1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The AMD Driver Thread

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by LtMatt, Dec 18, 2014.

1. nashathedog

Sgarrista

Thanks for the pic, The new forum software is a bit looney, It sometimes takes me 3 or 4 goes to get a post right if it includes screenshots, copy/pastes & deletions etc, There's these funny little dots when copy/pasting from the AMD driver updates that the forum can't seem to see making them immune to deletions, I feel sorry for Kaap with all the bench threads to update, I did the Strange Brigade bench thread a couple of months back, never again. :D

2. nashathedog

Sgarrista

:D I rolled back to 18.12.1, With no VSR for 1440uw there's no reason for me to move up yet & it was a mess so I did a couple of bug reports and rolled back.

I'm not sure I know where you mean? In the Radeon Settings/Display AMD's simply on or off for me

3. MyBrainz

Wise Guy

Under each game profile.

4. henson0115

Wise Guy

No problem, yea first time posting a pic on here and been reading 10plus years. Easier to host elsewhere and let them do the code. It's not like I'm not used to HTML or anything lol.

5. Panos

Perma Banned

Because the previous posted list for 18.12.3 is not complete

6. DragonQ

Soldato

I submitted a bug report for slow and crash-causing alt-tab/alt-enter and won't be upgrading my drivers again until either I see something in the driver notes about it or it's been a good few months. I expect they'll fix the broken "Zero RPM" toggle fairly soon though.

7. nashathedog

Sgarrista

From the look of it my guess would be that AMD optimized means they plan to make individual profiles for any games Freesync does not play well with. Because all the games are set to AMD optimised by default I presume it means Freesync on unless they've added a profile for that particular game.

8. AmateurExpert

Gangster

Catching up on this thread - recent Windows 10 updates broke compatibility with older AMD drivers (and other things too) so its not just whether the driver itself supports the GPU. Of course Windows will try to install incompatible drivers, what else would you expect from Microsoft? They have no QA team.

9. Panos

Perma Banned

@LtMatt, has anyone reported the following behaviour of the 18.12.2.2 drivers?
    If you have a game with custom profile, and the game crashes (ESO is unstable some times) on restart of the Windows 10, the AMD interface ignores completely the custom profile exists and is enabled. Even if launching the game directly from the drivers interfcace and the profile states is enabled.

Changing profile parameters, and launching from the drivers works, but after 15-20 minutes magically defaults to normal clocks (no min/max on P7) while the game is running.
    The only way to fix this, is to delete the game profile and start new one.

10. LtMatt

Caporegime

I'll look into it, but i suspect this is expected to stop unstable settings being applied after a crash.
    Another workaround is to toggle the histogram on, or you can try toggling it on and then off.

11. OLDPHART

Soldato

Anyone find that the FPS slider is not working set at 60Hz for my monitor , game launched from Dirt Rally game profile.

Reported.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  12. leemk

Hitman

Keep getting a notification that a newer driver is available , currently installed 18.12.3 but it says 18.12.2 is recommended.
    Is .3 knackered and they recommend downgrading.

13. shankly1985

Capodecina

Amd always recommended the latest WHQL driver. 18.12.2 is the latest stable WHQL signed driver so it's the recommended driver.
    18.12.3 is the latest beta driver so is not recommended by Radeon settings.

Hope this helps the confusion.

14. Shiari

Hitman

It helps the confusion, it doesn't make it any less annoying though. The message is confusing since the beta *is* the latest driver, but by the sound of it not the latest *recommended* driver.

15. OLDPHART

Soldato

16. KentMan

Gangster

I installed the 18.2.3 driver and now Freesync no longer works :( the options turned off and greyed out... Back I go to the drivers before this current branch of fail :(

17. Shiari

Hitman

I know that doesn't help you, but it works just fine for me. It's probably just gone out of sync (no pun intended) with what the monitor supports, could try reconnecting it or things like that.

18. Dicehunter

Capodecina

I keep getting system freezes with this latest driver, Have to hard reset to get back into windows, Doesn;t happen with the prior driver running a Vega 64.

19. Th0nt

Soldato

Its a shame they ballsed this rollout as you would want a positive experience to make a statement that your software team is upping the game. It should have gone beta for a few versions but then again all things released these days are rushed. Who remembers getting floppy discs on magazines to update things, they were that rare because it usually was shipped in the box working properly in the first place!

20. Dicehunter

Capodecina

The actual main 2019 driver works great, It's the 18.12.3 optional that's borked for me.