• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

On or off the hype train?

• (off) Train has derailed

Votes: 207 39.2%
  • (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

Votes: 100 18.9%
  • (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

Votes: 221 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
This 'Launch' just doesn't feel right to me, its too quiet, as reviewers would have had their cards long before now, as they'd be on putting the finishing touches to them, so they have them ready to go up on the 'Launch', in a couple or so days time at Siggraph, and we also havn't had the ;) thread yet from Gibbo, his ive got the cards in ready to go when their 'launched' in a couple or so days time at Siggraph.

I just don't think were going to see reviews, or actual cards in stock to buy, for weeks yet, Siggrarph will just be an unveil of the card, so we can actually see what it looks like, and thats it, nothing more, we're going to be no further forward, than we are now.

Associate
What are the FreeSync problems? I haven't had any issues yet in any games and I've had the FreeSync monitor for ages, looking at getting a FreeSync ultra wide monitor now. FreeSync has been pretty amazing for me, I would not go back.

And is the problem with amd or ubisoft/microsoft? I have had a lot of problems with ubisoft and MS!

There seem to be some monitors that have more flickering with freesync; I've not seen it at all with two 144hz screens, seems to be the lower range monitors more often!

Caporegime
I just don't think were going to see reviews, or actual cards in stock to buy, for weeks yet, Siggrarph will just be an unveil of the card, so we can actually see what it looks like, and thats it, nothing more, we're going to be no further forward, than we are now.

Don't forget the bull**** slides, we always get those ;) :p

Associate
This 'Launch' just doesn't feel right to me, its too quiet, as reviewers would have had their cards long before now, as they'd be on putting the finishing touches to them, so they have them ready to go up on the 'Launch', in a couple or so days time at Siggraph, and we also havn't had the ;) thread yet from Gibbo, his ive got the cards in ready to go when their 'launched' in a couple or so days time at Siggraph.

Or all the sites who broke NDAs for Polaris now don't get a shred of info because they can't be trusted?

Associate

It certainly looking that way. It's the 480 all over again :p

Soldato
Sorry guys! I could swear it was the 27th it was coming, I think I am getting the date that Vega FE was launched mixed up with siggraph in my head. Oh well I am off next week anyway so it will hopefully make interesting reading.

Associate
Just seen the VEGA 3DMARK results, seems about even with a 1080 and ahead of a 1070, but the million dollar question is which VEGA is it lol.
Those scores are pretty bad; the gtx 1080 overclocks pretty well, as does the GTX 1070. My GTX 980 Ti scores around 21200 running the same benchmark on my much older 4770K (4.5Ghz). So if the power consumption of the FE cards are anything to go by this wouldn't be a huge upgrade for anyone with a gtx 980 ti or above. :(

Permabanned
If I remember correctly nvidia Ti and XP was also very limited in what was known outside of nvidia. No one expected the little Xp and even the Ti was a surprise.

If amd have managed to keep everything under lock down good for them I say

I'm not sure why you think that, It was obvious they had a full chip Titan because the one we had was not a full chip so it was the same scenario as with Kepler as for the Ti we've had a 780ti & 980 ti both offering less memory and custom cooling so again the 1080ti was a dead cert. The way it seems to be is whenever there's a Titan there will be a Ti and whenever there's a cut down Titan there's a full Titan in reserve in case they need it, This time around they didn't need it but because they had it they used it.

Permabanned
Aww man thats sweet!! Its about time too but i can see there being less monitors about having support for freesync possibly.

The original won't be going anywhere so I imagine we'll see both Freesync 1 & 2 monitor's, There might be a bit more of a premium on the Freesync 2 models though so it'll be up to the buyer which they go for. Personally I'd be fine about paying a bit extra for the better experience and peace of mind.

Hopefully not and i hope tvs start doing this too.
Its only thing that put me off a free sync panel is the poor range.

It'll be great when we can get Freesync 2 telly's.
When Freesync first released more often than not the monitor makers didn't provide working range info on their models, I think it's why it was originally seen as the poorer cousin but those day's are gone and AMD do a web page with all the info on all the Freesync monitors out there.

http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/software-technologies/technologies-gaming/freesync
Scrolling to the bottom and picking monitors gives 4 or more pages of Freesync monitors and all the relevant detail for each one.

What are the FreeSync problems? I haven't had any issues yet in any games and I've had the FreeSync monitor for ages, looking at getting a FreeSync ultra wide monitor now. FreeSync has been pretty amazing for me, I would not go back.

And is the problem with amd or ubisoft/microsoft? I have had a lot of problems with ubisoft and MS!

If you don't wait for Freesync 2 make sure to check what you plan on buying through the link above to make so it has LFC (Low Framerate Compensator) support.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom