• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Soldato
What's the purpose of this thread other than to build unnecessary hype, speculation and wishful thinking? Seems more like place for NVIDIA fanboys to be given another change at slating AMD.

Soldato
OP
It's 18 months away imo. We'll get refreshed Vega in-between.

Going by the AMD released timescale, Navi is 2018 release, let me find the post...

Capsaicin-_Presented-by-_AMD-_Radeon_FINAL-page-012.jpg

Soldato
In my view all AMD needs to do is bring out cards that offer just as good £/performance - it doesn't have to be the highest top end, look at how popular the 6900/6950s were - as Nvidia's stuff, and focus on bringing freesync to the masses.

Freesync compatible TVs are going to be a thing in 2018 and AMD needs to take advantage of it. I know that when freesync 4kTVs are available, I will forever go team red since I do all my PC gaming off the bigscreen with a controller in hand. A lot of people have that kind of setup. Variable refresh rate on TVs are a gigantic missing hole for PC gaming that needs to be filled and AMD is in a good spot to fill it with Navi. Look at the amount of Steam games with full controller support. There's a huge market there.

Permabanned
This is the part that concerns me most about Navi, esp as it's rumoured to be such a radical design.

I wonder if Vega will become the unloved sibling, If as you say Navi is a very different design we could end up with Navi replacing it and Vega support not being as good as it should be, It took AMD years to perfect GCN so if Vega's NCU is very different like the separate drivers and poor driver support we are now seeing on release imply, Vega's driver support could end up being pushed to the wayside when Navi releases. Hopefully it won't take them that long to get the drivers right.

Soldato
Well 1h was Vega release date. It hit that with the FE and tbh gaming cards are couple months behind that. So not as late as everyone keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepppppsssss making out.... Worst comes to worst Navi will be late 2018 like Q3 or early Q3. If there is going to be a Vega refresh it will be late 2017 early 2018.

Permabanned
Whacka whacka :p i was more leaning towards the roadmap chart that is above, no point on it is vega 7nm so im more wondering on timescale on that more then is vega 20 going tobe navi but does vega 20 take the place of navi on the chart.

It won't be a surprise if that's totally wrong now anyway, I don't think Navi will be anytime soon considering how hard it seems to have been getting Vega out the door. I'd bet on Volta releasing in 2018 and having a full year at the top before Navi turns up to compete with it. I'm pretty sure we'll see a Vega refresh just like we saw a Polaris refresh, Whether it's on 10, 14 or 7nm is anyone's guess.

Associate
You do remember how late Vega is right? It was quite a recent thing? And that was marked at the beginning of 2017. It'll be 2019.

There's no suggestion that Vega's delays had any sort of knock on effect to Navi. If memory serves, there will be at least two development teams working separately to a degree on successive generations of products? If that is the case, Navi should still be on track to meet it's original release window?

There are obviously a few things which could change that.

a) AMD may want to hold Navi back to recover as much money from Vega as possible before throwing it in the trash.
b) Design issues which need to be ironed out (re-spin etc).
c) Partner issues, like the HBM problems they had with Vega, or yield issues from whoever is manufacturing the wafers.

Associate
It won't be a surprise if that's totally wrong now anyway, I don't think Navi will be anytime soon considering how hard it seems to have been getting Vega out the door. I'd bet on Volta releasing in 2018 and having a full year at the top before Navi turns up to compete with it. I'm pretty sure we'll see a Vega refresh just like we saw a Polaris refresh, Whether it's on 10, 14 or 7nm is anyone's guess.

Mm i cant disagree with you there, but i do wonder if its a case of workflow chained or there independantly being created, in that im reffering to vega and navi r&d and creation. But when it comes to volta im wondering if there arnt going tobe some shocked people, to me that looks like its going tobe a monster compute card at consumer level, akin to what vega really is. And ye volta might be powerful but what if its around as powerful as good overclocked 1080ti but its strengths are more broad then a pascal.

Soldato
I'm wondering about this infinity fabric and something I heard about the downscaling of Crossfire support again while back. If they are pushing multi-chip interposers, Crossfire wouldn't be needed but a radical reworking of drivers and software would be. I can only assume this will be what consoles are going to be running and their games are programmed for.

What's the scaling between chips with infinity, 90% or something like that? How many do you guys think they intend to stitch together in one package? I haven't heard specifics if there are any.

Soldato
Going by the AMD released timescale, Navi is 2018 release, let me find the post...

Capsaicin-_Presented-by-_AMD-_Radeon_FINAL-page-012.jpg

Read what it says just under where the years are stated, that will give you a big hint of what's happened to Navi i.e its Navi-gated it's way closer to 2019.

To draw it out longer AMD will say H2 2018 by which they actually mean December 2018 and by December 2018 that only means they give us half baked barely working card that their charging silly money for and the RX version the one we here only care about it actually coming some time in Q1 2019.

Associate
i4Ln1zY.png

Navi should be 2018/19 and it's designed by a different team to the ones who designed Vega, most likely the ones who designed Polaris as they were both designed around the same time but Polaris entered the market a year earlier.

It's interesting because being on 7nm they should have the node advantage over Volta which will most likely be 12nm like the V100. I think because of that they should be able to compete relatively well with each other.

Associate
I'm wondering about this infinity fabric and something I heard about the downscaling of Crossfire support again while back. If they are pushing multi-chip interposers, Crossfire wouldn't be needed but a radical reworking of drivers and software would be. I can only assume this will be what consoles are going to be running and their games are programmed for.

What's the scaling between chips with infinity, 90% or something like that? How many do you guys think they intend to stitch together in one package? I haven't heard specifics if there are any.

Its not that crossfire is being downscaled, its more its going tobe upto developers to code for it more then they have before i think. CF is defo on the rx vega slides, but like a lot of the features for vega it simply isnt enabled yet, and its not shocking, there basically running vega on beefed up fury drivers right now so rasterization, hbcc, rpm, pd arnt enabled on fe nor rx. As for scaling on infinity fabric i dont know enough about it, but if we use the cpu implimentation of it then we see how connected they can go.

Now the golden question is how this relates to navi and what from vega could be related to navi.

Back
Top Bottom