• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
We've been unable to reproduce this issue so far after navigating to that area Tony. Did you have HBCC segment enabled?

I notice there have been several updates to the game since you reported this, do you still see this issue on 18.6.1 and the latest game build via Steam?

Sorry Matt. I've been away in Greece on holiday (still here, due back Monday) so not been able really offer you any help.

Hbcc was off, I never use it as it causes problems in games for me. As far as I'm aware, last time I played before i left the issue was still there.

I'm still getting comments on my YouTube video, latest one yesterday of others still getting this on 18.6.1. If you can just give me a few more days to get home and provide you with some proper help that would be great.

Soldato
Guys there isn't only the colours it seems. I was playing WOT, first time the new engine with AMD card and had to run on the laptop to test on the training map because I was seeing some weird stuff that draw my attention like was seeing them the first time. And I have tens of thousands of battles on this game so I have seen the same places so they are imprinted on my brain.

(I play the game on max settings at 100% render so it doesn't cut graphics due to distance, and yes had to delete my 1080Ti game settings before configure the FX)

Smoke and foliage on many maps (Westfield & Overlord for example) is so real (and dense) looking on the FuryX compared to the 1080Ti and the GTX1060 and initially thought my eyes were playing tricks. Nope. On the laptop (same max settings), half the foliage is missing (as used on PC also with the 1080Ti), while the smoke at Overlord map (near D8 as you look from J7) was barely noticeable looking like we just put some charcoal on the BBQ to cook some meat. On the FuryX looks thick black and swirling like a whole fleet of tankers full of diesel are on fire. Which is so striking that I got shot by enemies while looking at the smoke.

True the FuryX gives 100fps LESS (70-80 range) than the GTX1080Ti (high 170s). But the game looks so much more better on exactly the same settings. Textures are more detailed even 500m away.

Call me crazy if you think so, but I will try to take some screenshot tomorrow before I put the Nitro 64 on.

(Update the windows reflections on Paris map also is a another thing that the game pops right now)

I'm seeing this scenario on a few games panos. I've my vega64 gaming rig, and beside it I have my 1080ti rig which is my recording. I'm able to do direct comparisons side by side and gaming rig has more detail in certain games and always had an all round better image (better colours, cleaner sharper image) than the 1080ti rig. It's pretty interesting, I'm not trying to start wars or lick AMD butt butt, just something i've noticed over the last 6 months.

Caporegime
OP
Sorry Matt. I've been away in Greece on holiday (still here, due back Monday) so not been able really offer you any help.

Hbcc was off, I never use it as it causes problems in games for me. As far as I'm aware, last time I played before i left the issue was still there.

I'm still getting comments on my YouTube video, latest one yesterday of others still getting this on 18.6.1. If you can just give me a few more days to get home and provide you with some proper help that would be great.
Yeah no worries Tony, enjoy your holiday!

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm seeing this scenario on a few games panos. I've my vega64 gaming rig, and beside it I have my 1080ti rig which is my recording. I'm able to do direct comparisons side by side and gaming rig has more detail in certain games and always had an all round better image (better colours, cleaner sharper image) than the 1080ti rig. It's pretty interesting, I'm not trying to start wars or lick AMD butt butt, just something i've noticed over the last 6 months.

Yeah. Vega 64 provides the same good quality graphics in bushes and smoke as described above.
Also have a look here

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/31937859/

Someone compared same settings to GS:SO between AMD & NV GPU. Look at the trees

@AMDMatt Seems if AMD wants to compete in pure fps, must cheat also generating less foliage on trees and bushes. :p
(actually I do not because everything looks better with the V64)

Caporegime
OP
Yeah. Vega 64 provides the same good quality graphics in bushes and smoke as described above.
Also have a look here

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/31937859/

Someone compared same settings to GS:SO between AMD & NV GPU. Look at the trees

@AMDMatt Seems if AMD wants to compete in pure fps, must cheat also generating less foliage on trees and bushes. :p
(actually I do not because everything looks better with the V64)
I've never used a NVidia GPU so i couldn't comment. :p

Soldato
I've never used a NVidia GPU so i couldn't comment. :p
Quick question.
My 1742 overclocked V64 beats the GTX1080 @ 2190 on Time Spy Graphic Test 1 but loses 11.7% on Graphic Test 2.
This is a DX12 benchmark that AMD should run running circles. Yet there is something in the process that cripples performance.

We know since 2016 there is a different execution path between AMD & Nvidia on test 2, but 11.7% is huge difference especially when Test 1 Vega beats the 1080. Maybe is down to drivers that hasn't been looked at?

Caporegime
OP
Quick question.
My 1742 overclocked V64 beats the GTX1080 @ 2190 on Time Spy Graphic Test 1 but loses 11.7% on Graphic Test 2.
This is a DX12 benchmark that AMD should run running circles. Yet there is something in the process that cripples performance.

We know since 2016 there is a different execution path between AMD & Nvidia on test 2, but 11.7% is huge difference especially when Test 1 Vega beats the 1080. Maybe is down to drivers issue that hasn't been looked at?
I'm not sure about that, but i'll pass your feedback onto engineering.

Do you happen to have a couple of 3dmark scores from your systems showing the difference?

Soldato
Associate
Has anybody had any gaming issues recently with the newer driver version? or at least that's what I hope its a driver issue. . . Ive started to run into problems on the game 'Rust' Whereby all of the grass goes black, and every so often my FPS will drop dramatically and then shoot back up just as quick. Checking the timeline, when this happens I notice the memory can go as low as 200mhz which I find odd? im wondering if this will be a driver issue or a hardware issue? Last night I did a full windows wipe and installed a new Samsung Evo, hoping this would rectify the issue. . . it hasn't and its driving me nuts! any help is appreciated.

Soldato
Has anybody had any gaming issues recently with the newer driver version? or at least that's what I hope its a driver issue. . . Ive started to run into problems on the game 'Rust' Whereby all of the grass goes black, and every so often my FPS will drop dramatically and then shoot back up just as quick. Checking the timeline, when this happens I notice the memory can go as low as 200mhz which I find odd? im wondering if this will be a driver issue or a hardware issue? Last night I did a full windows wipe and installed a new Samsung Evo, hoping this would rectify the issue. . . it hasn't and its driving me nuts! any help is appreciated.

Nope. Having used 18.6.1 with both FuryX & Vega 64 didn't experience such issue.
Maybe use DDU to clean up everything and install the drivers fresh?

Associate
Nope. Having used 18.6.1 with both FuryX & Vega 64 didn't experience such issue.
Maybe use DDU to clean up everything and install the drivers fresh?

It’s a clean install on a brand new drive. I’ll roll back a couple of drivers to when I know it was 100% working, if that doesn’t work it must be the GPU

Soldato
It’s a clean install on a brand new drive. I’ll roll back a couple of drivers to when I know it was 100% working, if that doesn’t work it must be the GPU

Check temps with HWINFO. Remove overclocks.
Could be the game. I couldn't join the Camelot Unchained beta 1, because they have issues with my system, but nothing to do with the card or AMD.
(damn Nvidia gameworks).

Associate
Check temps with HWINFO. Remove overclocks.
Could be the game. I couldn't join the Camelot Unchained beta 1, because they have issues with my system, but nothing to do with the card or AMD.
(damn Nvidia gameworks).

Temps are always around 65c, there is no OC on the core, I just have the memory at 1000mhz.

Associate
Is it the reference one? Because I haven't seen over 58C even when heavily overclocked on the Nitro+
Also HWInfo will give you temps of everything like HBM not only core temps.

Yeah reference card, usually sits around 60c with the warm weather, and heavy game play it maxes out at around 70c

Back
Top Bottom