• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

On or off the hype train?

• (off) Train has derailed

Votes: 207 39.2%
  • (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

Votes: 100 18.9%
  • (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

Votes: 221 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Yup I am expecting everything about vega to be just like ryzen, the build up, the leaks, building up stock and having it available to buy straight away, the performance, the pricing etc.

The fact that intel contacted the press/reviewers before they wrote/published their ryzen reviews with:

Says it all, they knew little to nothing before ryzen release day and so were quickly trying to manipulate the reviews and then not long after ryzen reviews came out, intel do a price slash across their CPUs in USA....

AMD's ryzen strategy worked superbly, so if they have a similar product with vega for the gpu market then why can't the same strategy work again?

AMD showed us a few benchmarks of ryzen miles before launch comparing it to intels stuff.

Was there actually an Intel price cut as well?I don't recall seeing one.

Ryzen is also far far from perfect.

Caporegime
We will be getting details of Vega in the next 8 weeks, that was my impression. I cant see why not when they are releasing the frontier, its obviously related so cant be a secret then. We have missed anything till now because we were all so wrong in expecting H1 release. I kinda figured them doing the 580 meant it could not be anywhere close and obviously no Raja speaking means no real detail imo

Nah some dude ages ago posted as much, Vega is about their professional sales. Somehow thats higher on the agenda, not to us and they shot themselves in the foot saying H1 before adding, its not for you to about a million people waiting lol

If they had made it clear and just said Q3 I would have got a 480 at xmas after my 7950 was deemed too old by RMA. I'll just play all the older games I never finished and wait 2 months I guess, nobody has a more ancient backup card then me so nobody is allowed to be more irritated :p

:O

The thing is Vega is really not designed for the professional market, it has 1:16 FP64 which rules it out for most HPC markets. The 2:1 Fp16 may find its way in to some deep learning labs but most of them will be eyeing big volta with the dedicated TensorFLow cores. Yes there is a hige price difference but in this area nobody actually cares that much, hence Nvidia can sell such a gigantic chip with terrible yields at astronomical prices.

If AMD were really going after the datacenter HPC market they would have re-introduced the FP64 cores. The reason AMD is now focusing on VEga FE is almost certainly down to a lack of HBM2 availability which means they might as well sell low volume high margin professional cards while they wait for better HBM2 supply.

I expect AMD wont have a compelling HPC GPU until Navi generation. And to really succeed I think they will have to follow Nvidia's lead and differentiate the profesional cards with more ocmpute features vs the gaming cards.

Associate
I really don't know if it's worth the wait anymore, another 2 months is a really long time especially since I have no pc to tide me over in the wait. I've been waiting because I have a freesync ultrawide monitor (3880 x1600). Is freesync worth it? I know a 1080ti is more than enough for my 60-75hz monitor.

Soldato
AMD showed us a few benchmarks of ryzen miles before launch comparing it to intels stuff.

The price cuts are in x299. Paulshardware said that at all their previous events Skylake X only went up to 12 cores, and suddenly they added more compete against Threadripper.

The Prices were also drastically reduced; with the new 8 core 40% cheaper than the Broadwell-E and Haswell-E Counterparts.

Caporegime
I really don't know if it's worth the wait anymore, another 2 months is a really long time especially since I have no pc to tide me over in the wait. I've been waiting because I have a freesync ultrawide monitor (3880 x1600). Is freesync worth it? I know a 1080ti is more than enough for my 60-75hz monitor.

If it's the LG/Acer then imo get a second-hand Fury to tide you over and run games at Medium and it'll be fine :)

(I've run one with my LG and it was fine, I was only greedy for more fps)

Soldato
cant say im too botherd my fury is doing ok but it just feels as if ive had it for so loooooooong

This is true, my ancient, decrepid, bottlenecked (must stop reading Loadsamoney :)) Fury seems to be holding up surprisingly well and strangely getting faster in some games these days. But that’s not the point, I still wanted a new toy and I’m not happy with this BS. Share price is sliding, and this is what CEOs get sacked for.

Caporegime

IIRC, was that not only for 1-2 video encoding type of benchmarks though? Still didn't give us any real indication of performance other than it being good for CPU core intensive related stuff.

In USA there was, if you google intel slashes prices ryzen, you will see results. Also, the price cuts were actually before ryzen got announced, could have sworn they came after.... And also what N19h7m4r3 has said.

Yup it's not perfect but given the cost, it is damn impressive especially since a lot of the issues are sorted now with BIOS etc. updates, rise of the tomb raider recently got patched to further optimize CPUs and on ryzen builds, there is a substantial boost:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6e670r/rise_of_the_tomb_raider_ryzen_patch/

All things considered, given the sheer domination of intel:

SRMm5qP.png

Ryzen is a massive success in my eyes, performance etc. will only improve from here on out especially when microsoft + game developers take into account ryzen now.

Last edited:
Associate
If it's the LG/Acer then imo get a second-hand Fury to tide you over and run games at Medium and it'll be fine :)

(I've run one with my LG and it was fine, I was only greedy for more fps)

Yeah it's the LG I think I might just do that if i can find one. Thanks for that :)

Associate
This is true, my ancient, decrepid, bottlenecked (must stop reading Loadsamoney :)) Fury seems to be holding up surprisingly well and strangely getting faster in some games these days. But that’s not the point, I still wanted a new toy and I’m not happy with this BS. Share price is sliding, and this is what CEOs get sacked for.

These are the same sentiments i have, although i am on a 290x still not a fury. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but had i have known how things would have stagnated for AMD in the last couple of years i would have bought a G-sync monitor instead of the Freesync one I have. Now i fully admit that it was my own tightness which made me choose AMD in the first place but the constant lack of information is deafening on their part.

I have recently upgraded my laptop GPU but alas there were no new GPUs available which would have been significantly better than my old 7970m out from AMD so i have had to go nVidia for that. I even waited hoping that they would put out full polaris as an mxm board to no avail.

This sounds very petulant know but that is the nature of tech enthusiasts. The end of july is not H1, just because they are putting a workstation graphics card out they believe it will placate people. I am not sure if the workstation market is larger than the high end consumer one but seriously come on.

I believe the problem stems from the fact they are trying to revolutionise on two fronts at the same time(CPU and GPU). The problem I foresee is that it AMD spun off the graphics card business now it would be snapped up by intel in a heartbeat leading to less competition rather than more of it as they would have no need to compete on the high end just make their iGPUs good enough.

It all seems a bit duke nukem foreverish. More new features, new process, new leadership, release schedules slipping. Best get Randy Pitchford on the phone and see if he wants to buy a semiconductor manufacturer

Soldato
I'm fortunate in that I'm not upgrading to Q4. Honestly though. If I was wanting to upgrade around now or summer proper. I would more than likely just get a 1080ti. There is nothing here that suggests or feels like it's going to smash the 1080Thai. I'm just not getting that vibe. If that was the case they would have at least alluded to it. Even if there are driver/memory issues. If they were confident that the end product Vega would beat Nvidia. They would have said so. I've never seen anything more played down in my life. They really are subtly saying. "Forget it guys. Ain't happening with Vega"

Caporegime
Another 600 pages before launch :p?

Wondering if I should just stick with my 290 until the end of the year and see if I can pick up a second hand 1080Ti?

Soldato
Overall it's a darn shame we have to wait even longer. Although the Frontier Edition should give some indication of how well RX will perform in games.
So hopefully some reviewers get their hands on it.

That card is right up my alley for a replacement a solid works machine, nearly double the performance of the Titan Xp in it, but without breaking the bank of a Quadro.

Should go well with my old man's new Ryzen 1600 system I built today.

It all depends on price of course; and if FE does well in gaming it should be worth waiting for RX Vega with it's improved drivers, and "extra goodies" Raja mentioned.

Although overall, these delays seem like a mix of driver issues for the new architecture, and HBM2 shortages.
If AMD opted for 4 modules like NVIDIA's Teslas, they also could have used Samsung's slower 1.4Gbps modules. Those have been around for well over a year, and 4 of those would give them 732GB/s.

Seems their reliance and partnership with SK Hynix really shot them in both legs. Hynix promised 1.6Gbps and 2.0Gbps mass production by Q3 2017; then moved 1.6 to Q1 2017, and the latest shows Q2 2017 for mass production. Where as 2.0Gbps is missing entirely.

Hopefully the weight is worth it and the cost of HBM2 doesn't result in consumers getting stung on price.

Associate

Its minor, why should AMD be concerned about traders? Larger and longer-term shareholders will have held stock for longer and will be less concerned about minor corrections given the history and wider context.

This sounds very petulant know but that is the nature of tech enthusiasts. The end of july is not H1, just because they are putting a workstation graphics card out they believe it will placate people. I am not sure if the workstation market is larger than the high end consumer one but seriously come on.
To be fair it's what the tech/gaming community get (bitter disappointment) for reading far too much into the shareholder updates/earnings call. I don't think I am being at all harsh with that.

Soldato
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom