1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by subbytna, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Illuminist

Wise Guy

Price is meh, gpu is meh, amd are meh

Do I have to go through every single watched thread? Or is there just an option somewhere that disables email notification for all?

2. subbytna

Sgarrista

We need to give AMD time to sort the GPU side out, now the CPU side is sorted and generating money. Remember the GPU R&D is miniscule in comparison to NVIDIA. When AMD get the cash flowing from the CPU side, it'll hopefully be put into GPU side and they can do more.

People on here forget that AMD's GPU R&D isn't even close to Nvidias, yet they are demanding AMD match or beat NVIDIA. Give them time. I remember that, VERY recently, people lamented AMD for rubbish CPU's. Now look...

3. Illuminist

Wise Guy

Yes they can compete with Intel, an even bigger company

4. subbytna

Sgarrista

INTEL is CPU
    NVIDIA is GPU

2 different sections of their business

5. Chrisc

Hitman

I've said this before, they're competing with the biggest in both GPU and CPU and doing very well. However, as a consumer, should this really matter to us?

6. ANDREW GREEN

Gangster

What do people think of their image sharpening tech?

7. Participant

Caporegime

People keep going on about blower-style coolers but why do manufacturers keep using them in OEM-spec cards? Is it really cost, or is it to cater for all installations and reduce the risk of overheating problems in ITX cases etc.?

8. Troezar

Mobster

Well at £400 this is touch and go, at £500 hahaha no chance...

9. Satchfanuk

Gangster

Nvidia make something like 60 - 90 margin on their products and yet here we are calling out AMD as greedy for trying to make 40% (if they are even getting that).

The 7nm process is vastly more expensive than the 12nm used by Nvidia. That is the sole reason Nvidia still use the 12nm node, so they can make enormous profits at the expense of their customers.

AMD made the decision to go 7nm and are selling their products at the going rate, which is set by the market leader.

If you don't like the price, don't buy, it's really that simple. However, look at Nvidia. Everyone complained about their prices but still went out and bought their cards regardless.

AMD should get to sell competing performance for comparable prices. That's about all there is to say. They aren't in the business of making martyrs of themselves. They want to make money.

10. flea.rider

Hitman

so the 5700xt is 10% faster than a standard v64??? so when you under volt and overclock it's the same ? and cost more .. ouch

11. Illuminist

Wise Guy

Profit margin source?

12. Satchfanuk

Gangster

Vega is EOL and so needs to be cleared out, hence the lower prices. The 5700 is higher to help this effort I would guess and maybe will come down a bit once all the Vega and Polaris cards are gone.

13. shankly1985

Capodecina

Will need to see more but so far looking promising.

14. Minusorange

Mobster

They're biggest because AMD is their only competitor, it's not exactly a competition especially for Nvidia, they basically have a monopoly as we can all quite easily see from their overpricing of hardware

The point is that AMD used to be able to compete with Nvida AND Intel, they weren't always the best but the price made up for the slight hit in performance, now they seem just focused on beating Intel while allowing Nvidia to gouge prices on the high end market, no idea why AMD aren't pushing out high end cards when they've proven they're capable in the past

15. Stanners

Don

Very interested to have a read on these margin's, got a link?

16. shankly1985

Capodecina

My take on this is to allow board partners to make their own coolers. If AMD and Nvidia just released a be all cooler what would happen to the likes of MSI, ASUS etc or even first party AIO like Sapphire for AMD

17. RavenXXX2

Capodecina

AMD are making huge margins on navi, it might be 7 nm but it's only 251 mm compared to 445 mm of the 2070.

18. Satchfanuk

Gangster

It was in a YouTube video I watched this morning but I can't remember who it was. A quick look on some financial websites though and you can see up until recently their margins at 60-65% overall. This is obviously for their whole product portfolio so the 60 - 90 range is quite believable since some products will make way more than others.

19. DragonQ

Soldato

Yes, I included VAT. $449 = £353.47 = £424.16 inc VAT.

I know OcUK will charge £500 and call it a bargain but SRP is ~£425.

20. Chrisc

Hitman

Was this back when AMD & Ati were different entities?