• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Associate
The chip itself is made in Taiwan but I'm sure iirc, the cards are assembled in China and shipped from there, hence the tariff would apply?

It would not surprise me if the UK gets its products tariff free but the retailers add it anyway and hope nobody questions it, therefore pocketing an extra 25% or being able to offer big discounts whenever they want :p

Conspiracy theory right there... I've been watching too much American Politics :D

Maybe.. dosent it depend on where Gibbo gets the stocks from?

@Gibbo any chance you can enlighten us on this? Will you avoid tariffs if shipments come direct from China or are they shipped from the USA?

I know its a cheeky question but had to ask :p

Soldato
OP
That "dent" makes the card look stupid. I didn't see it when they live streamed the show last night. Now in the cold hard light of day, what the **** were they thinking when designing the shroud??

GPU itself looks decent, price is meh, cooler shroud is ridiculous

Soldato
that "dent" makes the card look stupid. I didn't see it when they live streamed the show last night. Now in the cold hard light of day, what the **** were they thinking when designing the shroud??

CPU itself looks decent, price is meh, cooler shroud is ridiculous
Price is meh, gpu is meh, amd are meh

Do I have to go through every single watched thread? Or is there just an option somewhere that disables email notification for all?

Soldato
OP
We need to give AMD time to sort the GPU side out, now the CPU side is sorted and generating money. Remember the GPU R&D is miniscule in comparison to NVIDIA. When AMD get the cash flowing from the CPU side, it'll hopefully be put into GPU side and they can do more.

People on here forget that AMD's GPU R&D isn't even close to Nvidias, yet they are demanding AMD match or beat NVIDIA. Give them time. I remember that, VERY recently, people lamented AMD for rubbish CPU's. Now look...

Soldato
We need to give AMD time to sort the GPU side out, now the CPU side is sorted and generating money. Remember the GPU R&D is miniscule in comparison to NVIDIA. When AMD get the cash flowing from the CPU side, it'll hopefully be put into GPU side and they can do more.

People on here forget that AMD's GPU R&D isn't even close to Nvidias, yet they are demanding AMD match or beat NVIDIA.
Yes they can compete with Intel, an even bigger company

Associate

People on here forget that AMD's GPU R&D isn't even close to Nvidias, yet they are demanding AMD match or beat NVIDIA. Give them time. I remember that, VERY recently, people lamented AMD for rubbish CPU's. Now look...

I've said this before, they're competing with the biggest in both GPU and CPU and doing very well. However, as a consumer, should this really matter to us?

Caporegime
People keep going on about blower-style coolers but why do manufacturers keep using them in OEM-spec cards? Is it really cost, or is it to cater for all installations and reduce the risk of overheating problems in ITX cases etc.?

Associate
Nvidia make something like 60 - 90 margin on their products and yet here we are calling out AMD as greedy for trying to make 40% (if they are even getting that).

The 7nm process is vastly more expensive than the 12nm used by Nvidia. That is the sole reason Nvidia still use the 12nm node, so they can make enormous profits at the expense of their customers.

AMD made the decision to go 7nm and are selling their products at the going rate, which is set by the market leader.

If you don't like the price, don't buy, it's really that simple. However, look at Nvidia. Everyone complained about their prices but still went out and bought their cards regardless.

AMD should get to sell competing performance for comparable prices. That's about all there is to say. They aren't in the business of making martyrs of themselves. They want to make money.

Soldato
Nvidia make something like 60 - 90 margin on their products and yet here we are calling out AMD as greedy for trying to make 40% (if they are even getting that).

The 7nm process is vastly more expensive than the 12nm used by Nvidia. That is the sole reason Nvidia still use the 12nm node, so they can make enormous profits at the expense of their customers.

AMD made the decision to go 7nm and are selling their products at the going rate, which is set by the market leader.

If you don't like the price, don't buy, it's really that simple. However, look at Nvidia. Everyone complained about their prices but still went out and bought their cards regardless.

AMD should get to sell competing performance for comparable prices. That's about all there is to say. They aren't in the business of making martyrs of themselves. They want to make money.
Profit margin source?

Soldato
I've said this before, they're competing with the biggest in both GPU and CPU and doing very well. However, as a consumer, should this really matter to us?

They're biggest because AMD is their only competitor, it's not exactly a competition especially for Nvidia, they basically have a monopoly as we can all quite easily see from their overpricing of hardware

The point is that AMD used to be able to compete with Nvida AND Intel, they weren't always the best but the price made up for the slight hit in performance, now they seem just focused on beating Intel while allowing Nvidia to gouge prices on the high end market, no idea why AMD aren't pushing out high end cards when they've proven they're capable in the past

Back
Top Bottom