• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
It doesn't happen on Nvidia cards so either Nvidia work around it or AMD have an issue. Either way it's down to AMD to fix it for their customers.

As for that video posted above. It's hard to see anything because it's a blurry mess of pixelation and after images. I can't notice any super obvious hitching but just watching it gives me headache. It does look jerky when rotating if that's what you're getting at.

Last edited:
Soldato
It doesn't happen on Nvidia cards so either Nvidia work around it or AMD have an issue. Either way it's down to AMD to fix it for their customers.

As for that video posted above. It's hard to see anything because it's a blurry mess of pixelation and after images. I can't notice any super obvious hitching but just watching it gives me headache. It does look jerky when rotating if that's what you're getting at.

Sarcastic much?

Try switching to 4K quality, reason why i upscaled it to 4K is because DayZ Standalone is THE worse game for streaming on Twitch because of the amount of grass on most of the map.

The stuttering/juddering is 0.42 - 1.09. This happens on any settings i use, even the lowest.

----

Going to order an Nvidia card.. whether it fixes it or not, i'll be sending it back. Like 8 Pack said in the Zen2 thread, need to do our own reviews and test hardware ourselves.

I know a guy that is running DayZ on a 750ti with all High settings. Really not sure why an AMD Vega 56 or my old RX 480 cant run it off a fresh install of Windows 10.. unless there is some secret sauce i need to use :rolleyes:

Like i said before, my PC runs everything else very very well.. maybe the DayZ secret sauce is an Nvidia card.

Soldato
Well unfortunately i have tried all of those things, even uninstalled Chrome completely, tried uninstalling different programs like mouse software, done all the Windows tweaks.. even a fresh install doesnt fix it.

Has to be the game or AMD drivers or Windows, but if it was Windows then how come i can run GTA V with all Very High settings/x4 MSAA without the stuttering. Arma 3 ran better than DayZ when i used to play it.

Its not even microstutter, its some crazy juddering that comes and goes randomly.. makes no difference which settings i apply, it'll do it on the lowest settings.

Its ridiculous, honestly.

Starts at around 0.40 then goes away around 1.10. This is what happens often which makes it unplayable.

I've read that this fixed the stutter problem.

Soldato
@LtMatt I have an Nvidia card coming tomorrow.. in a way i hope it fixes the DayZ stuttering, but then i would rather AMD to work fine in all honesty. I really dont want to have to switch to team green but if it fixes my stuttering, which only happens in DayZ.. then i'll be selling my 3 AMD cards i have. DayZ is the game i want to play the most, its a tough choice but it will have to be done if it all goes fine tomorrow.

I tried a different mouse yesterday which i hoped was the issue but nope :(

We'll see what happens tomorrow anyway, if i still have the same issues then i really have no clue what is going on.

Seeing streamers running DayZ fine on Nvidia cards like 660 and 960 and even a friend using a 750ti is pretty depressing to be honest. I've only seen DayZ mentioned in AMD driver changelogs once, and that was about 2 years ago.

Maybe time to give up gaming on PC and buy a PS4 for DayZ instead.. sad times :(

Soldato
I wasn't being sarcastic it's just the truth. Even if a developer looked at that video they would have a hard time seeing what was actually wrong. At the timestamps you mention there is frame skipping or a seemingly low update rate. If everything is fine at the start then degrades into this then I'm more inclined to think it's a game issue rather than driver.

I doubt gamebarpresencewriter is the cause of the issue but if you want to disable it here you go.

Turn this into a .bat file and run it.

Code:
@echo off &title Disable GamebarPresenceWriter - proper method
reg query "HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-20\Environment" /v TEMP >nul 2>nul || goto need_admin_rights

call :check_status
echo.
echo      ---------------------------------------------------------------------
echo     :                 Disable GamebarPresenceWriter v3.1                  :
echo     :---------------------------------------------------------------------:
echo     :  Runs even if Windows DVR is disabled, and can cause game stutters  :
echo     :   This won't disable the Win + G GameBar. Use Settings to do that   :
echo     :             Just run this script again to toggle on/off             :
echo     :                                                                     :
echo     :                          Currently: %STATUS%%_%                     :
echo     :                                                                     :
echo     : Press Alt+F4 to cancel                    Always run latest version :
echo      ---------------------------------------------------------------------
echo.
timeout /t 10 &echo.
set "acikey=Microsoft\WindowsRuntime\ActivatableClassId\Windows.Gaming.GameBar.PresenceServer.Internal.PresenceWriter"
set "reg64=HKLM\SOFTWARE" &set "reg32=HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node"
:: Use reg_takeownership snippet to unprotect GamebarPresenceWriter registry key
reg delete "%reg64%\%acikey%" /v "ActivationType" /f >nul 2>nul || call :reg_takeownership "%reg64%\%acikey%" "Administrators"
reg delete "%reg32%\%acikey%" /v "ActivationType" /f >nul 2>nul || call :reg_takeownership "%reg32%\%acikey%" "Administrators"
:: Toggle GamebarPresenceWriter activatable class id in the registry
if "%STATUS%"=="OFF" ( set "ActivationType=0x1" ) else set "ActivationType=0x0"
reg add "%reg64%\%acikey%" /v "ActivationType" /t REG_DWORD /d %ActivationType% /f >nul 2>nul
reg add "%reg32%\%acikey%" /v "ActivationType" /t REG_DWORD /d %ActivationType% /f >nul 2>nul
call :check_status
echo ActivationType = %ActivationType%
echo.

:: Done!
echo ------------------------------
if "%STATUS%"=="OFF" ( color 0c &echo  GamebarPresenceWriter now: OFF ) else color 0b &echo  GamebarPresenceWriter now: ON!
echo ------------------------------
echo.
pause
exit

::----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:: Utility functions
::----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:check_status
set "acikey=Microsoft\WindowsRuntime\ActivatableClassId\Windows.Gaming.GameBar.PresenceServer.Internal.PresenceWriter"
call :reg_query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\%acikey%" "ActivationType" ActivationType
if "[%ActivationType%]"=="[0x0]" ( set "STATUS=OFF" ) else set "STATUS=ON!"
set "_=        " &if "%STATUS%"=="OFF" ( color 0c ) else color 0b
exit/b

:reg_takeownership %1:regkey[ex:"HKCU\Console"] %2:_user[optional, default:"Administrators"] %3:_recursive[optional, default:""]
set "s10=$dll0='[DllImport(''ntdll.dll'')]public static extern int RtlAdjustPrivilege(ulong a,bool b,bool c,ref bool d);'; $ntdll="
set "s11=Add-Type -Member $dll0 -Name NtDll -PassThru; foreach($i in @(9,17,18)){$null=$ntdll::RtlAdjustPrivilege($i,1,0,[ref]0)};"
set "s12=function Reg_TakeOwnership { param($hive, $key, $own, $inherit=$false);"
set "s13= $reg=[Microsoft.Win32.Registry]::$hive.OpenSubKey($key,'ReadWriteSubTree','TakeOwnership');"
set "s14= $acl=New-Object System.Security.AccessControl.RegistrySecurity; $acl.SetOwner($own); $reg.SetAccessControl($acl);"
set "s15= $acl.SetAccessRuleProtection($false,$false);$reg.SetAccessControl($acl);"
set "s16= $reg=$reg.OpenSubKey('','ReadWriteSubTree','ChangePermissions'); if($inherit){"
set "s17= $rule=New-Object System.Security.AccessControl.RegistryAccessRule($own,'FullControl','ContainerInherit','None','Allow');"
set "s18= $acl.ResetAccessRule($rule);$reg.SetAccessControl($acl);} }; $rk=$regkey -split '\\\\',2; $key=$rk[1];"
set "s19=switch -regex ($rk[0]) { '[mM]'{$HK='LocalMachine'};'[uU]'{$HK='CurrentUser'}; default {$HK='ClassesRoot'}; }; $HK; $key;"
set "s20=if($user -eq ''){$user='Administrators'}; [System.Security.Principal.NTAccount]$owner=$user; $rcsv=($recursive -ne '');"
set "s21=Reg_TakeOwnership $HK $key $owner $true; if($rcsv){$r=[Microsoft.Win32.Registry]::$HK.OpenSubKey($key);"
set "s22=foreach($sk in $r.GetSubKeyNames()){$sk; try{ Reg_TakeOwnership $HK $($key+'\\'+$sk) $owner }catch{} }} "
setlocal &for /l %%# in (10,1,22) do call set "ps_RegTakeOwnership=%%ps_RegTakeOwnership%%%%s%%#:'=\"%%"                      
powershell.exe -c " $regkey='%~1';$user='%~2';$recursive='%~3'; %ps_RegTakeOwnership%;"
exit/b                                                    AveYo: call :reg_takeownership "HKLM\MyKey" "NT Service\TrustedInstaller"

:reg_query %1:KeyName %2:ValueName %3:OutputVariable %4:other_options[example: "/t REG_DWORD"]
setlocal & for /f "skip=2 delims=" %%s in ('reg query "%~1" /v "%~2" /z 2^>nul') do set "rq=%%s" & call set "rv=%%rq:*)    =%%"
endlocal & set "%~3=%rv%" & exit/b                                              AveYo: call :reg_query "HKCU\MyKey" "MyValue" MyVar

:need_admin_rights
color 0c&echo. &echo  PERMISSION DENIED! Right-click %~nx0 ^& Run as administrator &timeout /t 60 &color 0f&title %COMSPEC% &exit/b
::end

Last edited:
Soldato
@LtMatt I have an Nvidia card coming tomorrow.. in a way i hope it fixes the DayZ stuttering, but then i would rather AMD to work fine in all honesty. I really dont want to have to switch to team green but if it fixes my stuttering, which only happens in DayZ.. then i'll be selling my 3 AMD cards i have. DayZ is the game i want to play the most, its a tough choice but it will have to be done if it all goes fine tomorrow.

I tried a different mouse yesterday which i hoped was the issue but nope :(

We'll see what happens tomorrow anyway, if i still have the same issues then i really have no clue what is going on.

Seeing streamers running DayZ fine on Nvidia cards like 660 and 960 and even a friend using a 750ti is pretty depressing to be honest. I've only seen DayZ mentioned in AMD driver changelogs once, and that was about 2 years ago.

Maybe time to give up gaming on PC and buy a PS4 for DayZ instead.. sad times :(

I hope it fixes your issue but played DayZ on my mates 1080ti and the stuttering you are describing was there. Pretty sure it was there on his 290x 8gb as well. So it's most likely a game issue. Have played it on 3 separate occasions as he keeps trying to get me to buy it but it's not my type of game. It also feels really unfinished and unpolished.

Soldato
I hope it fixes your issue but played DayZ on my mates 1080ti and the stuttering you are describing was there. Pretty sure it was there on his 290x 8gb as well. So it's most likely a game issue. Have played it on 3 separate occasions as he keeps trying to get me to buy it but it's not my type of game. It also feels really unfinished and unpolished.

How long ago did you play it? Were on Build 1.04 now.

Isnt dayz like arma 3 and is mainly cpu bound so the gfx card isnt gona fix stuff if say the server ur on is heavily scripted and populated.

Naa the new Enfusion Engine put more load on the GPU so its more GPU intensive now.

I also had the same issues on my 6700K 4.7Ghz build with an RX480. Like i said before, the only component that hasnt changed in my PC builds is an 'AMD' GPU. I'll be sending back the Nvidia regardless of whether it fixes it or not, i just want to know what is causing it.

Associate
Ive had an issue for the past couple of weeks where when the GPU is under full load (Vega 56) it will start micro freezing and make a buzzing sound from my speakers. Only happens for 10-20 seconds every 2-4 hours but its annoying, hope my GPU isnt dying and its a driver issue. Using 19.7.2.
Only started happening around a month ago and occurs in the two games im currently playing (Battlefield 5 and Total War Three Kingdoms). Doesnt not occur on desktop usage or on light games, only when the GPU is at 99% load.

Edit: I also get the green/purple screen on bootup or after waking the system if its been idle for a couple hours but it goes away after 2-3 seconds.

Soldato
How long ago did you play it? Were on Build 1.04

Think it was 1.00 or 1.01. Was pretty recent and the game was definitely better than it was previously. Still I found melee attacking the zombies felt unrewarding and unrealistic and they were appearing from no where. I locked one in a cabin and it glitches through the door. The game is still very much a work in progress.

Soldato
Think it was 1.00 or 1.01. Was pretty recent and the game was definitely better than it was previously. Still I found melee attacking the zombies felt unrewarding and unrealistic and they were appearing from no where. I locked one in a cabin and it glitches through the door. The game is still very much a work in progress.

Thats the dynamic spawning of infected, which imo is a really bad way of doing it.

Deffo still work in progress even though its had a full release, and most of the original dev team have left recently, which may be bad for the future of DayZ as theres not many devs left which have a passion for the game.

Roll on tomorrow with some green team in my PC.. last time i had Nvidia it was a GeForce 7600GS!

Soldato
What card did you order? I would have given this a try but at £34 on steam I was not able to test it.

I could try and download it but the builds on there where old like 0.50 and 0.64

Soldato
What card did you order? I would have given this a try but at £34 on steam I was not able to test it.

I could try and download it but the builds on there where old like 0.50 and 0.64

Only an MSI 1050ti Gaming X from the rainforest which will be sent back anyway.

You can buy DayZ on Steam and get a refund..

Where Refunds Apply
The Steam refund offer, within two weeks of purchase and with less than two hours of playtime, applies to games and software applications on the Steam store.

https://store.steampowered.com/steam_refunds/

Anyway i dont want anyone putting themselves out for me, i'll find out soon enough if its AMD or The Game by tomorrow night :)

Soldato
Anyway i dont want anyone putting themselves out for me, i'll find out soon enough if its AMD or The Game by tomorrow night :)

So on my RX480 or my Vega 56 i had stuttering on any settings.. i knew the 1050ti wasnt going to run great on Medium or higher settings, which i tested anyway but the card just isnt powerful enough.

With all Low settings on every option, this included Low AA setting, there was no stuttering on the Nvidia card. Obviously the game looks crap with settings this low.

Like i have been saying for a long time, DayZ isnt optimised on AMD and it seems they are not working together. Also noticed Matt is rather quiet on this subject :(

Sent the 1050ti back today and installed Vega 56 again after toying with the idea of going back to my RX480, sell Vega and buy an AIB 5700XT. Whats the point though? Will be the same old scenario.

At this point i give up, DayZ aint working with AMD or the game is just bad, bad devs, bad everything.. if this game runs fine on someone elses AMD GPU then i guess they got lucky.

Have to say those MSI Gaming X cards are really nice, it looked great in my build.. at least there was one small positive for the 24 hours i had it :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom