• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Associate
I had issues with that this morning, installed drivers, restarted and it wouldn't boot, said something about the BCD.

The drivers seem fine now they're installed and working.

Associate
23.2.1 all installed and working here.

Since upgrading to the 7900xtx, I've notice my event viewer is littered with AMD_ANR_BG_PROC cannot be found messages. Which was present in the earlier drivers too. Was interested if anyone else has them too?

Associate
Yes will sit this one out for a few weeks. No rush it plays everything I need it to and I use my machine everyday for work. In fact I haven't reinstalled Windows since two motherboards and 3 Ryzen chips as the hassle of reinstalling all my works environments is just to much of a headache. Will have to bite the bullet at some point but rather it wasn't forced upon me.
My update broken windows, but thankfully has a restore file that I made 2 days ago so nothing lost only time.

Associate
Yeah, I will leave it for a few days I think in case the drivers are an issue with boot loops etc (again, reddit). However 10fps on a 6900XT isn't anything to sniff at if true.
My 6800 on the same benchmark went from 22fps to 31fps,so at least they are improving the RT,but I had to roll back to the previous driver because none of my games work,and the fans on my card stopped spinning

Last edited:
Associate
FWIW guys.
I installed this driver over the previous version for my 6700xt.
I didn't reset the settings etc.
Rebooted, took a little long than expected, maybe 60-90secs before the logon screen appeared, but it all seems fine.

Soldato
Latest drivers working fine for me with my 6800XT and 5800X3d though I don't install the AMD front end, I just let the installer unpack the drivers then cancel out and update via Windows Device Manager. For tweaking I use afterburner.

Soldato
Does anyone else encounter an issue trying to use the auto detect driver tool downloading, starting and then erroring out with a "failure to load web resources" message?

I have seen this now on my own personal Legion laptop (5800H / 3080) and a HP Omen (5800H / 6600M) at work.

I have been using the tool with no issue in the past and normal drivers install fine (honestly only using it as Windows keeps randomly "updating" the AMD APU drivers on my laptop despite that option being disabled).

Associate
These are the results I got before and after the driver update,and the RT is now around the same as the 3070 I had

Well you can't argue with that. I have the same card so will install when I return from Hols. If they can improve RT on the 7900XT and XTX cards as well that may well push me to get one end of the year.

Last edited:
Associate
Well you can't argue with that. I have the same card so will install when I return from Hols. If they can improve RT on the 7900XT and XTX cards as well that may well push me to get one end of the year.
Yeah I'm pretty happy with that,but it's a bit weird they didn't mention a RT performance increase in the release notes

Soldato
Yeah I'm pretty happy with that,but it's a bit weird they didn't mention a RT performance increase in the release notes

Does the performance increase translate across games or is it just in 3DMark? Maybe if its only the latter it might explain why it isn't being mentioned (i.e. a nice little bonus causing positive discussions rather than creating an expectation which doesn't translate to reality).

Any performance uplift is welcome of course :)

Associate
Does the performance increase translate across games or is it just in 3DMark? Maybe if its only the latter it might explain why it isn't being mentioned (i.e. a nice little bonus causing positive discussions rather than creating an expectation which doesn't translate to reality).

Any performance uplift is welcome of course :)
I have only tried Shadow of the tomb raider benchmark,and I got around a 10fps increase at 4k ultra settings,I will test what it's like in game later

Soldato
I have no real comparison as got my 6800 Phantom yesterday and started on the new drivers, but my goodness these seem good!!

Was really not expecting the performance out of this card I am getting, on paper where you look around its not a million miles over the 3060ti it replaces, but it absolutely destroys it in everything I have tried.

3440x1440 - Spiderman max settings with RTX: 70fps / Doom Eternal Ultra Nightmare w/RT: 120fps / Quake 2 RTX Max: 90fps / NFS Unbound Max: 80-90fps (up from 35-50 on ti) / Horizon 5 Extreme RT max: 110fps / Forespoken High settings with RT: 70fps

Associate
I have no real comparison as got my 6800 Phantom yesterday and started on the new drivers, but my goodness these seem good!!

Was really not expecting the performance out of this card I am getting, on paper where you look around its not a million miles over the 3060ti it replaces, but it absolutely destroys it in everything I have tried.

3440x1440 - Spiderman max settings with RTX: 70fps / Doom Eternal Ultra Nightmare w/RT: 120fps / Quake 2 RTX Max: 90fps / NFS Unbound Max: 80-90fps (up from 35-50 on ti) / Horizon 5 Extreme RT max: 110fps / Forespoken High settings with RT: 70fps
It beats the 3070 ti in raw performance,so it's definitely a step up,and makes the card even better with the RT increase

Last edited:
Soldato
yeah i finally feel i have the proper grunt to deal with ultrawide now, proper chuffed with the investment, if it wasn't for my SFX PSU being new and a 600w i was considering an XT. Those things must be monsters!

Back
Top Bottom