• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

On or off the hype train?

• (off) Train has derailed

Votes: 207 39.2%
  • (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

Votes: 100 18.9%
  • (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

Votes: 221 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would probably say it's not a good idea to lose Freesync unless Vega is really slow. On the blind test between the 1080ti (with G-Sync) and RX Vega (with Freesync) the experience was much the same on both machine. If you lose Freesync i would say with a 1080ti on your monitor you would be downgrading your experience. That's assuming you want to pay for a 1080ti. Anything lower like a gtx1080 and i would comfortably say you would be getting a lesser experience due to missing out on having Freesync available.
No it wasn't. In the independent blind test, more users said the Vega experience was better than 1080 ti. That's why it's so interesting, it goes against the marketing and conventional wisdom.

No it wasn't. In the independent blind test, more users said the Vega experience was better than 1080 ti. That's why it's so interesting, it goes against the marketing and conventional wisdom.
ehh, the whole think was just completely for fun. there is zero conclusion you can draw from that test with that number of samples.

Meanwhile in the city of Rapture
https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2017/07/22/tesla-v100-cvpr-nvail/

I know i am hijacking this thread... but what are the chances of consumer volta launching in september?

Quoted from that article:

"Volta, our seventh-generation GPU architecture, provides a 5x improvement in peak teraflops over its predecessor Pascal, and 15x over the Maxwell architecture, launched just two years ago. This performance surpasses by 4x the improvements that Moore’s law would have predicted."

That's pretty nuts TBF. Doesn't bode well for AMD.

Quoted from that article:

"Volta, our seventh-generation GPU architecture, provides a 5x improvement in peak teraflops over its predecessor Pascal, and 15x over the Maxwell architecture, launched just two years ago. This performance surpasses by 4x the improvements that Moore’s law would have predicted."

That's pretty nuts TBF. Doesn't bode well for AMD.
Classic marketing gibberish

Its a sad day when the enthusiast segment of the pc gaming community starts getting sucked in by the whole 'blind test' bench marking methodology, i mean who needs gaming benchmarks and extensive testing when a blind test will do ? What a load of ******* ******.
I would have vehemently agreed until recently. Average fps does not capture stutter.

I was very disappointed with my new system (in sig) as it scored virtually identical fps as my old i7-2600 with the same fury card in benchmarks. Until I actually played the games e.g. Hitman, same fps, but the difference is night and day. It's unplayable stuttering v a joy to play (with virtually the same fps). It must be CPU and dx12 related as well as the gpu but try a new game on an old CPU to see the difference, it is extremely noticeable.

For a robot maybe its stats-only, but for a human the experience is massive. You know when gamers use terms like buttery smooth and silky smooth? That is not just fps.

I know i am hijacking this thread... but what are the chances of consumer volta launching in september?

Slim to none. They will give the 1080ti more than 5 months at the top. 780ti had ~10 months and the 980ti had ~11 months before XX70/XX80 for the next gen came out.

That trend would put Volta XX70/XX80 in Q1 2018 which I think is a safe bet. I fully expect the GV104 chips to be out by March next year.

...snip... What I will say though is that given a few months and a few driver updates, the 1080Ti wont be as far out in front as it is now.
:D
Yes I didn't think Vega would beat 1080 ti but was hoping for somewhere between 1080 and ti. Good point about the driver updates, the fury improvements over the last year have been pretty impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom