• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
Anyone seen this warning before? It's only happened previously when playing WZ2 but today it happened in Cities Skylines as well.

Basically the VGA goes, monitor goes in to standby but I can still hear sound. So I have to kill the computer. Boots back up fine but then my drivers are borked and I get the error message when I try to open AMD software. So then have to reinstall drivers.

Windows Update may have automatically replaced you amd graphics driver. Hence, the version of amd software you have launched is not compatible with you currently installed amd graphics driver.

Recently upgraded to Windows 11 but was doing it on Windows 10 too. Not overly frequent but it's done it on a few versions of drivers too, again have been on the recent drivers and it just did it.

Edit - Oh 6800 card btw since launch.

Last edited:
Soldato
If amd software doesnt work then windows sneakily overwrote through a windows update ur driver. You have to edit the windows update policy not to download and install divers but ask if you want them then ask if u wana install em or u can just turn off which i have done. As i had that trouble awhile back and im on win 10 with a 6700xt. Its a known issue thats been discussed some months back on here.

If you dont mind windows update doing it but want adrenalin to work again u can get adrenalin off the windows store and that version would work, tho might be lacking in features to the proper one.

Last edited:
Associate
^ I use this approach myself, but be aware that you can only modify group policy settings on Pro and Business editions of Windows 11, there is no Group Policy Editor in home editions.

Soldato
If amd software doesnt work then windows sneakily overwrote through a windows update ur driver. You have to edit the windows update policy not to download and install divers but ask if you want them then ask if u wana install em or u can just turn off which i have done. As i had that trouble awhile back and im on win 10 with a 6700xt. Its a known issue thats been discussed some months back on here.

If you dont mind windows update doing it but want adrenalin to work again u can get adrenalin off the windows store and that version would work, tho might be lacking in features to the proper one.
Ah great cheers. So this should sort it?

How to Enable or Disable Automatic Driver Updates on Windows 11​

Way 1. Turn On or Off Windows 11 Automatic Driver Updates from Control Panel​

1. Click Start menu, type change device installation settings, click Change device installation settings in the search results to open the Device installation settings window.
  2. Select the No (your device might not work as expected) option and click the Save Changes button. This will stop Windows 11 from automatically updating drivers.
  3. To enable automatic driver updates in Windows 11 again, you can access the Device installation settings window again and select the Yes (recommended) option.

Soldato
I ditched chrome had nothing but performance issues and scrolling issues on it, went to edge, far nicer and smoother and with the transfer from chrome to edge thing it does it was smooth to do too. Up to you if u wana have a go tho. Just dont enable any performance efficiency modes tho on it as it will make it like 50 or 40hz display and be crap which i found out using ufo test site for to check the monitor hz and found that mode on it was the cause of it not being 75 (native on mine) but more like 40-50 i think it was.

Also when u say city skylines crashing i was reading about it having issues if ur ram aint using xmp or expo ram settings, probs not related at all but do check if ur mb has it turned on, tho if using a am5 build, know about the expo issue and cpu failing. If not on am5 u shouldnt worry about using it if not on.

Last edited:
Associate

windows did this on my last DDU

Associate
I'm getting some weird driver timeouts from time to time on the 23.4.3 driver.. even @stock settings when playing BF2043. Anyone else seen this?
I was getting some weird timeouts mostly when doing 3d rendering in windows but MW2 has also become increasingly unstable

keep thinking it might be a fresh windows install time but hate that process really should have snapshot it

Associate
windows did this on my last DDU
Same here, could not open Adrenalin as windows had updated the driver. I go download the latest amd drivers, follow the advice above to make sure windows update isn't interfering, then run DDU before installing the driver and I still can not open Adrenalin though I'm getting all the notifications for it.

Soldato
I was getting some weird timeouts mostly when doing 3d rendering in windows but MW2 has also become increasingly unstable

keep thinking it might be a fresh windows install time but hate that process really should have snapshot it
My win11 is completely fresh and updated.. so it could be a KB update.. it could be a driver bug.. its anyone's guess :(

Associate
Same here, could not open Adrenalin as windows had updated the driver. I go download the latest amd drivers, follow the advice above to make sure windows update isn't interfering, then run DDU before installing the driver and I still can not open Adrenalin though I'm getting all the notifications for it.
unplugged the network cable

Back
Top Bottom