• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD R9 290 (non x) Thread

Great price, if performance is all you care about or you are going under water the 290 is the clear choice.

Stock cooler is twice as loud as 780 in games though from the 2 reviews I have read.

Great price, if performance is all you care about or you are going under water the 290 is the clear choice.

Stock cooler is twice as loud as 780 in games though from the 2 reviews I have read.

Agreed, great bang for buck. Such a poor choice on the cooling. With better reference cooling these GPU's would have curb stomped Nvidia's cards, I guess they wouldn't of been able to price so competitively though, some corners had to be cut.

Like you said though, ideal for peeps that water cool.

Great card and price, but I'm waiting for the non-stock coolers. I don't want to put something this loud into a system that is otherwise very quiet, especially at idle. It's a shame, because with a decent cooler, this purchase would be a no-brainer.

Are these far behind the 290x? Do any brands allow you to remove the cooler without losing warranty?

I think the R290 is averaging something like 6 percent slower than the R290X.

The new drivers boosted the R290 by increasing the fan speed profiles and sacrificing some noise. The new drivers didn't affect the R290X (that already had it's Uber fan profiles), so the gap between the 290 and 290X got closed up.

IIRC, I think MSI cards bought through OCUK keep their warranty if you remove the stock heatsink, as long as you don't damage the card doing so.

I suspect you all already know this but having vsync on keeps the card quiet, it is louder than id like without it but if you use headphones it might not be an issue, i like a cool and quiet pc so am a little disappointed by the noise, luckily i don't need hundreds of fps so 60fps vsync is good enough.

Hello :)

Happy bear here, just received my Saphire :)

However just received a little shock by looking on the box at the system requirements of the card. It states that the card requires a 750watt power supply or greater. I only have an Antec 650 Truepower. Will this be sufficient? I just spent all my budget in this card, a new PSU could only be due around next month :(..

My system is: i52500 @ 4,6, MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3), 8gb ram, 1ssd + 1sata & 5 case fans

Thanks!

Hello :)

Happy bear here, just received my Saphire :)

However just received a little shock by looking on the box at the system requirements of the card. It states that the card requires a 750watt power supply or greater. I only have an Antec 650 Truepower. Will this be sufficient? I just spent all my budget in this card, a new PSU could only be due around next month :(..

My system is: i52500 @ 4,6, MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3), 8gb ram, 1ssd + 1sata & 5 case fans

Thanks!

Our website descriptions clearly say this too!

However Antec PSU are very good, so a 650W should cope fine. :)

Back
Top Bottom