1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by TNA, May 30, 2017.

Tags:
?

On or off the hype train?

1. (off) Train has derailed

207 vote(s)
    39.2%
  2. (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

100 vote(s)
    18.9%
  3. (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

221 vote(s)
    41.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. N19h7m4r3

Sgarrista

All gone bonkers! If I lived close to the northern border I can do what others do. Go to Belfast buy cheap and go home :/

2. CAT-THE-FIFTH

Capodecina

Its even worse since I got a deal so the camera cost £340. Now I just checked the latest prices on camerapricebuster and the cheapest for the replacement model is £890!!

3. AMDPower

Wise Guy

its a shame really, as a AMD fan I am seriously disappointed. Many of us kept telling AMD what they needed to achieve to make this acceptable to us gamers and it would seem AMD dont understand how much of a fail this card will be. They really needed the XT version to be 10% faster than 1080 and XTX 20% faster then 1080, they could of justified the prices they are charging. Nobody in their right mind would pay these prices specially given the hideous power draw unless they are stuck with freesync monitor.

I really hope they have some magic drivers up their sleeve somewhere but that's not happening. They should of not released this card and worked on getting Navi done faster.

4. chaosophy

Wise Guy

Yeah, they would. A few at least.

The way some are going on these are bad to awful cards and not worth bothering with, when in reality they are just a bit overpriced but still offer better performance than the majority of cards available - all available AMD cards - and more than most PC gamers are running. Time frame and cost aside 1080 performance is not now all of a sudden redundant. We haven't suddenly had an influx of games that demand 1080ti performance as a minimum.

As a freesync owner with a Fury (another card that gets slated but has actually been fine for me at 1440p) apart from price that I mentioned, Vega is a decent option.

Yes they could and should be better when compared to nVidia and time to market but they're not and that doesn't make them as bad as some are making out.

I just find the vitriol, hyperbole and 'me too' bandwagon jumping that goes on on here odd sometimes. It's like people think their opinions will only be regarded if they go for the extreme ends of the argument all the time. :/

5. nomadd

Hitman

Poor ATI.

What happened to you? :(

6. alexp999

Gangster

Really disappointed, I was looking forward to switch away from NVIDIA and back to AMD for the GPU to go with my nice new Ryzen 1800X.

I'm not waiting any longer, I've got PC games I've been putting off playing and with Destiny 2 coming in September, I want a 4K capable GPU now, so have reluctantly ordered a 1080 Ti.

Let's hope the success of Ryzen gives the AMD the necessary cash boost to make their next "high-end" card (whenever that will be) a success.

7. N19h7m4r3

Sgarrista

Yeah, kinda glad I'm out of video work and changing jobs. Would have needed to build a whole new workstation, or pay a fortune to dell.

Hobbies and jobs are expensive; especially if you live in areas that usually rip off consumers :(

8. Sayso

Mobster

Looks like i will be buying the 1070 equivelent next round...will be over 500 quid at this rate

9. Molesy79

Gangster

Maybe Vega 20 will be the real deal - I noticed Raja hadn't shaved his beard off yet...

10. Phixsator

Mobster

No im not trying to anything of the sort, i just find some of you people's comments silly and a clear indication that your focus is completely wrong. The reviews is not even out, proper testing is not even done and you apparently have no issue judging it like it was. I bought myself a 1080ti because i gathered that Vega wouldnt offer me the performance i was looking for so please ... keep your boxing of people to yourself, its not that dry cut.

11. CAT-THE-FIFTH

Capodecina

[​IMG]

I saw that on TH.

Also from the AT article on the launch:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/11680...-vega-64-399-rx-vega-56-launching-in-august/3

So nearly 4 billion transistors were used to make the design clock better.

12. D.P.

Caporegime

Nvidia are actually very supportive of AMD doing well in CPUs. Nvidia biggest enemy now is Intel, not AMD. AMD fighting Intel on the CPU front is good news for Nvidia. Since Intel refuse to licennce X86 IP to Nvidia, they simply can't compete in desktop CPUs so nvidia next best option is to have AMD fight intel on CPUs and Nvidia to dominate in GPUs.

13. JediFragger

Capodecina

:p

14. Molesy79

Gangster

Indeed, I believe they even started to recommend them for gaming PC's now.

15. CAT-THE-FIFTH

Capodecina

[​IMG]

Oh noes!!

16. JediFragger

Capodecina

Let's wait til the proper launch with stock/benchies tbh. They're probably whipping their poor driver guy to death making him work 24/7 on them . Poor ******* :D

17. Random Guy Esq.

Wise Guy

Okay, have only managed a quick scan of last night and this morning's posts... So is this where we are now more or less?

1080 performance, but only according to AMD's own slides (no independent reviews yet) which actually show the range of minimum FPS for a number of titles together, rather than raw FPS per individual game. This is supposed to show that Vega will provide a smooth experience as this range falls in the frequency range of Freesync monitors.

This performance was allegedly from the water-cooled card, and compared to a stock 1080, but at a significantly higher TDP.

There are going to be a number of hardware bundles to entice customers, but the availability and actual discounts applied to said bundles are about as clear as mud.

18. Scougar

Capodecina

I should never have sold my GTX 1070. What a stupid decision I made.

19. CAT-THE-FIFTH

Capodecina

Did you see that slide - it has better support for mining. The Vega 56 looks to have a significantly lower TDP than the 64 and is not massively slower in pure FLOPs either. You know what is going to happen if it is good at mining.

20. CAT-THE-FIFTH

Capodecina

Did you sell it during the mining craze?? GTX1070 cards can go for decent money more recently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.