• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**THE AMD DRIVERS THREAD**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes because they're the only company ever to delay something a couple of days. Where do people keep saying AMD drivers suck? As lately nvidia seem to be having more issues getting a decent driver out. People seem to have it in their heads that AMD have delayed the driver just to annoy people when it's pretty obvious they've delayed it to do what they've said and make tweaks.

Read my post again and tell me where I complained about the lateness of the actual driver. I was attempting to highlight how AMD, by committing to an exact release date so many weeks ago, then failing to deliver is making them look like idiots.

There are many people who will use any excuse to rag on AMD and their drivers. AMD giving them ammunition, no matter how trivial is bad marketing.

Read my post again and tell me where I complained about the lateness of the actual driver. I was attempting to highlight how AMD, by committing to an exact release date so many weeks ago, then failing to deliver is making them look like idiots.

There are many people who will use any excuse to rag on AMD and their drivers. AMD giving them ammunition, no matter how trivial is bad marketing.

I agree to some extent, but it's not like this release has been all over AMD's website for weeks. It's a driver update only, and something only enthusiasts would know about in advance, and it's a day late.

I agree with ICDP. Promising something to customers then failing to deliver, or even inform them of delay beforehand is one sure way to upset your customer base. It made me go and look for a couple of 780s last night, fortunately I saw the light and didn't press the buy button :D

I agree with ICDP. Promising something to customers then failing to deliver, or even inform them of delay beforehand is one sure way to upset your customer base. It made me go and look for a couple of 780s last night, fortunately I saw the light and didn't press the buy button :D

Releasing a driver to early is worse.
Burning smoke from the Nvidia card, voice in background "hey honey your computer plays burn the rubber"....

Releasing a driver to early is worse.
Burning smoke from the Nvidia card, voice in background "hey honey your computer plays burn the rubber"....

My point is about the lack of communication over missing the date they set, not about whether they should have released a driver that isn't ready

My point is about the lack of communication over missing the date they set, not about whether they should have released a driver that isn't ready

This is part of my point as well, yet people seem to think we are moaning about the lack of the actual driver. If you have a bad reputation (even if it is undeserved), the worst thing you should do is give people reason to believe that reputation is deserved.

It takes years to build a good reputation but only seconds to destroy it. In AMDs case they have been working damned hard to prove their drivers and hardware are every bit the equal of Nvidia's offerings. All it takes is one or two scenarios like this and all the good work improving peoples perceptions is undone.

This negativity could have simply been avoided by giving a driver release date of "end of July or start of August".

pgi947 thing is its second delay.... they ware supposed to be out by end of June if i remember.

Correct, first date was a rough 'sometime June' followed by the set date of 31st July.

It's one day though, I feel thracks has explained it well enough, found something minor wrong prior to release that wasn't noticed earlier, probably highlighted by a reviewer, which I'm sure we'll find out about in due course.

I understand some seeing this as amd being crud 'oh amd all talk etc...' but it's ONE DAY. nobody here in a deadline focused job can honestly tell me they haven't spotted an issue at the very last minute, only to hold the job back a few days to make sure everything is perfect for the customer, I know from personal experience a customer would rather have it right the first time and slightly delayed, then have it on time and faulty.

Can we all relax now?

So many people thinking that this driver will be a miracle...
So many people with single gpu thinking the same...

they need to know that this driver will TRY to fix crossfire issues for multi-gpus

the problem is when you expect too much from something, you end up disappointed.

Jeez calm down people, 1 day to fix a problem they have found at 11th hour. I know what I would do and do it everyday working on projects. Best get it right for the sake of a day.

I am running a 7990 and this driver is much needed, but you know what, I'll happily wait a few extra days for a working one.

Some of you are acting as if your mum has forgotten your birthday.

jkb thats what i am saying. I must have spent 2 hours spamming amd and guru3d web site over last 2 days waiting for those drivers to test them out....

could have told us 15 August..... i would be happy with that.

i hope the frame pacing isn't just a glorified way of saying they will buffer a few frames ahead of time and display them in a more orderly and timed way. cos that just sounds like another way of adding lag into the system

i hope the frame pacing isn't just a glorified way of saying they will buffer a few frames ahead of time and display them in a more orderly and timed way. cos that just sounds like another way of adding lag into the system

The tradeoff for modulating frame pacing in software is a small delay in user input. That is always the tradeoff. Some users want the most responsive user input possible (e.g. competitive twitch FPS gamers), while most will prefer the even frame pacing in games where it has been apparent.

Whatever the user's preference, we strongly believe in giving the user a choice, and we're pleased to be delivering the driver in the June/July timeframe we promised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom