• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Caporegime
Forget about HDR gaming on the PC. It is a complete mess :o Shame as when it works properly, it is stunning, the IQ improves tenfold (especially on LCD based displays)

Soldato
i have HDR on my TV and i cant use it, makes the TV too dark, like everything, even colours are a lot darker when i turn HDR on. i must be using it wrong i guess?
HDR isn't meant to be "turned on" or off, it's only meant to be used if the source is providing HDR metadata and your TV should handle this automatically. Works fantastically on my LG OLED55B7V, with Planet Earth II being the best demo material I've found so far.

I did have to calibrate SDR and HDR modes separately though.

Associate
HDR isn't meant to be "turned on" or off, it's only meant to be used if the source is providing HDR metadata and your TV should handle this automatically. Works fantastically on my LG OLED55B7V, with Planet Earth II being the best demo material I've found so far.

I did have to calibrate SDR and HDR modes separately though.

maybe it is the calibration thing i am thinking of then. but when i choose the HDR option from the picture menu it is very dark and everything seems very dark. whenever i mess with all that i can get comfortable for days and then a program my missus will be watching like jeremy kyle (i know ive tried) is on all the people seem stupidly orange or the blues on the menus for sky sports news seem way off. so i settled on a preset option.

and from what you have said i am using HDR all the time then lol.

Soldato
maybe it is the calibration thing i am thinking of then. but when i choose the HDR option from the picture menu it is very dark and everything seems very dark. whenever i mess with all that i can get comfortable for days and then a program my missus will be watching like jeremy kyle (i know ive tried) is on all the people seem stupidly orange or the blues on the menus for sky sports news seem way off. so i settled on a preset option.

and from what you have said i am using HDR all the time then lol.
Broadcast TV isn't HDR and your TV shouldn't be in HDR mode for it. Leave it on automatic, which means it'll be off 99% of the time unless you have an actual HDR source (right now this means HDR material directly on your TV via iPlayer or Netflix for example, or an UHD BD player).

Soldato
The cheek of some people ever to bad mouth Nvidia right...how dare they.
When you point at them that Nvidia gives hundreds of thousands to developers to remove the console games optimisations and strap gameworks on them, which greatly affect the performance of AMD for no reason, they come back at you with "Nvidia master PC race" etc. Brushing under the carpet games like Far Cry 5. Which is AMD optimised but runs perfectly on all products both AMD & Nvidia without crippling perf.
See also BF5 atm, which currently doesn't have Gameworks activated fully in it's Alpha stage.

Soldato
Soldato
so that explains what i have been seeing then lol. oh well next TV i will do more comprehensive research.

Look is £450 TV. A very good bargain for what it is. The 55KS7000 (KS8000 in USA) cost me £750 back in Jan 2016, and the 55NU8000 £1100 two weeks ago.

Why you do not look at some forums using the TV how they might sort this issue?
Also does your TV has firmware updates? Both my Samsung ones have often updates that completely change the TV.
Eg May update added Freesync to the NU8000, while the April update gave HDR1000 to the KS7000 among other things.

Back
Top Bottom