• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Caporegime
The tile based renderer is (as far as I know) what is giving Navi the performance boost it's gaining over Vega so it would be very similar to that change. There will be other smaller things I am sure, but I am pretty certain that's a big part of the Navi architectural changes.

The Tile based renderer was introduced in vega but was apparently not very effective. AMD likely made improvements there for sure.

Caporegime
I'm telling you now, aint no one buying AMD 2070 performance for £500, not even £400.

Well, performance estimates are accurate given AMD's figures, they could only be equal or lower than they said. The price rumour looked accurate, and I can totally see AMD trying this. They will try to market it as faster than a 2070 even although it will perform the same, so they will charge the same price 1 year later.

Soldato
Still feeling like my Vega 56 Pulse was an amazing deal, after selling my games I really only paid £230 for it!

Same, was hoping for a bit more performance for around £300 because (Worse reason to sell a GPU ever) I dont like the red light or centre PCIE sockets but it looks like it will be the Price/Performance king for a while yet if Navi price rumours are true

Associate
I feel like AMD are in a bit of a tough spot here, on one hand "its faster than a 2070 for the same money" should be a perfectly good marketing strategy, but with the lack of mind share and the recent heavy price drops on the vega 64 it feels like it need to be under $400 to be worthwhile.

Still until we see the price its all guesswork. For me over £450 its a terrible card and under £350 its great :p

Associate
Why are the usual suspects here that are insisting Navi is GCN not also insisting that Zen is Jaguar?

If the former is true, so is the latter.

Any reasonable person would describe them as new architectures. Virtually nothing is clean slate anymore.

P.S. For those who aren't aware, Zen was NOT by any means a clean slate. It began with Jaguar as a base design and iterated from there.

Caporegime
Why are the usual suspects here that are insisting Navi is GCN not also insisting that Zen is Jaguar?

If the former is true, so is the latter.

Any reasonable person would describe them as new architectures. Virtually nothing is clean slate anymore.

P.S. For those who aren't aware, Zen was NOT by any means a clean slate. It began with Jaguar as a base design and iterated from there.

The “Zen” core is an all-new “clean sheet” x86 processor design that’s inspiring a new generation of high-performance AMD computing products in 2017 and beyond.

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/zen-core

Associate
If anyone is still wondering if Navi is GCN , AMD's very own drivers prove it is GCN:
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Drive...-be-based-on-Graphics-Core-Next.419679.0.html

Before I get any more hate mail, as i said several times already, I don't think that matters much at all. Lets see what the performance is like.

When most people refer to GCN, they mean the microarchitecture itself, not the ISA. Hawaii, Fiji, Polaris, Vega all kept the basic structure that was introduced with Tahiti back in 2012.

It's like with CPUs, when people refer to their architecture, they mean Zen or Coffeelake and not x86-64.

With Navi, AMD have undoubtedly made significant changes to that structure to call it a new architecture. Rumours are that they've widened it to 8 shader engines for Navi 10, but it remains to be confirmed.

Caporegime
Doesn't matter what it says there. Jaguar was what they started with. It didn't bear much relation to it by the end, but it's the design they started with.

If jaguar was what they started with they would have had the cpu out much sooner than what they did. So I'm doubting it.

Jaguar was a lower power core CPU, doubt they could have done much with the design to totally change it as using an existing design would probably mean it inherited some of the same drawbacks.

I've yet to see anyone else make this claim about zen being based on something else.

Soldato
I can see there issue AMD have. I really want to go AMD for a new GPU but what to buy? Radeon VII is good but expensive and really the value lies in being able to use the compute power. Vega 64 is ok but a bit power hungry and is not a higher end card. Navi looks like it won't be competing against the 2080 and sounds expensive for what it is.

I don't want to buy Nvidia but AMD aren't giving me any compelling alternatives. I won't buy something inferior for the money just because it's AMD. Bit of a tricky one...

Back
Top Bottom