• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Permabanned
:confused:

Third party audit suggests AMD drivers are the most stable
https://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/644232/third-party-audit-reveals-amd-drivers-most-stable/

AMD beats Nvidia in the battle for the most stable drivers
https://www.techradar.com/news/amd-beats-nvidia-in-the-battle-for-the-most-stable-drivers

This is July 2018, way later than 2016 when probably was the beginning of the 4-year-period for @humbug.

I think AMD have been going over the top with what they're adding to their drivers, When they moved to the latest yearly update they still hadn't fixed all the issues with the 2019 version, so maybe they should slow down & get everything done before releasing the next flashy. yearly update. We don't need big changes every year, we need stability. I was doing daily recordings of Dirt Rally 2.0 but since moving to Navi the recording feature has been broken for that game & the majority of other games I've tried recording since then. Half-assed updates are useless & likely to get AMD the bad name it had for driver support back.

Permabanned
I think AMD have been going over the top with what they're adding to their drivers, When they moved to the latest yearly update they still hadn't fixed all the issues with the 2019 version, so maybe they should slow down & get everything done before releasing the next flashy. yearly update. We don't need big changes every year, we need stability. I was doing daily recordings of Dirt Rally 2.0 but since moving to Navi the recording feature has been broken for that game & the majority of other games I've tried recording since then. Half-assed updates are useless & likely to get AMD the bad name it had for driver support back.

There are very important technologies for AMD to come in order to improve the competitive position of the company:

1. Variable Rate Shading - this is about improving the FPS;
2. SmartShift - also boosts the performance;
3. Radeon Image Sharpening - improves the image quality to levels which cannot be replicated by the competition;
4. FidelityFX - also improves image quality.

Soldato
The newer drivers worked ok for me but the control panel app does not, it did at first but stopped loading. I went back to 19.12.1 so i could set a fan profile. Have not tried any of the extra features, I tend to ignore most of them.

Permabanned
Yeah I agree @nashathedog I would prefer keep features stagnant now and make them stable for the next 6 months.

Hi, Same here, I think it's especially important now that they've also introduced a new architecture, That alone's gonna take time just like GCN did.

There are very important technologies for AMD to come in order to improve the competitive position of the company:

3. Radeon Image Sharpening - improves the image quality to levels which cannot be replicated by the competition;

Hi, As important as they may be AMD need to take it slower & iron out issues as they find them not leave them to the wayside while they carry on adding more features. I thought they'd of learnt that by now but they seem to be steaming ahead regardless.

Associate
AMD need a Lite driver with all the extras taken out, at least for people that dont use those extra functions or if only to remove the buggy extra parts of the install which cause the issues. Plain old driver and control panel thats actually stable without the bloat. This is something AMD need to do imo.

Associate
AMD need a Lite driver with all the extras taken out, at least for people that dont use those extra functions or if only to remove the buggy extra parts of the install which cause the issues. Plain old driver and control panel thats actually stable without the bloat. This is something AMD need to do imo.

I totally agree. With 20.1.1 I did manually install that through device manager after a complete DDU uninstall but still ended up having to go back 19....

However tommorow I'm putting a new m2 in as primary so I'm going to attempt to install 20.1.3 from fresh without Internet and see how I get on.

Soldato

3. Radeon Image Sharpening - improves the image quality to levels which only I can perceive;

you forgot

5. BlackScreenFX - random black screens and crashes to make owning an AMD that much more fun :p

Soldato
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-1-4
https://drivers.amd.com/drivers/beta/Win10-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-2020-Edition-20.1.4-Jan27.exe

Found this before there publically released lol. Must be due today or tomorrow but not flicked the switch yet.

Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.1.4 Highlights
Support For

• Warcraft III: Reforged™
    • With high presets on the Radeon™ RX 5700 XT, achieve up to 11% better performance playing World of Warcraft® III: Reforged™ with Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 2020 edition 20.1.4 than with Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.1.3.RS-331
  • Journey to the Savage Planet™
Fixed Issues
  • Red Dead Redemption 2™ may experience square or blocky textures on some terrain during gameplay when using Vulkan® API.
  • Some Vulkan® API games may experience a crash or application hang when performing a task switch while Radeon Image Sharpening is enabled.
  • Text overflow is observed in toast messages for some languages.
  • Radeon ReLive may fail to switch recording to desktop when Radeon Software is open.
  • Grand Theft Auto™ 5 may experience a system hang or black screen at launch, when opening Radeon Overlay while in game, or after performing a task switch while in game.
  • Audio may intermittently be missing from Radeon ReLive recordings near the end of recorded clips.
  • Integer Scaling option is not showing up or available on some Windows®7 system configurations.
Known Issues
  • A loss of display with working audio may be experienced on a limited number of displays when performing a mode change on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products.
  • A system crash or hang may occur when running the Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers™ benchmark.
  • Integer Scaling may cause some video content to show flicker when the display resolution is set to less than native resolution.
  • Multiple games may have very dark or very bright graphics in game when HDR is enabled in Windows®.
  • Radeon Anti-Lag enable and disable beep notifications may be played in error when individually pressing keys assigned to the hotkey.
  • The Radeon Software Overlay hotkey notification may sometimes be displayed during video playback in web browsers or launching some video player applications.
  • Radeon Software may open with an inconsistent size or may not keep its previously set size when opened.
  • Some Radeon RX 5700 series graphics users may intermittently experience a black screen while gaming or on desktop. A potential temporary workaround is disabling hardware acceleration in applications running in the background such as web browsers or Discord.
Footnotes

RS-331, Testing conducted by AMD Performance Labs as of January 23, 2020 using a test system comprising of Intel Core i9-9900K CPU (3.6GHz), 16GB DDR4-3200MHz memory, the Radeon™ RX 5700 XT graphics card and Windows 10 x64 with Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.1.4, and 20.1.3. PC manufacturers may vary configurations, yielding different results. Playing World of Warcraft® III: Reforged™ at high presets on the Radeon™ RX 5700 XT, with Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.1.4 scored 234.9 FPS while 20.1.3 scored 211.1 FPS, showing an 11% uplift driver over driver.

Caporegime
Some Radeon RX 5700 series graphics users may intermittently experience a black screen while gaming or on desktop. A potential temporary workaround is disabling hardware acceleration in applications running in the background such as web browsers or Discord.

Black Screens still not fixed! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom