• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

On or off the hype train?

• (off) Train has derailed

Votes: 207 39.2%
  • (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

Votes: 100 18.9%
  • (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

Votes: 221 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
And if some aspects of the Vega FE are not running correctly there is zero evidence that RX vega will be any different.

Well the idea there is that FE was rushed out the door to meet the 1H 2017 target for investors, and the drivers aren't fully finished.

But they will be fully finished and launched alongside the RX cards.

It is feasible that the RX vega 64 could be priced really high
If they can't gimp the arch on the compute side of things, it would be just as fast as the FE, so they would have to price it at FE minus the price that 8gb of HMB2 is psychologically worth
If they priced it at the same price as the 1080 they wouldn't sell any FE cards (with them not having certified drivers nor ECC VRAM), pros would just buy 2 RX gpus at the same price as an FE (coz I would imagine that in a lot of pro workloads the VRAM adds up) meaning less profit for AMD. That could explain why they had to readjust the FE launch price as well (from 1200 to 1000).
But with vega 56 they can price it more or less as they want (1080 price) as there isn't a 56 in the FE segment.

Well the idea there is that FE was rushed out the door to meet the 1H 2017 target for investors, and the drivers aren't fully finished.

But they will be fully finished and launched alongside the RX cards.
And will give the 3% performance difference as quoted by AIB.

The drivers have been under development for over 18 months, so the 1 month form FE to RX launch can't be expected to do anything beyond the typical few percent you see.

If AMD were really only 1 month away form unlocking massive performance increases then they would have simply done a paper launch with the FE cards. That would have satisfied investors and not lead to a PR disaster.

It is feasible that the RX vega 64 could be priced really high
If they can't gimp the arch on the compute side of things, it would be just as fast as the FE, so they would have to price it at FE minus the price that 8gb of HMB2 is psychologically worth
If they priced it at the same price as the 1080 they wouldn't sell any FE cards (with them not having certified drivers nor ECC VRAM), pros would just buy 2 RX gpus (coz I would imagine that in a lot of pro workloads the VRAM adds up). That could explain why they had to readjust the FE launch price as well (from 1200 to 1000).
But with vega 56 they can price it more or less as they want (1080 price) as there isn't a 56 in the FE segment.

The FE is already gimped for compute.

This is probably a record, 2 days till launch and we don't have single reliable leak about the performance. Trump should hire few Amd employees can help him a lot

That is strange i get the absolute opposite ...Win 10 DX 12 runs like crap ..Win 7 Dx11 runs butter smooth .. with 1080 & Online

Well i would not be surprised if something is up with win 10.. i mean just look at the havoc the creators update has done to driver support. I might want to try win 7 again.

As an Nvidia user for the last 6 years this is how the drivers from both camps have been presented too me.

Nvidia always seem to have features before AMD do. For example Fastsync and Shadowplay.

Nvidia drivers (this is probably just my biased green perspective) just seem more polished. Higher quality code. (Again impossible to quantify most likely not true)

But what AMD have that Nvidia don't, is ever 6-9 months you get a big breakthrough drivers. Loads of new features, big performance improvements etc....

We hardly ever get anything like that in team green.

Is that just because Nvidia have less optimisation to do as they are already very optimised?

I not used an Nvidia GPU for awhile in my own personal rig. But I was messing around with the drivers other week at a friends house, I not sure if you used the New AMD driver software yet. They just isn't any competition am sorry that might sound like I just sticking up for AMD for the sake of it but I not.
The driver software loads faster, better looking, easier to navigate, and just looks more modern.

Nvidia drivers
Longer loading even on SSD, Look dated, confusing navigate "might be because I not used to them" Less responsive

I haven't used the AMD driver software for years.

I've been back on Nvidia for a month or two but, before that I had a 290x and then a Fury pro. Over the last 18 month's or more AMD's driver team had been doing an excellent job optimising for my Fury Tri-x, There was very few issues and I'm looking forward to moving back to AMD and what I've become comfortable with. The supports been top notch for quite a while.

Last edited:
Well Siggraph is the day I decide on what I get.

AMD or NVIDIA.

Already got my Vega replacement kit ready to order. :p
ZOm2V6LhSnGdrxFDoNy60g.png

FE is a placeholder Vega ;)
wAYRI6SrSeas8bgyPYnQgg.png

I'm changing jobs so don't need a Threadripper or Skylake X anymore for production work, so decided shove that into a fancier monitor for gaming and other projects.

I'd look for a Freesync monitor with LFC support if I was you.

And will give the 3% performance difference as quoted by AIB.

The drivers have been under development for over 18 months, so the 1 month form FE to RX launch can't be expected to do anything beyond the typical few percent you see.

If AMD were really only 1 month away form unlocking massive performance increases then they would have simply done a paper launch with the FE cards. That would have satisfied investors and not lead to a PR disaster.

English isn't your first language, so I don't think you understood the article properly. It's not saying the final version of drivers for the RX Vega will bring 3% more performance, it's saying that the 17.7.2 drivers will only bring 3% performance increase to FE Vega.

And this was expected because didn't AMD say before this release that no performance improvements were coming for Vega with the 17.7.2 drivers.

Edit: in fact the whole article is about the 17.7.2 driver. The driver is a release of new features and improvements not a performance driver. The driver has nothing to do with Vega at all.

Last edited:
No such thing at large Ultrawide since there are no reputable 75Hz + ones. Unless I buy a Korean funky one off the bay.

At 38" no but there is at 34", If it was me I'd try and hang on for the Freesync2 models which all have LFC along with HDR but I'm not sure how far away they are, LFC's definetly the most important Freesync feature, especially on high res models where you may often see frame dips..

This will help you check which monitor models have LFC and which don't, scroll to the bottom and choose the monitors option then there's 4 pages of Freesync model's to peruse stat's on.

http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/software-technologies/technologies-gaming/freesync

Last edited:
At 38" no but there is at 34", If it was me I'd try and hang on for the Freesync2 models which all have LFC along with HDR but I'm not sure how far away they are, LFC's definetly the most important Freesync feature, especially on high res models where you may often see frame dips..

This will help you find which have LFC, scroll to the bottom and choose the monitors option then there's 4 pages of Freesync model's to peruse stat's on.

http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/software-technologies/technologies-gaming/freesync

Also as mentioned, it all depends on what AMD delivers this weekend. I already have a 1440p 144hz Freesync, but if the GPU disappoints I'm moving to green in total again.

Can't be ***** sitting on a sub par monitor and GPU; and honestly I've waited long enough. Since Polaris rumors. :|

Also as mentioned, it all depends on what AMD delivers this weekend. I already have a 1440p 144hz Freesync, but if the GPU disappoints I'm moving to green in total again.

Can't be ***** sitting on a sub par monitor and GPU; and honestly I've waited long enough. Since Polaris rumors. :|
Yeah I feel totally bummed not buying a G-Sync monitor, I know the premium is £100-£200 but it would be worth it considering I know how Freesync is like when I had my old R9 290.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom