• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

On or off the hype train?

• (off) Train has derailed

Votes: 207 39.2%
  • (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

Votes: 100 18.9%
  • (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

Votes: 221 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
Keeping quiet is just making people think it's a poor performer.
By now im sure it is. Extra 2 months to save few quid for 1080ti or wait for good promo on one.

As i see it by time Vega stock gets in stores will be August or September. And you know what NV will do right ?? Chop prices by 50-100 bucks cause they can after milking everyone since pascal came out.

For vega to be any good must be faster than 1080 and cheaper than 1070 and thats purely due to constant push back's

Nobody boosts NV sales better than AMD.... Fury X all over again :/

Caporegime
Exactly by stringing people along when they know their product isn't better is only going to hurt them even more.

I'm not saying that vega will without a doubt be amazing and better than nvidia's 10xx but how do we exactly know if it is poor or not? There is still literally no info. on vega's performance at all....

If a 2+ year fury x can match a 1070 at the very least and even beat in a fair few games then I just can't see how vega is going to be worse than a 1080. It doesn't make any sense at all....

They're buying them already.

And the logic would indicate that they are currently not performing then :p?

Yup and just how many more people would be buying them if it was "confirmed" that upcoming vega was slower than a 1080 ti/1080? A **** load more would be buying them today.

Saw a post with some one mentioning multiple tears per frame, and I figured I would have a look and see if I could figure out the fps. I found at least one frame with 400 pixels per tear, or 2.7 tears for the full frame (1080/400=2.7) Assuming that it is shown on a 60hz monitor that would mean 162fps (60x2.7) 388fps on 144hz or 81 on 30hz..

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6edd3h/amd_rx_vega_computex_pray_demo_fps/

I don't know how accurate that would be as I have messed around a lot with FPS caps in games, especially BF 4 in particular, without any vsync on my 60HZ, 80 fps cap had very little noticeable screen tearing likewise with 125 fps cap, anything else and screen tearing was very noticeable.

I have also found this to work differently on my other 60 hz monitors.

Not to mention some games can have even worse screen tearing despite the FPS being the same as another game.

Too much randomness to it to go by screen tears.

Last edited:
Caporegime
For vega to be any good must be faster than 1080 and cheaper than 1070 and thats purely due to constant push back's

Why does that have to be the case? Just because it is AMD, they have to price their products significantly cheaper than the "halo" brand?

If vega matches a 1080 and comes in at £400, it will be a success in my eyes, of course if nvidia then drop the 1080 to £400 or cheaper then great, us consumers are the ones that win in the end and who knows, AMD might drop their price even further and so on....

EDIT:

I hope for AMD's sake that they are doing another ryzen i.e. undercutting intel massively for very similar performance but being far more future proofed.

Soldato
When the Frontier edition launches we will get an idea. Especially going by the clocks. A Fury X at 1500-1600mhz is more than a match for the 1080 so a Vega with these clocks should certainly be at least close to a 1080ti. I hate all this guessing tbh but we have good reason to think the clocks will be this high going by the released tflop figures. My guess is it's down to HBM2 alone for the delays. Nvidia never release performance figures right up until release and either do AMD. Nothing has changed. Why release performance figures 2 months before launch when through tweaks your release performance can be worked on and improved. It's frustrating but it's the way things have always been done.

Soldato
The wait is killing me now, it feels like it is taking forever for Vega to hit the shelves and the lack of information is discouraging. I am starting to wish I had just pulled the trigger on the 1080 Ti when it released TBH.
I hope it is good and worth the wait, I mean it has to be good after this much time surely?

Soldato
The wait is killing me now, it feels like it is taking forever for Vega to hit the shelves and the lack of information is discouraging. I am starting to wish I had just pulled the trigger on the 1080 Ti when it released TBH.
I hope it is good and worth the wait, I mean it has to be good after this much time surely?

You would think so but if HBM2 has been the sole purpose for the delays and it should have released much sooner then you could be looking at a design that was supposed to launch some time ago and possibly before the 1080ti. AMD since the middle of last year said H1 this year so it's still very possible that this was always going to be when Vega was to be released. They will hit this target with the Frontier Edition but whether the plan all along was to release the gaming version we might never know.

Caporegime
When the Frontier edition launches we will get an idea. Especially going by the clocks. A Fury X at 1500-1600mhz is more than a match for the 1080 so a Vega with these clocks should certainly be at least close to a 1080ti. I hate all this guessing tbh but we have good reason to think the clocks will be this high going by the released tflop figures. My guess is it's down to HBM2 alone for the delays. Nvidia never release performance figures right up until release and either do AMD. Nothing has changed. Why release performance figures 2 months before launch when through tweaks your release performance can be worked on and improved. It's frustrating but it's the way things have always been done.

Stop using logic!!!!! :p

Soldato
You would think so but if HBM2 has been the sole purpose for the delays and it should have released much sooner then you could be looking at a design that was supposed to launch some time ago and possibly before the 1080ti.
That is very true. That could be trouble for AMD, using very expensive memory which will increase the cost of the card and ending up with a card that is potentially lagging behind the 1080 Ti that will have been around for many months at Vega's eventual launch. I hope that is not the case!

Soldato
Why does that have to be the case? Just because it is AMD, they have to price their products significantly cheaper than the "halo" brand?

If vega matches a 1080 and comes in at £400, it will be a success in my eyes, of course if nvidia then drop the 1080 to £400 or cheaper then great, us consumers are the ones that win in the end and who knows, AMD might drop their price even further and so on....

EDIT:

I hope for AMD's sake that they are doing another ryzen i.e. undercutting intel massively for very similar performance but being far more future proofed.

Raja did say they want to be 'disruptive' to the market so they will have to do something spectacular with the pricing like Ryzen to achieve that or improve performance a lot compared to the competition. Would be funny if the Vega they have been showing is the lower tier 1070/1080 competitor.

Last edited:
Soldato
We will be getting details of Vega in the next 8 weeks, that was my impression. I cant see why not when they are releasing the frontier, its obviously related so cant be a secret then. We have missed anything till now because we were all so wrong in expecting H1 release. I kinda figured them doing the 580 meant it could not be anywhere close and obviously no Raja speaking means no real detail imo

Eh, a Fury X at 4K already gets 43FPS in 4K at Very High settings in Prey.
Can't be slower than that. :/

I'm still of mind that HBM2 and SK Hynix screwed AMD. They publicly stated HBM2 2.0Gbps mass production for Q3 2016, and now they only show 1.6Gbps for Q2 2017.

If only AMD had the money to have designed an HBM2 version for enterprise and GDDR5X for consumer like NVIDIA does.

Nah some dude ages ago posted as much, Vega is about their professional sales. Somehow thats higher on the agenda, not to us and they shot themselves in the foot saying H1 before adding, its not for you to about a million people waiting lol

If they had made it clear and just said Q3 I would have got a 480 at xmas after my 7950 was deemed too old by RMA. I'll just play all the older games I never finished and wait 2 months I guess, nobody has a more ancient backup card then me so nobody is allowed to be more irritated :p

NtFgC9i.png

Tiny mobile chip with Vega and ryzen in there ? :O

Last edited:
Associate
I'm just thinking... what was the last GFX card from AMD that didn't disappoint a large % of us? Not the 480/580, which caused a lot of disappointment. Not the Fury/X which also failed to excite.

So... maybe the 290? The 390 was a re-brand, and I remember the disappointment that caused.

So I think we can honestly say the 290 was the last card from AMD that delivered and met expectations.

Obviously AMD superfans will say the 580 was a resounding success, etc, etc. Those people are free to live in their own little private reality.

I honestly dont understand why the 480 got such a kicking and the 1060 didnt? AMD never said it was going to be a game changer, it was only ever going to be aimed at Mid tier gaming which is the biggest tier IMO and a wise move to make some money for R&D. They have a tiny slither compared to intel and nvidia when it comes to budget and they can still stand toe to toe against the big boys, granted they can be late to the game and their marketing is a little iffy but what they achieve is incredible.

Caporegime
Raja did say they want to be 'disruptive' to the market so they will have to do something spectacular with the pricing like Ryzen to achieve that or improve performance a lot compared to the competition. Would be funny if the Vega they have been showing is the lower tier 1070/1080 competitor.

If you look at what is available to buy AMD GPU wise from overclockers I'd say AMD are being very disruptive to the market :p

Caporegime
Raja did say they want to be 'distruptive' to the market so they will have to do something spectacular with the pricing like Ryzen to achieve that or improve performance a lot compared to the competition. Would be funny if the Vega they have been showing is the 1070/1080 competitor.

Yup I am expecting everything about vega to be just like ryzen, the build up, the leaks, building up stock and having it available to buy straight away, the performance, the pricing etc.

The fact that intel contacted the press/reviewers before they wrote/published their ryzen reviews with:

call us before you write

Says it all, they knew little to nothing before ryzen release day and so were quickly trying to manipulate the reviews and then not long after ryzen reviews came out, intel do a price slash across their CPUs in USA....

AMD's ryzen strategy worked superbly, so if they have a similar product with vega for the gpu market then why can't the same strategy work again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom