• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
Yes, i always do, rolled back to 18.6.1 now and lighting is fine again.
If that is a driver problem I hope it gets fix :)

I've seen weird stuff like that before and what may work is to reset the in game IQ settings. If you have the patience retry the new drivers. This time before you load up go to Graphics Settings and select Reset. Then go to Advance Graphics Settings and select Reset. Exit out. Once back to desktop restart the game. Re-select your IQ settings.

Caporegime
Soldato
Thanks for that. I read it but really didn't know what to think about it. It seems up in the air.
---
I just read that UE 4.20 is giving AMD a 30%+ bump in performance in Vulkan. Can AMD make this gaming engine to the poster child towards all those they have developer relations with when it comes out?
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/8osbac/vulkan_in_unreal_engine_420_shows_huge_30_gains/

Actual link to power point (Click on UE4 Vulkan Updates and Tips (Page 45):
https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/resources?

Caporegime
Regarding dual displays.

Why does AMD suck so much for this?

Even when just idling and nothing is opened/running, my GPU runs at least 10 degrees hotter.

Also, I am convinced that there is some performance loss too.

Oh and this is even happening when the second display is turned off (in standby)

From what I've read, nvidia does not have this issue.

Caporegime
All these problems with the Sammy CF791 been fixed yet ?, was thinking of getting a one, but all this is putting me off now, also has a supposed FreeSync flicker prob too.

https://community.amd.com/thread/220267

Wonder if its also a Win 10 prob, as im still on 7, and quite a few in that thread, seem to be on it, and it seems to be problems with other monitors as well, so its not just that one, and ive had no problems at all on Win 7 with my BenQ XL2730Z.

Last edited:
Soldato
Regarding dual displays.

Why does AMD suck so much for this?

Even when just idling and nothing is opened/running, my GPU runs at least 10 degrees hotter.

Also, I am convinced that there is some performance loss too.

Oh and this is even happening when the second display is turned off (in standby)

From what I've read, nvidia does not have this issue.

No issue here with VEGA, The R9 series did have max Memory when running multi display. Same with Nvidia older GPUs, more recent GPU handle Multu display better.

I have 1440p 144hz DisplayPort Freesync main display, to my side 1080p 120hz but running 60hz because I using HDMI.

No a single issue :D

Edit
Least I thought Nvidia fixed it, a quick google through this up loads users reporting higher clocks.
https://forums.geforce.com/default/...le-clocks-on-gtx-1080-with-multiple-displays/

Low clocks, Low Temps
08695481ab93d793f7e91256410dd8d38a288a2019f1c86a9270fd2a2405ae14e83c3c01.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
All these problems with the Sammy CF791 been fixed yet ?, was thinking of getting a one, but all this is putting me off now, also has a supposed FreeSync flicker prob too.

Wonder if its also a Win 10 prob, as im still on 7, and quite a few in that thread, seem to be on it, and it seems to be problems with other monitors as well, so its not just that one, and ive had no problems at all on Win 7 with my BenQ XL2730Z.

Maybe wait for the nano IPS LG one next month? It does feel that is going to be a better monitor.

Caporegime
OP

No problems with mine connected via HDMI 2.0 slot.

Caporegime
No problems with mine connected via HDMI 2.0 slot.

Some get the FreeSync flickering with the HDMI 2.0 as well, unfortunately, so think i'll go for the BenQ, and ive never had any probs with my 30Z, which is a BneQ as well. :)

From reading, the BenQ comes with a mDP to DP, so i was thinking, id have to buy an adapter (as Vega only got the DPs), but then i was, hang on, im already using a DP to DP now on the one ive got, so all i'll have to do, is unplug it from this one, and plug it into my new'un :p

Buy it and send back if you have issues? Its within your rights.

Yeah im gona grab one, see what all this widescreen gaming fuss is about :D

Permabanned

Reading bits like this

instead of being an "it just works" affair, full support for primitive shaders will require explicit inclusion in future versions of APIs like Direct3D 12 and Vulkan. Unlike some Vega features,
AMD says that "primitive shader support isn't something we can just turn on overnight and it happens,
" noting instead that it'll need to work with the development community to bring this feature to future API versions.

It'll be interesting to see if these tech features are even be on upcoming AMD gpu's like the Navi models, If they're a Vega dead end they'll never be adopted.

Permabanned

I'd look into why it isn't Freesync 2 branded first.

EDIT: Just looked elsewhere, It say's it has LFC support but it's only got a 48-100 hz working range. It also doesn't say it has HDR so somethings obviously wrong with the data, I'd want one that's Freesync range goes lower than 48 personally.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/freesync-monitors

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'd look into why it isn't Freesync 2 branded first.

EDIT: Just looked elsewhere, It say's it has LFC support but it's only got a 48-100 hz working range. It also doesn't say it has HDR so somethings obviously wrong with the data, I'd want one that's Freesync range goes lower than 48 personally.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/freesync-monitors

It is HDR (not proper, just 8bit i think), but HDR doesn't interest me, as hardly any games have it, and with me being on Win 7 still, i can't use it anyway. :D

The range, 48-100Hz, is fine for me.

Noticed its a DP 1.4, now my my 350Z, is a DP 1.2, so im guessing the cables a DP 1.2 as well, so bearing in mind im not interested in the HDR, would my 1.2 cable, still give me the FreeSync on it, like it does now on the monitor ive got ?

Just been reading up, DP 1.2 can apparently do 3440x1440 at a max 120hz, so should be fine, with the monitor only being 100hz :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure you really need below 48 Hz if you have LFC (which doesn't require monitor-specific support any more). I use 57-144 Hz as my range and it's fine.

I'm kinda glad I bought my monitor before HDR became "a thing" - it looks like a complete mess for gaming right now. There needs to be some proper standards set and every monitor needs to support all of them, which is what has happened in the TV space (HDR10, HLG, Dolby Vision).

Associate
i have HDR on my TV and i cant use it, makes the TV too dark, like everything, even colours are a lot darker when i turn HDR on. i must be using it wrong i guess?

Back
Top Bottom