• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD R9 290 (non x) Thread

Anyone having stability issues?
Fitted my Sapphire R9 290 today and had nothing but problems.

Its running stock settings, on the latest beta driver. PSU is a Corsair AX860 - System was pretty much rock solid before install. So to eliminate all software issues I have done a fresh install, however still getting the same problem, have had BSOD, crazy graphical patterns / lock ups, display driver stops responding ect ect - all while just browsing the net or installing updates ect. In fact I am surprised I have managed to make this post without an issue.

Any ideas?

Yes I had this, reverted back to the drivers on the disc and so far so good...

Well what a bizarre situation. Card will not work with the Latest Updated drivers on my PC, constant crashes while browsing and will not play any games.

Put the card in my old PC (now the GF`s) with the latest driver and it works fine, wtf?

So as suggested by Booner, I have installed the drivers from the supplied disk and it appears to be working fine, however the fan speed is default at 40%.

Why doesn't it work with the latest drivers on my PC but it works fine on my GFs PC with the same drivers.

I have also noticed a small amount of annoying coil whine, really not impressed with the hassle I have had so far, and if it doesn't work with the latest drivers (which were designed to fix issues, especially the fan speed), it doesn't fill me with confidence for the future. Think I will probably return it under DSR.

Also when running Unigine Valley - the temperature is showing mega high, it varies, but the last time it was showing as 58279 degrees!

Last edited:
Well what a bizarre situation. Card will not work with the Latest Updated drivers on my PC, constant crashes while browsing and will not play any games.

Put the card in my old PC (now the GF`s) with the latest driver and it works fine, wtf?

So as suggested by Booner, I have installed the drivers from the supplied disk and it appears to be working fine, however the fan speed is default at 40%.

Why doesn't it work with the latest drivers on my PC but it works fine on my GFs PC with the same drivers.

I have also noticed a small amount of annoying coil whine, really not impressed with the hassle I have had so far, and if it doesn't work with the latest drivers (which were designed to fix issues, especially the fan speed), it doesn't fill me with confidence for the future. Think I will probably return it under DSR.

Also when running Unigine Valley - the temperature is showing mega high, it varies, but the last time it was showing as 58279 degrees!

Meh, PC started crashing again, when scrolling web pages - R9 290 taken out and put back into the box for return. :(

Apparently they all use a mixture of Hynix/Elpida so its a crapshoot as to what you get, it does seem Sapphire are more likely to give you Elpida though.

Just had another black screen at stock on Battlefield 4, was a good game too!

update bios on MB.
if that dosnt help, rma.

update bios on MB.
if that dosnt help, rma.

Have done that mate, just cant understand how the card seems to work fine on one PC (played BF4 for 10 mins ok and no random crashes whilst browsing) and not the other - absolutely bizarre, I have latest bios, latest drivers, tried with bare minimum connected, tried different PSU (Corsair AX860 and HX850), fresh windows install (with minimum installed) etc.

Does anyone else get strange temperature reading when benching with Valley? This happens on both PCs for me.

Have done that mate, just cant understand how the card seems to work fine on one PC (played BF4 for 10 mins ok and no random crashes whilst browsing) and not the other - absolutely bizarre, I have latest bios, latest drivers, tried with bare minimum connected, tried different PSU (Corsair AX860 and HX850), fresh windows install (with minimum installed) etc.

Does anyone else get strange temperature reading when benching with Valley? This happens on both PCs for me.

Yeah same issues here. Have had no issues gaming though.

if possible try a different pci-e port.
thats one of the issues with the PC market, to many variables from one machine to the next.
but if you tried the above and still wont work, well I would send it in.
that it works in one machine and not the other isnt your fault.

if possible try a different pci-e port.
thats one of the issues with the PC market, to many variables from one machine to the next.
but if you tried the above and still wont work, well I would send it in.
that it works in one machine and not the other isnt your fault.

Tried the next PCI slot down, no difference - still crashes - have sent an RMA to OCUK for further advice.

Good luck with it mate, I would have gone for the gelid icy personally with it been cheaper and slightly better at cooling the vrm's but I'm sure the arctic will do a good job, looking forward to hearing how it goes for you.

tried to use a generic waterblock but seems vrm got to hot so no go.
black screened pretty fast

anyhow I flashed the asus 290 bios to use gpu tweak.
and works well. 1170mhz, ram speed stock.
2uzte8n.jpg

In a last ditch attempt to get my card working I did a complete new install of Windows 8 last night, (I thought perhaps a different OS might make a difference) then installed the Latest drivers for my Sapphire R9 290 and.....................Crash, followed by.............Crash.

Card is now RMA`d and on its way back to OCUK (that's if the numpty at the parcel shop got the parcel scanning right)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom