• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

On or off the hype train?

• (off) Train has derailed

Votes: 207 39.2%
  • (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

Votes: 100 18.9%
  • (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

Votes: 221 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So the whole marketing for Vega could go something like this.

If you buy into our tech you will be cheaper for an overall system. With Ryzen, Free sync Monitor and Vega all in one this should in theory work out true for a like for like gaming system v Nvidia/Intel. Makes sense with all these side by side tests and Raja saying you could build a 4k system for $1000. It's about the only way they can push Vega out more expensive. Those who bought Free sync monitors already saved there.

It's not ideal at all but it could help to get a few sales. G-Sync on its own will force people over to Free sync which in turn would make an Amd card the ideal choice. Just the other day my mate wanted a 4k monitor. I showed him the cheapest 2 on here. The difference was over £400 I believe.

Not a good idea IMO to include ryzen vs intel as nothing stops that nvidia buyer going that way either as a full build.
Vega has to be worthwhile on its on merits as i'd bet the majority of its buyers dont also want to pick up a monitor at the same time.

How good are monitors sales? I really can't see mass amounts of people buying either g sync or free sync based on the buying habits of everyone I know who's interested in PC gaming.
I mean even I only own a 60hz 2560x1080 21:9

Not a good idea IMO to include ryzen vs intel as nothing stops that nvidia buyer going that way either as a full build.
Vega has to be worthwhile on its on merits as i'd bet the majority of its buyers dont also want to pick up a monitor at the same time.

If all your products are offering great price/performance then i think you should

How good are monitors sales? I really can't see mass amounts of people buying either g sync or free sync based on the buying habits of everyone I know who's interested in PC gaming.
I mean even I only own a 60hz 2560x1080 21:9

People buying monitors might not even know they have picked up a Freesync monitor but it's far more likely compared to G-Sync. Freesync monitors start at £109.99 where as Gsync starts at £379.99. There are also double the amount of Freesync monitors on the market. I think this will only grow as time goes on. Nvidia's brand power will likely negate this but there will be some that are told they have a Freesync monitor and should use AMD because of it. Anyone giving out advice not to wouldn't be giving out the correct advise for me. This however will be more effective at the low mid end where budgets matter more to the people.

It's a pretty basic monitor all things considered
It cost me 389 quid a few years ago. No desire to change it

The funny thing is if you wanted that resolution on G-Sync you are paying £749.99 and on Freesync £269.99. That's the 2 cheapest i could find on here. There is no way in hell i would pay for the Nvidia option due to it having such a low resolution. On the other hand the AMD price seems to be in line or expected. The G-Sync monitor does thrash it on all specs but if this is the cheapest option then it won't be getting many sales.

Disclaimer: I am only looking at ocuk and there may be cheaper options else where.

Last edited:
While it doesn't validate the underwhelming results shown by Vega so far, the Freesync vs G-Sync does have some validity and I totally agree that the prices of G-Sync products are massively inflated.

The kicker to me is that Nvidia could quite easily adopt Freesync at any point but they refuse to, just to milk their much more expensive proprietary standard.

The funny thing is if you wanted that resolution on G-Sync you are paying £749.99 and on Freesync £269.99. That's the 2 cheapest i could find on here. There is no way in hell i would pay for the Nvidia option due to it having such a low resolution. On the other hand the AMD price seems to be in line or expected. The G-Sync monitor does thrash it on all specs but if this is the cheapest option then it won't be getting many sales.

Disclaimer: I am only looking at ocuk and there may be cheaper options else where.

Your not comparing like with like there, not even remotely. The closest Freesync comparison costs £629.

Your not comparing like with like there, not even remotely. The closest Freesync comparison costs £629.

That wasn't my intention. My intention is to show that Freesync has far more options at a much lower price. So even people just looking for cheap gaming monitor and don't know about sync are far more likely to pick up a Freesync screen. In this i would say there are far more freesync monitors out there compared to G-Sync. A lot of these people might ask advice about a graphics upgrade. Someone in the know would advise them to go AMD if they were being honest to make use of the Sync unless the AMD option was really bad.

When people come on here asking about what they should buy the first thing i want to know is there system specs and if there monitor has G-Sync or Freesync. Sync is such a good tech it's usually mad to go against it to the opposite side unless other factors such as work are involved.

Ocuk have 136 monitors on sale and of these 51 are Freesync compared to 28 G-Sync. Freesync covers a much bigger price range so it stands to reason that Freesync would sell more.

Last edited:
The absolute cheapest G-Sync panel on OcUK is £379.99 and is out of stock. Freesync models start at £110 and while admittedly they probably won't be as good, even a comparable one is available for £219.95 or almost half the price.

For the same £379.99 you can get a Freesync Samsung 4k panel.

Esp with the Fastsync technology from both companies now, it's surely extending the life of normal monitors.
G-/FreeSync and Fast/Enhanced Sync solve completely different issues so I don't see how one can influence the need for the other. What Fast/Enhanced Sync does do is make it less crappy playing at high FPS on a 60 Hz monitor, so I suppose it extends the life of those. What G-/FreeSync does do is make it less crappy playing at any FPS below the monitor's refresh rate, negating the need for a super expensive GPU that can play every game at 60/144/240 Hz.

Nice to see that Vega is being compared to the 1080ti and not the 1080 in HardOCP's blind tests, that at least seems promising :)

To me that just says that it has 1080 performance. There would be no point comparing it to a 1080 as they have equal performance. His point will be whether or not Vega is indistinguishable from a 1080ti when using freesync, even though it's frames will be much lower.

With a 970 and a crappy tear happy monitor do you think I should use fast sync rather than adaptive vsync? (Even with adaptive it tears)

Since I bought my 1700 I've had to cap the frames in BF1 to 60 fps as system too fast now for monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom