• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

On or off the hype train?

• (off) Train has derailed

Votes: 207 39.2%
  • (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

Votes: 100 18.9%
  • (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

Votes: 221 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, according to everything that I have read, VA is the worst of the three technologies for motion clarity. I am sure it's improving, but, IPS has improved too. If anything in a quick AB test people would notice an improvement moving from the VA to an IPS panel. And in a game like Doom, it would definitely be worse as there are lot of dark areas.

The 3ms difference is tiny, might not even exist, it could easily be caused by different equipment that each review site has access to. In reality what percentage of the population would be able to notice that small level of input lag anyway?

Not sure where you read that because putting "va vs ips" in to google and the whole first page talks about how VA is well known for being faster than IPS

I saw that too - I know AMD doesn't want to be looked as a bargain brand,but if they want to charge good prices the performance needs to be there though.

Its a bit like the Fury X,if they had sorted the QC issues with the cooler,and priced it £50 under the GTX980TI,it probably would have been looked at a bit more positively at launch.

If supply is constrained they know they will sell every one anyway so they are going to milk it while they can.

Whoop Whoop my Vega arrived!!!!!

throwpillow_small_750x1000_bg_f8f8f8.jpg

mYAfZk

Not sure where you read that because putting "va vs ips" in to google and the whole first page talks about how VA is well known for being faster than IPS

Its a tricky one as VA has very fast transitions at one end of the spectrum but massively slow on the other which in the realworld often means they can look smudgy in fast motion, etc. however in specific panels this has been much reduced like the panel in question and the older Eizo. (Generally this comes with other compromises hence why its not done generally with VA type tech).

If supply is constrained they know they will sell every one anyway so they are going to milk it while they can.

The issue is if the performance is GTX1080 level and its priced at GTX1080TI level,so unless AMD has some magic driver which bumps up performance,its basically a very expensive GTX1080,and a GTX1080 FE is between 20% to 30% faster at qHD and 4K than a GTX1080 FE,and custom cooled versions are even faster.

Sure people will buy it at that performance level,but I am not sure how much it adds to the brand TBH,which is the whole point of flagship products.

Even the Fury X,was relatively better than that,and it still kind of helped in pushing up the price of the midrange a bit too.

On the flip side not much longer to wait I suppose!! :p

As above generally it is - some of these "gaming" VA panels though are a bit different to your run of the mill non-gaming VA monitor - still not ideal IMO but some might find the compromise better than IPS.

One thing which is a bit tricky though is that VA can have quite good responses for certain types of transitions which you typically encounter more often while having quite terrible transitions for some other transitions which pulls the average down but doesn't necessarily represent how people will perceive the difference in motion clarity.

EDIT: This puts it a lot clearer - from the Eizo review:

The point is, on those two monitors, the difference is so slight as to be negligible. And if there was a difference, the very game chosen lends itself more to IPS than VA, because it's fast moving dark areas.

The point is, on those two monitors, the difference is so slight as to be negligible. And if there was a difference, the very game chosen lends itself more to IPS than VA, because it's fast moving dark areas.

I'm not sure I agree on that - the on paper numbers with monitors are often not a great guide to realworld performance and often what seem like fairly small ms difference a not insignificant number of people will have some varying sensitivity to - take the Dell U2913WM for instance - IPS with on paper fairly poor stats (albeit you can reduce the input latency turning some features off in the OSD) sit it side by side with another IPS with like half the response times, etc. and you'll actually find it beats that panel significantly in terms of the perceived performance in actual use.

Be interesting if Hardocp know any more than we do about performance
"Keep in mind this is very much due to FreeSync vs GSync. I think the RX Vega will end up around 1080 in raw framerate numbers. Time will tell"

Why don't Nvidia just call the ti's 90's (so 1090).

I makes far more sense.

Pffft that'd be amateur marketing. Words like 'titanium' work on us (particularly on males). Same reason gillette use words like 'turbo' and 'fusion' and 'power' on razors. We pay more for that than 'mach 3.1' - even though we know there is no titanium in the card and im pretty sure gilette are not using nuclear fusion to make razor blades! :) The power of suggestion.

Pffft that'd be amateur marketing. Words like 'titanium' work on us (particularly on males). Same reason gillette use words like 'turbo' and 'fusion' and 'power' on razors. We pay more for that than 'mach 3.1' - even though we know there is no titanium in the card and im pretty sure gilette are not using nuclear fusion to make razor blades! :) The power of suggestion.

Some of the Wilkinson Sword ones had a titanium coating(apparently). Not sure what it is meant to do though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom