• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD R9 290 (non x) Thread

Soldato
I think AMD have learned that if you release a card with poor drivers, then that low benchmark score on launch day follows them around like a bad smell.

It doesn't matter how much driver releases improve performance over the following weeks, websites don't re-bench, and it's the old scores that keep coming up in the comparison charts.

Hopefully this at least means the R290 is better than we were expecting thanks to Nvidia's big price cuts forcing AMD to go an extra mile.

Caporegime
I think AMD have learned that if you release a card with poor drivers, then that low benchmark score on launch day follows them around like a bad smell.

It doesn't matter how much driver releases improve performance over the following weeks, websites don't re-bench, and it's the old scores that keep coming up in the comparison charts.

Hopefully this at least means the R290 is better than we were expecting thanks to Nvidia's big price cuts forcing AMD to go an extra mile.

But then they've got a situation where the R290X results are already out, if they make the R290 seem too good, it'll hit R290X sales.

Soldato
But then they've got a situation where the R290X results are already out, if they make the R290 seem too good, it'll hit R290X sales.

And I'm pretty sure they will sell a lot of 290X from the people that want "the best", but AMD always have that 6950/7950 sweet-spot where you get more bang for your buck. R290 addresses a different price segment than R290X, so AMD won't care if they lose one R290X sale if they sell three R290s instead. ie R290 is competing against Nvidia's card in that same price segment, not against R290X in a higher price bracket.

Caporegime
I'm also counting the original week between the 290X release and the first 290 release date, so yes, two weeks difference between the two cards. Not a big deal.

I think you've gotten the wrong end of the stick entirely.
It's less than two weeks from the R290X to the R290 which is quite quick.

The driver is the reason for delay as they're improving the performance of it, but the results of the R290X are already out and about, so if they increase it too much, and they use R290X launch day results, it's possible to have the R290 closer than what it actually is to the R290X.

Say how a stock 7950GHZ edition today would be better than a GHZ 7970 on launch day drivers.

Soldato

When the R9 290 gets benched the R9 290x will get re benched also with the new drivers.

Last edited:
Soldato
Got 2 MSIs coming along with blocks. Will be out thursday so probably won't be able to play much until weekend.

Still, it's happening!! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom