• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD R9 290 (non x) Thread

Honestly mate crossfire and bf4 isn't feeling very good ATM its obviously less smooth with a second card even though the fps is higher. I've seen this with 2x7950's and with my cousins crossfire 290x setup 1 card feels smoother with less frames in bf4.

I've seen this at resolutions above 1080p on both AMD and Intel based systems using latest drivers.

Honestly mate crossfire and bf4 isn't feeling very good ATM its obviously less smooth with a second card even though the fps is higher. I've seen this with 2x7950's and with my cousins crossfire 290x setup 1 card feels smoother with less frames in bf4.

I've seen this at resolutions above 1080p on both and and Intel based systems using latest drivers.

Aww, that sucks :( I wonder if it's a driver problem, or something DICE need to fix.

Thanks for the feedback, and for posting your Afterburner fan curve the other day when I asked you to!

From an i7 920 a Haswell 4770K is a decent jump for everything but gaming and upgrading would be a waste of money IMHO.

My 920 has been rock solid at 4 gig for the last five years. I was thinking about upgrading my pros, mobo and ram but wanted a graphics upgrade first.
Ive got a 6970 atm, so i was thinking that it would give me the best improvement in games. Gaming is my main pc use.

I just added a 250 Sammy evo which has vastly improved my load times.

maybe just get one 290 and crossfire when i get the new pros, mobo and ram?

Thinking about getting two of these when they have better coolers.

Two questions, will a 5 year old 1000w enermax galaxy run them?
Its getting on a bit and I`m wondering whether it would have the required connectivity.

And would my i7 920 bottleneck them too much?

still not seen any news that these will be available before christmas
AMD are scared of success they dont want to sell too many!

and besides they dont want to make nvidia look bad either it being season of goodwill! :)

Aww, that sucks :( I wonder if it's a driver problem, or something DICE need to fix.

Thanks for the feedback, and for posting your Afterburner fan curve the other day when I asked you to!

Your welcome.

I think driver updates and game updates will improve crossfire battlefield 3 had similar issues for some time.

still not seen any news that these will be available before christmas
AMD are scared of success they dont want to sell too many!

and besides they dont want to make nvidia look bad either it being season of goodwill! :)

Ive waited about 5 yrs to upgrade a couple more months won`t matter :)

My 920 has been rock solid at 4 gig for the last five years. I was thinking about upgrading my pros, mobo and ram but wanted a graphics upgrade first.
Ive got a 6970 atm, so i was thinking that it would give me the best improvement in games. Gaming is my main pc use.

I just added a 250 Sammy evo which has vastly improved my load times.

maybe just get one 290 and crossfire when i get the new pros, mobo and ram?

Absolutely. If you want to see improved game performance a GPU upgrade will be the only thing that doesn't make you feel you wasted your money.

There is a reason CPU benchmarks are run with 1024x768 benchmarks with low details, they don't want the test to be GPU bottlenecked. Once you dial up the settings and resolution to anything resembling decent the GPU becomes the bottleneck.

Some games will benefit but by far a R9 290 is a much more of an impact on gaming.

Hi chaps, quickie if I may?

I have an Antec High current gamer 620w and am looking to upgrade mt GTX480 to the Ati 290 (non x).

Anyone know if it will run or do i need a psu upgrade?

rest of the system is an I5 2500k @ 4.0gig

Cheers

I'm running mine on an Antec 650 PSU and it's fine.

Anyone having stability issues?

Fitted my Sapphire R9 290 today and had nothing but problems.

Its running stock settings, on the latest beta driver. PSU is a Corsair AX860 - System was pretty much rock solid before install. So to eliminate all software issues I have done a fresh install, however still getting the same problem, have had BSOD, crazy graphical patterns / lock ups, display driver stops responding ect ect - all while just browsing the net or installing updates ect. In fact I am surprised I have managed to make this post without an issue.

Any ideas?

Anyone having stability issues?

Fitted my Sapphire R9 290 today and had nothing but problems.

Its running stock settings, on the latest beta driver. PSU is a Corsair AX860 - System was pretty much rock solid before install. So to eliminate all software issues I have done a fresh install, however still getting the same problem, have had BSOD, crazy graphical patterns / lock ups, display driver stops responding ect ect - all while just browsing the net or installing updates ect. In fact I am surprised I have managed to make this post without an issue.

Any ideas?

Likely a dodgy card.
it might be some specific to your hardware but that is unlikely.
check bios if the MB has pci-e 2 or 3.
might help change those.

I think I got a bad clocker, max I can do without artifacts is 1050MHz.

If I push it to 1060 and Alt+Tab to desktop whilst gaming I can see very small horizontal white line interference which I think is an artifact, doesn't happen at 1050.

Never mind though! At 1050 the performance is more than I will need until 20nm arrives

Back
Top Bottom