• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

On or off the hype train?

• (off) Train has derailed

Votes: 207 39.2%
  • (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

Votes: 100 18.9%
  • (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

Votes: 221 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If its priced beyond a 1080ti that will just encourage NVIDIA to overprice their Volta lineup even more than before. Fat loṭ of good AMD turned out to be

Was hoping we would see performance improvements for the vega-based products, but alas this is what anandtech had to say on the matter: "For the time being, RGP does not have official support for Vega-based products, and thus features unique to Vega. AMD stated that 17.7.2 itself does not support any Vega-based products, and so a new rendition of Radeon Software will need to arrive when RX Vega enters AMD’s product mix.". Guess AMD will release the official drivers on sunday (doesn't sound like anandtech even have a review sample as they are guessing whether AMD are going to release new drivers).

The FuryX didn't receive massive acclaim yet it's sat in my system for the last two+ years and has served me well, I'm not looking for raw performance figures to be honest. As long as the Vega offers a decent upgrade then I'm in.

Main reason I didn't go to the Nvidia is I have an Acer XR341CK (Freesync)

The FuryX didn't receive massive acclaim yet it's sat in my system for the last two+ years and has served me well, I'm not looking for raw performance figures to be honest. As long as the Vega offers a decent upgrade then I'm in.

Also the reason I am considering the Vega, it will be an upgrade for my 290x and keeps freesync support. If Nvidia supported freesync granted they would wipe out a lot of there gsync sales (apart from people who believe it is better) but would also kill off AMD and be able to change even more for their cards!

Even if the £800+ price rumours are true?

Interested in FastSync or whatever the AMD version is.

I run a Dell U3014 60hz 2560x1600 which I love for the saturated colour and use for colour-sensitive work so I'm not going to replace it. Some way to get smoother frames is a winner.

If its 800 its because they have no stock to sell to the masses anyway. Wouldnt make much sense for a 1080 card or a card perceived as at best interchangeable with a 1080 and its msrp to retail that high.

It might be a bad price for a few reasons, hopefully not forever if they got the actual tech correct. Saw this from the FT, seems relevant on value and pace of advancement in each generation

jUYmY4Q.png

https://www.youtube.com/user/amd/videos

Last edited:
I'm torn on this one, I still have a 295x2 and an ultrawide freesync monitor. When the crossfire works it's still a glorious card but increasingly I'm playing games where crossfire just isn't working, tempted to get Vega if it offers the 1080 performance at a reasonable price.

I think my 980Ti may last me another 2yrs and if these daft prices don't come down it may be my last graphics card purchase. Buying games now that are 2yrs old and they play great. Anyhow will be 60yrs young soon and splashing £500-£800 on a graphics card just doesn't sound right. Holidays are more appealing now, where's my slippers. Lol

I think my 980Ti may last me another 2yrs and if these daft prices don't come down it may be my last graphics card purchase. Buying games now that are 2yrs old and they play great. Anyhow will be 60yrs young soon and splashing £500-£800 on a graphics card just doesn't sound right. Holidays are more appealing now, where's my slippers. Lol

Tbh, the 980Ti is still a damn good card. Will last a fair while yet :)

Only reason to upgrade right now would be for one of those high res high freq displays coming out later this year (limited by outputs rather than performance). ;) Gtx 1080 ti already as low as 640€ (going to be under 600€ pretty soon).

Agreed Roly, I have no intention of spending big on cards again. Think my max going forward will be £400, and for that i want better than twice the performance of my 980ti, so may be waiting awhile. It helps that i have gotten back into the Borderlands games, so performance is fine. :)

Isn't looking promising and i've been hanging on for what seems like ages to upgrade my GPU.

Anyone gone from AMD to Nvidia but kept their Freesync monitor, realise I wont have any adaptive sync, but not sure what difference the 144hz refresh makes and what comes via Freesync to keep it smooth. ( Currently on Fury Pro with Benq something or other 27 inch 144hz 1440p Freesync )

Isn't looking promising and i've been hanging on for what seems like ages to upgrade my GPU, anyone gone from AMD to Nvidia but kept their Freesync monitor, realise I wont have any adaptive sync, but not sure what difference the 144hz refresh makes and what comes via Freesync to keep it smooth. ( Currently on Fury Pro with Benq something or other 27 inch 144hz 1440p Freesync )

I would probably say it's not a good idea to lose Freesync unless Vega is really slow. On the blind test between the 1080ti (with G-Sync) and RX Vega (with Freesync) the experience was much the same on both machine. If you lose Freesync i would say with a 1080ti on your monitor you would be downgrading your experience. That's assuming you want to pay for a 1080ti. Anything lower like a gtx1080 and i would comfortably say you would be getting a lesser experience due to missing out on having Freesync available.

If i was you i would wait to see what the pricing and performance is before making any decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom