• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

On or off the hype train?

• (off) Train has derailed

Votes: 207 39.2%
  • (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

Votes: 100 18.9%
  • (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

Votes: 221 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If its not that then there will be more egg on face than fox in a hen house.

I predict there will be smoke and mirrors next week in the form of "Vega is only the start, Navi is where we realize the full performance..."

Yeah my thoughts exactly. im not buying into it all. However if the price for the trimmed down version is decent and it competes with the 1070 i may jump. if not then i might end up going back team green which i havent done since the passively cooled XFX 7950gt

I can't see how RTG can get close with the pricing on these GPU's given how expensive HBM et all is to produce. If indeed the top GPU is a little/equal to a 1080 then it will need to 1080 money not nearly 1080ti money, if the performance leaks are true then RTG will have very slim margins on each one sold and that's without any price reductions Nvidia could have up there sleeve (if they even need them).
They know that nV can undercut them. Therefore, the only strategy that makes sense is to launch the RX more expensive than the nV.

Either way they'll get fewer sales than nV, but fewer sales at a higher price is better than starting a price war you're always going to lose.

Perhaps something like AIO Vega at £650, big air Vega at £550, cut-down Vega at £450.

They know whatever they do they can't be cheaper than nV, so they'll probably make a small amount of cards and sell them for as much as possible. Then ride out this gen until they've got something more competitive.

What else can they do? They only way they can have a real price war is to make losses on these cards, which is nuts.

They know that nV can undercut them. Therefore, the only strategy that makes sense is to launch the RX more expensive than the nV.

Either way they'll get fewer sales than nV, but fewer sales at a higher price is better than starting a price war you're always going to lose.

Perhaps something like AIO Vega at £650, big air Vega at £550, cut-down Vega at £450.

They know whatever they do they can't be cheaper than nV, so they'll probably make a small amount of cards and sell them for as much as possible. Then ride out this gen until they've got something more competitive.

What else can they do? They only way they can have a real price war is to make losses on these cards, which is nuts.

This. The 1080 and 1070 probably cost Nvdiai peanuts to produce by now so if vega is only 1080 performance, Nvidia will just bash them about on price.

Especially when they seem to be pushing the whole eco-system price difference at there recent events - at least Vega outside of gaming is doing well, it does seem like its a hang-over of when RTG's direction was away from Discrete Gaming GPU's so its really a workstation card that does gaming. Hopefully Raja can change this with Navi.

Good shout that!

That 1000mhz memory clock on the #2 result skews things a bit.

These are the two Intel systems, which I think are more comparable, showing similar GPU clocks apart from the 30mhz increase on the RX core. Either Vega loves an increase in core clocks, the drivers do actually bring some performance improvements or there is something else in the systems i'm not seeing like thermal throttling.
http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/13196962/fs/13200774#

I did include that one in the comparison, I couldn't even guess why that one's slower than the others especially considering the cpu's offering a 30% performance increase against the cpu in the RX's test, Seeing as the other three are from the same person and none of them are verified it may be due to some sort of cheating like what Kaap was telling me about in the Firestrike thread a couple of day's ago.

Vega 20 is also meant to be coming. Tbh that's the card this should have been. Said to have 6000 shader's.

I hate to think how many watts that would use.

I don't think the power it uses is really going to be an issue to anyone getting one, With an adequate psu and decent water cooling it sound's like it's be a good card, The sad bit is it needed to be here now to line up against Pascal not another 6+ months down the line when Volta's around.

They don't need to! At £650 aka €730 it's only €50 cheaper than an AIB 1080Ti where I am.

That's a very hard sell if AMD's driver team doesn't deliver a performance miracle on launch.
Agreed its no good having better performance 6 months down the line and even then Volta will be around.

So the whole marketing for Vega could go something like this.

If you buy into our tech you will be cheaper for an overall system. With Ryzen, Free sync Monitor and Vega all in one this should in theory work out true for a like for like gaming system v Nvidia/Intel. Makes sense with all these side by side tests and Raja saying you could build a 4k system for $1000. It's about the only way they can push Vega out more expensive. Those who bought Free sync monitors already saved there.

It's not ideal at all but it could help to get a few sales. G-Sync on its own will force people over to Free sync which in turn would make an Amd card the ideal choice. Just the other day my mate wanted a 4k monitor. I showed him the cheapest 2 on here. The difference was over £400 I believe.

Last edited:

If you buy into our tech you will be cheaper for an overall system. With Ryzen, Free sync Monitor and Vega all in one this should in theory work out true for a like for like gaming system v Nvidia/Intel. Makes sense with all these side by side tests and Raja saying you could build a 4k system for $1000. It's about the only way they can push Vega out more expensive. Those who bought Free sync monitors already saved there.

It's not ideal at all but it could help to get a few sales.
Problem is with that is how many people upgrade their PC and monitor at the same time? Maybe if you are purchasing over time or are new to PC gaming even then the majority of people aren't buying Freesync monitors, currently anyway...

It's not ideal at all but it could help to get a few sales. G-Sync on its own will force people over to Free sync which in turn would make an Amd card the ideal choice. Just the other day my mate wanted a 4k monitor. I showed him the cheapest 2 on here. The difference was over £400 I believe.

The problem is that's the same as saying that unless you want to spend $1000, then Vega is not for you. If you only want to spend 400-600, then go to Nvidia. They will be cheaper and faster, and you don't have to buy a load of stuff you don't want. That's not a compelling argument for the majority who only want a graphics card, not a whole system.

Problem is with that is how many people upgrade their PC and monitor at the same time? Maybe if you are purchasing over time or are new to PC gaming even then the majority of people aren't buying Freesync monitors, currently anyway...

99% of statistics are made up on the spot; the g-sync tax should be obvious to anyone who actually researches their purchases.

There will still be a lot of gamers considering a monitor upgrade just for the Sync tech. When buying your card atm you have to think what Monitor and price that's likely to be. If 4k your talking along the lines of double the price for a g-sync option atm.

Do you use FastSync with Gsync Greg? And what about vsync is that now complete gone?
Yer, FastSync with G-Sync and V-Sync is still an option but I can't notice any tearing or stutter over the 100 fps, so always use the global choice of FastSync. You will like it, as I know you are a CS:GO player and having smoothness with high frames without tearing will be sweet in that.

99% of statistics are made up on the spot; the g-sync tax should be obvious to anyone who actually researches their purchases.
Not saying that Freesync isn't any good or that the g-sync tax isn't bad but the vast majority of gamers aren't currently buying Freesync (or G-Sync) monitors, hopefully that will change in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom