• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Navi is Raja's first full-blown project, let's see what he's made of ;)
This is what I am thinking. But don't worry, if it sucks, we will just say: Not Raja's fault, AMD have hardly any R&D budget vs Nvidia and much smaller driver team who cannot get the most out of his design ;)

Associate
Well i hope Navi can leverage the multi-die infinity fabric tech seen on Threadripper, it should help them output cards that can compete whilst being cheaper. Though at this stage IPC will have to be improved as will power draw. No excuses - AMD don't come out competitive next time, i'll be jumping on Nvidia.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Looking at the positions of products on that chart and bearing in mind the actual release dates I'd say 2019 is more likely.

Vega's delays shouldn't have any knock on effect to Navi. I'd imagine it's an entirely different team on that project that's been ticking along through all the Vega drama.

Wasn't there meant to be a Vega refresh before Navi however?

Man of Honour
Before anyone gets too excited - I highly suspect that first round of Navi cards will be essentially a shrunk Vega with some architectural changes to prepare for a subsequent release - on a matured 7nm+ - which will have more of the scalability implementation.

2019 at the earliest, next year is vega20

IIRC GF 7nm goes into high volume production around 2H 2018 and likely risk production will commence on GPU sized stuff about the same time so probably at least 4 months beyond that before a release - being AMD I'd say Q2 2019 wouldn't be unexpected.

The refined variant of the process that would be needed really for any kind of "chiplet" type implementation is pencilled in for 2020.

Last edited:
Associate
A Navi thread already before Vega 56 is out ?! And after Vega 700 pages.. I think
raf,750x1000,075,t,fafafa:ca443f4786.u3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom