworks title, it seems like they are not even working with AMD.. i'm even looking at 1070's lately. its a joke that a game is about to hit Beta and still no optimisations for it.. and like i said.. runs fine for most Nvidia users.

I'd upgrade to something better from AMD but theres nothing to upgrade to without paying over £500.

So much for the RX 480/580 being good for maxed out 1080p settings GPU when i cant even run DayZ on Low settings without stuttering, but i can watch a British girl stream it fine with an FX 6300 and a bloody Nvidia 660 :rolleyes:

I've been battling with stutter in this game for 2 years now, i thought the RX 480 was a 1080p card, obviously its just a 1080p benchmarking card.

And heres that 3DMark bench.. I'm not running that much power draw for more than 5 minutes, no chance!

jYVE8dz.png

Soldato
@MyBrains You say that is just one person and then compare 480 having issues on one game "DayZ" at 1080p and make it out like it struggles with all games 1080p.
We are both talking about a game known for its poor performance! I have been on this game from the moment it had the MOD right into Standalone and all I heard from my friends and I was just how bad the performance was/is. Dont get me wrong they have indeed improved the game a lot! But I think you wont see anything with AMD drivers until the game is released! AMD wont spend time optimising unfinished code. Thats my view on this.

Just updated to the 0.63 build what turned out to be only a 5 min test ended up being a 15 min joke almost BETA and they still have the server browser 5fps LOL Get into a game change my Graphics to Extreme crash, again same thing, Third time lucky I got into a server extreme settings at 1440p I was getting smooth performance for the moment I was in there until I was kicked because of battleEye.

The game is a joke, has been for years! Bugs after bugs.

edit
Link also doesn't work for me.

Last edited:
Associate
@MyBrains I dont know if u see my previous comment..0.63 Experimental - 18.6.1 - R9 380 4G + i5 750 - Running pretty smooth with NO OC anywhere.

But dont expect anything from DayZ until its officialy out.
Not a driver problem, but a developer optimizing the game problem.

Soldato
@MyBrains I dont know if u see my previous comment..0.63 Experimental - 18.6.1 - R9 380 4G + i5 750 - Running pretty smooth with NO OC anywhere.

But dont expect anything from DayZ until its officialy out.
Not a driver problem, but a developer optimizing the game problem.

Its just very frustrating to have this problem for so long while lesser spec systems have no issues at all.

I've also tried stock settings, 1 monitor, 2 monitors or my usual 3 monitor setup, makes no difference. Freesync/Enhanced sync on and off, all different combinations.. no joy :(

@shankly1985 Thats a bug with Extreme settings that cause crashes and other issues. I wish it ran smooth for me and i had Battleye kicks, cuz i can fix Battleye kicks. Also theres an Offline Mode if you right click DayZ in Steam ;)

Soldato
Its just very frustrating to have this problem for so long while lesser spec systems have no issues at all.

I've also tried stock settings, 1 monitor, 2 monitors or my usual 3 monitor setup, makes no difference. Freesync/Enhanced sync on and off, all different combinations.. no joy :(

@shankly1985 Thats a bug with Extreme settings that cause crashes and other issues. I wish it ran smooth for me and i had Battleye kicks, cuz i can fix Battleye kicks. Also theres an Offline Mode if you right click DayZ in Steam ;)

Will try offline mode and record that. But it's not a true representation of the game. Player numbers on the server have always been known to effect DayZ and arma series performance.
Seems to be a known issue atm for BattleEye. And for a game this long into its development crashing when changing settings shouldn't be happening just like all the other bugs still in the game. A driver is the games least issue at the moment :) the developer needs to work more on this title.

Soldato
Will try offline mode and record that. But it's not a true representation of the game. Player numbers on the server have always been known to effect DayZ and arma series performance.
Seems to be a known issue atm for BattleEye. And for a game this long into its development crashing when changing settings shouldn't be happening just like all the other bugs still in the game. A driver is the games least issue at the moment :) the developer needs to work more on this title.

Well they're definitely working on it, just check their twitter feed https://twitter.com/dayzdevteam

Gotta remember its taking this long as EVERYTHING is being replaced or updated.. Battleye is having to work on a brand new Enfusion engine. My gripe is, right now Nvidia is way better than AMD at this stage which is yet another reason people will buy Nvidia.

I'm just fed up with having the same old issues for 2 years when most others dont. Do i really need to buy a GTX 1080 to play games on just High settings these days? I'm barely scraping through DayZ with a mix of Medium and Low settings along with AA disabled, Ambient Occlusion and Post Process disabled too.

Enhanced Sync in DayZ is proper broken, causes more stutter than turning it off.

Even GTA V has stuttering issues with the latest 18.6.1 whereas 17.11.4 dont, but at least Enhanced Sync works in that title.

Frustrating man :(

Edit, oh that feedback link works again (they must be closed at weekends), but no devs are responding to it after 7 days anyway :rolleyes:

Caporegime
OP
Its in the area North West of the Map, its a miserable looking dull area that is quite rainy. Other people are reporting the same issues dude so its not like its unique to me.

42567912381_31c4b2a65b_b.jpg
Tony,

Do you happen to have a save game file from the single player campaign you can share to easily get to this location? It would help with debug efforts.

Permabanned
Minor irritation that I've had for a while over various versions, whenever I launch Radeon Settings via right click on desktop it launches minimized and I have to click it in the taskbar to bring it to the front. Launches normally form tray icon. Anyone have any idea why this is?
Just tested mine doesn't minimise, mine remains open.

Same here, it remains open.

I'm using an RX480, 18.6.1 & Win 10 pro.

Associate
It doesn't start minimised for me when launching from the desktop, it is however in the background and thus frequently hidden by say my web browser. Doubleclicking the icon in the systray launches it to the front.

Caporegime
OP
I am afraid that UEFI did not fix the issue.

asked him to try it out today, got a green within ten mins of the game running.
Hi ED,

Can you drop me a trust message? I'd like to take this offline with you to try and collect more information about this issue to aid engineering in a successful repro.

Back
Top Bottom