• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD R9 290 (non x) Thread

hmmm very tempted just concerned about the temp issues i've been hearing soo much about, anyone had any issues here?

i'd personally wait a month or so for the custom cooled ones to come out, a reviewer put a 280x cooler (the his iceqx one i think) on a 290 and the temps were cut to like the 60s in normal game play and 70s in furmark, just shows how bad the stock cooler is.
i dont care what amd says, 95 degrees is too hot for any pc component, i doubt a lot of these stock cooled ones will last their years guarantee!

6950 had 2gb didnt it? tbh i cant remember, but i never had probs with bf:bc2

they came in 2gb and 1gb variants!

Last edited:
So I'm going to be putting a waterblock on mine ASAP but am a little concerned as I cannot seem to unlock voltage control in MSI Afterburner...

Anyone had any luck?

My Sapphire R9 290 is currently at 1150Mhz Core / 1250Mhz Memory and its running beautifully but will need additional voltage in order to push up beyond this.

I don't think afterburner can change the volts on these until they update it, as far as. I know you can flash the Asus 290x bios to the card and then Asus GPU tweak let's you control the voltage.

Mine seems to be maxed at 1150 core on stock voltage which I think is pretty damn impressive.

Are you guys using the stock cooler? If so, what fan speed % do you have it set to?

I'm on stock cooler - manually set fan speed at 55%.

Don't really know what all the fuss is about its pretty quiet if you set it lower and in my case (350D) stays below 60c on full load?

I'm going to put mine under water because the rest of the system is a custom loop so makes sense to overclock the hell out of it NOT because of the noise.

What drivers are you all using. Quick test, I stuck everything on max settings for Max Payne, Crysis and both crashed to desktop. Literally just went black and disappeared. Wonder if it's the drivers as it wasn't a "program not responding" just vanished?! Rome total war seemed fine however..

Think I'm using 13.11 beta drivers

:/

Back
Top Bottom