• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

On or off the hype train?

• (off) Train has derailed

Votes: 207 39.2%
  • (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

Votes: 100 18.9%
  • (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

Votes: 221 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not true and monitor makers have said that extra costs go into designing a G-Sync monitor and the sales are not high so the price has to be to make a profit. This does not need to be done with Freesync hence the savings.

Indeed. A major part of the cost is that g-sync requires monitor manufacturers to add a separate board. They spend a lot of money on R&D and design, it's not as simple as just slapping a board in there, it costs money to figure a solution. In comparison, freesync is readily able to be integrated into existing designs, that's why it doesn't have a premium.

All the talk of NVIDIA'S G-Sync tax

Personally I didn't do too badly out of it as G-Sync makes some drops in framerate palatable that would have been unacceptable before allowing me to skip a generation in GPU upgrades absorbing the cost of G-Sync.

They spend a lot of money on R&D and design, it's not as simple as just slapping a board in there,

Tell that to Asus :( when I opened up my latest failing ROG Swift (since bought the Dell which so far has been trouble free) the G-Sync FPGA is slapped in there pretty haphazardly with a bit of tape with the chassis modified as little as possible to accommodate it :( although not the cause of the problems with those monitors it isn't surprising they have such a poor track record with that approach.

You opened with saying the quote was wrong then proceeded to agree with it lol.

What i said makes sense to me and it also appears Benjii understood as well.

The price is high because they need to be due to the extra costs involved and not because they will sell loads at that price. It is explained better with the quote at the bottom.

All will be clear soon. It's hard to grasp what the hell this strategy is going to be. Either performance is higher than we have seen so far or that pricing is wrong as even Freesync can't save a price higher than the 1080ti top versions.

Tbh I'll win either way, and if AMD smash it then I'll just keep my LG instead of the PG348Q :)

What i said makes sense to me and it also appears Benjii understood as well.
Well yeah, but you did kind of disagree with the post about the monitor manufacturers setting the price of the monitors based on their costs and what people will pay, then go on to explain basically that it's the monitor manufacturers who set the price based on their costs.

Well yeah, but you did kind of disagree with the post about the monitor manufacturers setting the price of the monitors based on their costs and what people will pay, then go on to explain basically that it's the monitor manufacturers who set the price based on their costs.

That wasn't my intention as i do agree they set the prices. Was just saying the main reason they are priced so high is due to the extra costs and not because they are selling so great at there current price points. They need to make profit so have to price them high to do so. There is also the fact that people will pay more for Nvidia so wouldn't surprise me if there is a little bit of brand tax going on.

I don't think AMD are launching with Vega/Freesync 1080ti/GSync blind test results in order to make themselves look bad, they must have something up their sleeve surely...

So, are we thinking the silence from AMD is because they've got a nice surprise for us with performance and/or price and are trying to catch NVidia with their pants down, or is it some odd attempt at corporate suicide?

I don't think AMD are launching with Vega/Freesync 1080ti/GSync blind test results in order to make themselves look bad, they must have something up their sleeve surely...
I don't think its a bad thing, I do think that if they had a properly fast card they would be taking a different tack and showing things off differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom