• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

On or off the hype train?

• (off) Train has derailed

Votes: 207 39.2%
  • (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

Votes: 100 18.9%
  • (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

Votes: 221 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
AMD have had long enough to pull something special out the bag, they either will or won't now its a black vs. white issue

AMD can not just pull something out of a hat if it is not there.

It can take several years to bring a new family of GPUs to the market. Once a new architecture is in the pipeline it is very difficult to change its design and features.

AMD fell behind a couple of years ago and it could take them another couple of years to close the gap. AMD have only just got Ryzen on the market which gives intel some serious competition but look at how long that took to close the gap.

Soldato
Yeah, these shows are reaching dozens of people whilst nVidia continue to sell their higher-range cards in the thousands and thousands...

i think the difference for me now, is as i pointed out earlier in the thread. the total system cost for an nvidia and intel based system has reached such inflated proportions that AMD has a great story to sell for people who want to spend a big chunk less but still want great performance.

this time AMD has a much better CPU and GPU+Monitor story to sell for 1080p and 1440p gamers than it did in the FX days.

no doubt AMD would have prefered to have launched all this in february but that don't mean their solution is no good.

Caporegime
So the difference between those 2 monitors is $450, which is vast. At least if you buy AMD, you can get the cheaper monitor, which is a real plus.

Yes, but the problem is Greg is that Freesync keeps getting broken with either drivers not being right (Ubisoft games, for months and months) or the OS not playing ball (the recent Creator's update for Win10). Myself? I'd rather have a hardware solution that just works, but that's just me...

Caporegime
Yes, but the problem is Greg is that Freesync keeps getting broken with either drivers not being right (Ubisoft games, for months and months) or the OS not playing ball (the recent Creator's update for Win10). Myself? I'd rather have a hardware solution that just works, but that's just me...
Ohhh, I didn't realise that about FS having problems. I paid a fortune for my PG348Q but I don't regret a penny and still loving it and it just works, so yer, cheap is good but not always the best option.

Caporegime
Ohhh, I didn't realise that about FS having problems. I paid a fortune for my PG348Q but I don't regret a penny and still loving it and it just works, so yer, cheap is good but not always the best option.

You certainly get what you pay for in regards to this technology (and I've had multitude of Gsync and Freesync monitors).

Soldato

Can't say I have had any issues with freesync and I have been using it for over a year now and I am on Win 10 and play Ghost Recon and The Division. I can understand paying a little more for potentially a better experience but the G Sync monitors aren't a little more.

Associate
Can't say I have had any issues with freesync and I have been using it for over a year now and I am on Win 10 and play Ghost Recon and The Division. I can understand paying a little more for potentially a better experience but the G Sync monitors aren't a little more.
This.
Can't say I've had any freesync problems either. (also on Win 10 and put too many hours into the division)

Soldato
yeh freesync has been pretty much ok for me, and the fury pro as done a decent job but i want a bit more grunt and ram for the lg 38 ultrawide, im thinking the worst case scenario will be performance between 1070 and 1080 which i could probably live with if the price is right

Soldato
FreeSync is a lot more mature now than when it started. The only problem I have is that every now and then it'll just not kick in for whatever reason and a reboot fixes it. Could be the monitor, OS, driver, who knows. A lot of people that get FreeSync issues seem to be running AMD's "optional" drivers which are pretty much beta tests so I'm not surprised there's issues.

Soldato
Why are they clutching this whole cheeper monitor/freesync thing. I dont need a new monitor and I'll save more money by not buying one.

Its all about money saved now coming from the same company that gave us 3-4 respins of the 290/290X.

speaking for myself a) i can't do that on a laptop b) when i build rigs for family members price is more important than absolute performance

Soldato
Go Raja Go ( hopefully back to where you came from )

Because graphics chip designers are 10 a penny.............

Raja designed a lot of ATI's older cards one of which was the X850 which spanked Nvidia at the time, Vega was already in the works when he came back the acid test IMO is Navi which will all be on his watch. Still he can only work with what he has, AMD needs developers to drop DX11 and move onto DX12 and Vulakan ASAP if they want any chance of getting back into the game, DX11 is a big anchor around AMD's neck, Nvidia can get around it's limitations as they have the resources to do it but AMD don't.

Associate
https://videocardz.com/71090/amd-radeon-rx-vega-3dmark-fire-strike-performance

AMD Radeon RX Vega 3DMark Fire Strike Performance
Graphics Card
Core Clock Memory Clock 3DMark Fire Strike GPU Score

MSI GTX 1080 TI Gaming X 1924 MHz 1390 MHz

MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 1924 MHz 1263 MHz

AMD Radeon RX Vega #1 1630 MHz 945 MHz

AMD Radeon RX Vega #2 1630 MHz 945 MHz

AMD Radeon RX Vega #3 1536 MHz 945 MHz

COLORFUL GTX 1070 1797 MHz 2002 MHz

V F

V F

Soldato
Because graphics chip designers are 10 a penny.............

Raja designed a lot of ATI's older cards one of which was the X850 which spanked Nvidia at the time, Vega was already in the works when he came back the acid test IMO is Navi which will all be on his watch. Still he can only work with what he has, AMD needs developers to drop DX11 and move onto DX12 and Vulakan ASAP if they want any chance of getting back into the game, DX11 is a big anchor around AMD's neck, Nvidia can get around it's limitations as they have the resources to do it but AMD don't.

Sometimes I cannot get over this as everytime I think of DX11 I think back to 2011 for Crysis 2 and here we are.

Associate

I have not had any of these issues with FS tested win 7 & 10

Caporegime
https://videocardz.com/71090/amd-radeon-rx-vega-3dmark-fire-strike-performance

AMD Radeon RX Vega 3DMark Fire Strike Performance
Graphics Card
Core Clock Memory Clock 3DMark Fire Strike GPU Score

MSI GTX 1080 TI Gaming X 1924 MHz 1390 MHz

MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 1924 MHz 1263 MHz

AMD Radeon RX Vega #1 1630 MHz 945 MHz

AMD Radeon RX Vega #2 1630 MHz 945 MHz

AMD Radeon RX Vega #3 1536 MHz 945 MHz

COLORFUL GTX 1070 1797 MHz 2002 MHz

Well, as expected, very disappointing.

Soldato
Well, as expected, very disappointing.

I expected clock speeds to be higher, a 30Mhz OC is pretty pitiful. I guess that shoots down the rumours that the FE cards were playing it very safe. I'm not saying it won't be possible to OC to 1700Mhz and possibly beyond, but it gives an indication to the limitations of the die if this is the factory level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom