• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

On or off the hype train?

• (off) Train has derailed

Votes: 207 39.2%
  • (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

Votes: 100 18.9%
  • (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

Votes: 221 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Well it was nearer $1.50 and it is now just over $1.30,so was around 15% stronger.
So that could easily add £150 to a £1000 monitor.

...but these post Brexit price increases came in when the pound was below $1.20 in the Autumn of 2016, now it's gone up by 10% to the $1.30 level, where's the corresponding reduction in prices?..nowhere.

As for Vega, the prices are $100 too high, end of story.

What is the incentive for someone like me looking to upgrade from a 970 to spend £450-£500 on one of these.

I'll be damned if I can think of one, oh yes I can, a £299-£399 price range.

Price is all Vega had going for it, being so late to market, and AMD have blown it.

Associate
Prices aren't great and was hoping to get a WC'd card but not too interested in paying extra for the bundle as probably wouldn't use it, hoping that's a limited run and runs out soon and then the WC cards drop price afterwards. Annoyed that there is another two week delay until benches and cards and then maybe another 2 to 4 weeks after that for 3rd party cards but still interested to see independent reviews of it at 2560x1440p against a Fury, as it still looks to be a decent upgrade path for me. Think availability and keeping (getting) the prices down at reasonable levels will be a big thing.

Do find it odd that 1080 performance is now not high end enough to consider gaming on despite the majority of PC gamers playing fine on cards with a lot less performance. :/

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
OP
...but these post Brexit price increases came in when the pound was below $1.20 in the Autumn of 2016, now it's gone up by 10% to the $1.30 level, where's the corresponding reduction in prices?..nowhere.
That is unfortunately how it seems to work. That is why I find it hard to be loyal to any company. They are never loyal to us.

Soldato

Unless the stock is bought during the lower end period?? It will be easier to find that by looking at the production dates of the monitors bought recently. Plus if people still buy the monitors at the higher prices,they will stick.

If you want to see the biggest ripoff,its HDDs. Prices rose due to the flooding of the factories years ago,except they never really dropped that much for the last few years,despite the said factories being fixed and the warranties went down too.

Its also progressive worse if you are into photography.

The Japanese companies have had to increase Yen prices,and with the reduction in the value of the pound some of the newer releases are seeing massive price increases,due to a double whammy of increases.

Caporegime
The AMD slides are mostly showing the RX Liquid in the benchmarks against a 1080FE and not obviously faster custom 1080s.
What is really insulting here is AMD is using the results of the Liquid cooled RX and shows it no faster than a 100, e.g. the same as the FE result so no surprise there. However, the liquid cooled GPUs are only available as part of a bundle at $700, the same RRP as the 1080TI, and these bundles only seem to be in the US. So EU customers coudln't even buy that performance level

Caporegime
I'll be looking at the Vega 56 + freesync monitor to upgrade from a 980.

Hoping its £350~ and just under 1080 performance in dx 11 and beating it in dx12/vulkan.

I can see these leaving Pascal in the dust in the long term with driver finewine + proper dx12 support.
Vega 56 looks to be 1070 performance

Soldato
Do find it odd that 1080 performance is now not high end enough to consider gaming on despite the majority of PC gamers playing fine on cards with a lot less performance. :/

No one would be bothered, if these cards were launching 12mths ago.

..and 12mths ago they could have got away with charging $400 & $500, but not in late 2017.

Soldato
But this will only appeal to a minority of people.

I've recently made the 1700 switch, I imagine many already have.

I don't think (hope) that owning a Ryzen means we are locked in to the AMD ecosystem. Vega is different as you need a Freesync panel, but a Ryzen your still free to choose.

This is why I think I am going to go a get a 1080. If I'm gonna be locked in, I'd rather be locked in to Nvidia.

The fact Nvidia are putting Ryzens in thier battle boxes I doubt there are any concerns with CCX's they think are too great or can't be fixed.

Soldato
Its a bit worrying if the top water cooled RX Vega 64 SKU can't beat a GTX1080FE convincingly. I have a GTX1080FE and whilst the cooler is very good for a reference blower cooler,the aftermarket ones tend to be boost better out of the box,and are cheaper.

Soldato
Unless AIBs work some major magic I'm skipping this gen. My Fury seems quite happy doing what I want it to at 1440p. Shame though I was hoping for higher frames but the cost isn't worth the difference.

Might finally bite the bullet and get a ps4 for the exclusives I've missed out on

Caporegime
I don't think (hope) that owning a Ryzen means we are locked in to the AMD ecosystem. Vega is different as you need a Freesync panel, but a Ryzen your still free to choose.

This is why I think I am going to go a get a 1080. If I'm gonna be locked in, I'd rather be locked in to Nvidia.

The fact Nvidia are putting Ryzens in thier battle boxes I doubt there are any concerns with CCX's they think are too great or can't be fixed.

I mean the bundle does nothing to help those already on Ryzen.

Caporegime
It would be very easy for NVIDIA to to drive a nail into Vega’s coffin this late into Pascal’s lifecycle by dropping prices which will kill the lineup but I think even NVIDIA feels sorry for AMD here :p
NV could, but I doubt they will loose many sales to AMD given Vega's price-performance-power-availability issues. nvidia are probably quite happy for AMD to exist in a completely dysfunctional fashion rather than end up in a monopoly.

Nvidia will drop prices if sales drop or supply chain is still heavy come to Volta launch.

Soldato
Only at OcUK it seems, as I paid 210 less elsewhere :/
Shame really, support is awesome, but not at that amount.

Well at least its good you are not into photography,as many of the new releases have been hit by a double whammy of yen price increases and the pound being weaker.

For instance I got a mirrorless camera for more general usage,and instead of £500 to £550 for my model,its £800 to £900 for the new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom