• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Associate
Guys there isn't only the colours it seems. I was playing WOT, first time the new engine with AMD card and had to run on the laptop to test on the training map because I was seeing some weird stuff that draw my attention like was seeing them the first time. And I have tens of thousands of battles on this game so I have seen the same places so they are imprinted on my brain.

(I play the game on max settings at 100% render so it doesn't cut graphics due to distance, and yes had to delete my 1080Ti game settings before configure the FX)

Smoke and foliage on many maps (Westfield & Overlord for example) is so real (and dense) looking on the FuryX compared to the 1080Ti and the GTX1060 and initially thought my eyes were playing tricks. Nope. On the laptop (same max settings), half the foliage is missing (as used on PC also with the 1080Ti), while the smoke at Overlord map (near D8 as you look from J7) was barely noticeable looking like we just put some charcoal on the BBQ to cook some meat. On the FuryX looks thick black and swirling like a whole fleet of tankers full of diesel are on fire. Which is so striking that I got shot by enemies while looking at the smoke.

True the FuryX gives 100fps LESS (70-80 range) than the GTX1080Ti (high 170s). But the game looks so much more better on exactly the same settings. Textures are more detailed even 500m away.

Call me crazy if you think so, but I will try to take some screenshot tomorrow before I put the Nitro 64 on.

(Update the windows reflections on Paris map also is a another thing that the game pops right now)

I too found this going from my old 1070 back to my (even older) R9 380.

On Battlefield 1, textures looks much sharper, foliage and smoke much denser. Obviously much lower FPS but overall much nicer looking image. R6 siege much the same.

In-game settings left exactly identical. Just uninstalled drivers, took out 1070, put R9 380 in and reinstalled drivers.

Soldato
I too found this going from my old 1070 back to my (even older) R9 380.

On Battlefield 1, textures looks much sharper, foliage and smoke much denser. Obviously much lower FPS but overall much nicer looking image. R6 siege much the same.

In-game settings left exactly identical. Just uninstalled drivers, took out 1070, put R9 380 in and reinstalled drivers.

Imho with the Vega 64 Nitro hit a great balance atm. Good fps on the high 100s and great image quality at 2560x1440 & 4K. (yes using Freesync TV also in the berdroom)

Last edited:
Soldato
@LtMatt

Hi Matt. Just been messing, was going to get you a save game and noticed VRAM usage was at 13gb. Decided to mess with HBCC, enabled it, restarted game and now seeing VRAM usage at 4.1gb but more importantly no flickering. Disabled HBCC again and immediately getting the texture bug.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
@LtMatt

Hi Matt. Just been messing, was going to get you a save game and noticed VRAM usage was at 13gb. Decided to mess with HBCC, enabled it, restarted game and now seeing VRAM usage at 4.1gb at more importantly no flickering. Disabled HBCC again and immediately getting the texture bug.

Thanks Tony, will pass that along.

Do you happen to see this issue on a NVidia GPU out of interest? Thought you also had a 1080TI.

Associate
Thanks Tony, will pass that along.

Do you happen to see this issue on a NVidia GPU out of interest? Thought you also had a 1080TI.

Just to add to the odd memory behaviour Tony is seeing, when i had a Vega 56, I noticed the same thing in assassins creed origins the Radeon overlay would show 9GB of vram use regardless of settings but once you turned HBCC on, it would start to show vram at a level you would expect about 3gb. However unlike tony once i turned it off the behaviour stayed at the expect level of around 3gb

Associate
Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 18.7.1 Highlights

Support For:
  • Earthfall™
    • Up to 28% faster performance using Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 18.7.1 on the Radeon™ RX Vega 56 (8GB) graphics card than with Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 18.6.1 at 2560x1440 (1440p).1
    • Up to 22% faster performance using Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 18.7.1 on the Radeon™ RX 580 (8GB) graphics card than with Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 18.6.1 at 2560x1440 (1440p).2
    • Up to 27% faster performance using Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 18.7.1 on the Radeon™ RX 560 (4GB) graphics card than with Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 18.6.1 at 1920x1080 (1080p).3
Fixed Issues:
  • Fortnite™ Season 5 may experience an application hang on some Radeon graphics products when throwing stars are visible on screen.
  • Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice™ may experience flickering or corruption on some Radeon graphics products.
  • Display modes may sometimes appear as not available when setting resolution or refresh rates of a display.
  • CorelDraw™ may experience slower than expected performance.
  • Memory clocks may remain at higher than expected values on some displays after changing resolution or refresh rates.
  • Some displays may exhibit black screen flickering when booting to desktop when using DisplayPort.
Known Issues:
  • Virtual Super Resolution settings may not retain after updating to this Radeon Software release.
  • Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus™ may experience an application crash when disabling Asynchronous Compute via game settings.
  • Graphics and memory clocks may remain at higher than expected values after watching a video or using Windows DVR while in game. A workaround is to reboot the system.
  • Cursor or system lag may be observed on some system configurations when two or more displays are connected and one display is powered off.
  • Radeon WattMan gauges may report as zero on secondary graphics products in multi GPU enabled system configurations.

Link: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-18-7-1

Soldato
Run some tests with those drivers tonight.
I can only OC the Vega 64 to 1727 instead of 1742 now.
HOWEVER at 1727 the performance is 4% better on the benchmarks than at 1742!!!!
On Time Spy for example first Test +4.7%, second test +3.3%

Bugs.
@LtMatt
If I have Custom overclock and switch to Turbo. The HBM overclock doesn't reset.
I have to switch to Balance mode to reset the HBM overclock. Going to Turbo afterwards is OK.

Soldato
Interior lighting in Kingdom Come Deliverance is broken after updating to these new drivers on my 7950.

https://imgur.com/zb647eG

https://imgur.com/OcNlVaG
Did you use DDU in safe mode?
https://www.wagnardsoft.com/

-----

@Panos
I've seen something like that before when the memory timing was adjusted. Not sure if that's the case here.

----
@LtMatt
Any word on Primitive Discarding? Will this be a feature in Crimson like Tessellation Mode? Or is this something that the developers have to implement?
Also any word on 3DMark Serra? I know that FM is now UL but can you provide any insight to Serra since it was an AMD thing?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom