The anime thread sequel (it's still not as good as the Manga though),

Associate
I really need to learn some Japanese properly ... I was going to do a short course as a taster (and to see if I could cope with it as it's been 20 years since the last time I did a formal language course) but that was cancelled due to lack of people signing up for it :(. I need to talk to the language school and ask if they are going to run the main evening classes in January and see if I can get onto them.

If Werewolf is reading maybe he can edit the first post and add some u's.

That sucks :(

You should give it a go. I started my evening classes a few weeks ago, just one night a week for two hours.

It's good fun though, and at least gets you speaking with others. I find you can learn allot of the vocabulary, writing and grammar by yourself, but you really need to put it into practice with other people so that it starts feeling natural.

As for Hanasaku Iroha, hmmm, i'd takes bets on it being a set of OVA's.

Soldato
Yes, Planetes is a very good drama series.

Funnily enough I was looking to see if this was out on bluray. It would appear so but very expensive and it wasn't clear if it had english.

I was also looking at the complete Evangelion series. I've got the more recent You Are (Not) Alone and I know the 2nd is available but wasn't sure if 3 and 4 were out or even going to come out.

Really like Mech and SciFi anmie. Not so much fantasy type stuff.

Finally, is Appleseed any good? I was looking for anime with english on Bluray.

Soldato
I'm pretty sure the 3rd and 4th Evangelion films are due for release over here, its just a case of the films being released every year or so in Japan and then they aren't released over here straight away.

Appleseed isn't too bad, I've seen Ex Machina, can't remember if I've seen the first. As you like sci-fi I'm guessing you've checked out Ghost in the Shell, the films are available cheap in blu and Solid State might be available but not sure about on UK blu.

Soldato
I've got the Ghost movies but don't think they are bluray. Been meaning to get the series for a while now.

I remember Planetes being really nicely drawn when it was on TV ages ago and it would look stunning in HD.

I used to have a movie on tape which was about a special enforement group watching over ghost/mutant types in our world. One of the female enforcers had this thin red wire that cut through anything. Theres some summit going on between the two sides and the enforcers looking after some really old dude who is just mostly rude and randy. Some of the ghost/mutant types are trying to stop it and cause a war. In one scene a female is getting it on with some dude and her arms and legs grow really long and then teeth appear where they really shouldn't. Don't remember what it was called though.

Associate
I was also looking at the complete Evangelion series. I've got the more recent You Are (Not) Alone and I know the 2nd is available but wasn't sure if 3 and 4 were out or even going to come out.

If you haven't already seen it then check out RahXephon. It's like Eva only without the annoying characters and with a better story, in my opinion.

Edit: Actually I probably shouldn't have commented on the story being better as I never actually finished Eva and have no desire to do so.

Last edited:
Soldato
That sucks :(

You should give it a go. I started my evening classes a few weeks ago, just one night a week for two hours.

It's good fun though, and at least gets you speaking with others. I find you can learn allot of the vocabulary, writing and grammar by yourself, but you really need to put it into practice with other people so that it starts feeling natural.

As for Hanasaku Iroha, hmmm, i'd takes bets on it being a set of OVA's.

They are giving me a couple of 1-to-1 lessons for the cost of what I was going to do so I'm going to use those to see if I get on with the teacher and the location. If it goes ok then I'll ask her about whether she thinks the January course will run and if so I'll look at signing up for it.

I would expect OVAs for Hanasaku Iroha too.

Funnily enough I was looking to see if this was out on bluray. It would appear so but very expensive and it wasn't clear if it had english.

I don't think that the Japanese BD release of Planetes has any English from what I've read.

The next Rebuild of Evangelion film isn't due to be released (theatrically) in Japan until late next year so it will be quite a while before we see it.

Appleseed is ok but not really to my taste personally. Ghost in the Shell Solid State Society is available on BD but only in the US so far IIRC.

Soldato
If you haven't already seen it then check out RahXephon. It's like Eva only without the annoying characters and with a better story, in my opinion.

I've got mixed feelings on RahXephon, I mostly remember it for that one scene nearer the end of the series with the friend :(

@edd

I don't think it's available on Blu, but Texhnolyze on DVD might be worth checking out. Quite a dark series. I suppose Elfen Lied would fall under this heading too (contains talk of genetic manipulation, human mechanisation etc); and I definately recommend it as a series, but not sure if its the sort of thing you're after.
I also wasn't a major fan of Eureka 7 but this has heavy SciFi elements; as do all the Gundams/Macross titles (obviously), some of which Im sure are available in HD even if not in the UK.

Edit:
Well was just looking at my MyAnimeList to work out what other SciFi I'd seen, and realised I'd forgotten to add Bakemonogatari onto my list somehow.
I'm sure there are other holes, but god knows how I missed that one!

Last edited:
Associate
I really need to learn some Japanese properly ... I was going to do a short course as a taster (and to see if I could cope with it as it's been 20 years since the last time I did a formal language course) but that was cancelled due to lack of people signing up for it :(. I need to talk to the language school and ask if they are going to run the main evening classes in January and see if I can get onto them.

My advice is to go for it! Don't worry about age or anything like that. I've started learning in my 30's and now at an intermediate level continue to enjoy it every day.

Those with a younger brain may have an easier time picking up new vocab than we do, but there's no reason why you can't accomplish it if it's something you want and enjoy. It just requires some good old fashioned patience, dedication and practice :)

Soldato
Bah, made the mistake of watching Kaze no Stigma instead of anything I knew should be more fulfilling as I liked the sound of the subject matter and plot premise, and the overall reviews weren't bad.

What a waste of time; just turned out to be more fairly generic stuff. All harmless and vaguely enjoyable, but certainly nothing more than patently average, and it didn't even really get into the 'meat' of the show til about the last 6 episodes; in that sense it felt like it easily could have been a 1 cour rather than 2 cour series.
Unfortunately I really hate dropping something I've started, unless it's utterly terrible :( Am gonna be taking a long hard look at my collection for the next series; I get the feeling Samurai Girls might have to wait, I need something with a bit more 'meat' to it, as I kinda feel like I'm drowing in the mass pool of average mediocrity and retreads, rather than the drawing heights of some of the better earlier shows I saw lol

Should be finishing Bakemonogatari with my younger brother later too, so will need to work out what the next joint series should be.
I might go finish off Shana S this evening, now that S III is on air. Might have to schedule a rewatch of Toradora/S&W soon as well.

Debating perhaps Planetes, Air or Canaan as next watches, as they all get good reviews. Feel free to drop me any recommendations based on my previous comments, I'd really like to get drawn into and connect with a show, rather than feeling like I'm watching something generic again, as I've watched quite a few which have felt like that recently. Not sure if it's because I'm feeling a little burnt out, or whether I'm genuinely picking shows that just aren't ...what I look for? :)

Edit:
On the plus side, my debt is now more or less paid so I can begin saving for a big Japan trip 2014 when my brother graduates Uni, probably with one of my best mates too, as we've always wanted to go there. Little daunted by the language barrier, and don't know what we'll get up to or how we'll get on yet...but it's certainly a goal. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Bah, made the mistake of watching Kaze no Stigma instead of anything I knew should be more fulfilling as I liked the sound of the subject matter and plot premise, and the overall reviews weren't bad.

I know what you mean with Kaze no Stigma ... for ages after it was licensed and released I kept on coming across it and thinking .. hmmm that looks interesting ... but it was always put aside for a purchase of something else. But then finally I got around to getting it and .... it was a bit of a let down. Not so much bad as meh!

Debating perhaps Planetes, Air or Canaan as next watches, as they all get good reviews. Feel free to drop me any recommendations based on my previous comments, I'd really like to get drawn into and connect with a show, rather than feeling like I'm watching something generic again, as I've watched quite a few which have felt like that recently. Not sure if it's because I'm feeling a little burnt out, or whether I'm genuinely picking shows that just aren't ...what I look for? :)
I thought all three of those shows listed were quite good (in different ways). Planetes for it's grittiness, Canaan for it's action (and looking good on BD) and Air ... for being Air. The only thing I would say I wouldn't bother with the extra Air in Summer episodes, personally I didn't find they added anything really to the story.

Edit:
On the plus side, my debt is now more or less paid so I can begin saving for a big Japan trip 2014 when my brother graduates Uni, probably with one of my best mates too, as we've always wanted to go there. Little daunted by the language barrier, and don't know what we'll get up to or how we'll get on yet...but it's certainly a goal. :D
If you are going to the main city tourist areas then I wouldn't worry to much about the language barrier ... it adds to the fun and I can't say I really had any issues with my **** poor current level. Currently I'm looking at going again in the autumn of next year.

--

On the anime front I have mostly been re-watching another slightly older series; Ai Yori Aoshi, along with it's sequel series Ai Yori Aoshi Enishi. The series seems at first glance to be your typical harem comedy but that isn't really the case at all. The male lead isn't really as wishy-washy as some and there is a definable main couple ... but there are issues to do with their families which means that things are not going as smoothly as they should. Most of the supporting cast are pretty reasonable (apart from Mayu who is just irritating) and I <3 Miyabi.

The first series is pretty good and for an anime of it's type is pretty dark in places. It is not as light as something like Love Hina and the main characters do become people who you want to move forward. It does come to a conclusion of sorts at a plot point but doesn't wrap up everything in an overall conclusion.

The big problem though is the second series. This was originally broadcast before the manga finished it's run so whilst it isn't bad it does have the feeling of filler episodes rather than something with a story of the quality of the first season and thus doesn't really move things forward towards the conclusion.

For the final conclusion you need the manga (which was published by Tokyopop). The manga covers roughly four years in the lives of the characters (compared with the animes two) over 17 volumes and does bring things to the final conclusion. The manga is very dark at times and also has more fanservice than the anime (which isn't really very short on it itself).

Overall; first season = good, second season = meh, manga = better :)

Soldato
I know what you mean with Kaze no Stigma ... for ages after it was licensed and released I kept on coming across it and thinking .. hmmm that looks interesting ... but it was always put aside for a purchase of something else. But then finally I got around to getting it and .... it was a bit of a let down. Not so much bad as meh!

I think that was a killer for me, like you say, it was distinctly average, and a little lackluster, but not terrible...which meant that with my standard mindset on at least finishing shows (I'm not OCD...but well it could seem like that!), I couldn't drop it until I'd finished it :(

I thought all three of those shows listed were quite good (in different ways). Planetes for it's grittiness, Canaan for it's action (and looking good on BD) and Air ... for being Air. The only thing I would say I wouldn't bother with the extra Air in Summer episodes, personally I didn't find they added anything really to the story.

I think I'm probably erring towards Canaan or Planetes, Planetes because I love Space, and Canaan because it's been a long time since I saw an action series that didn't feel like generic, over-cliched shounen stuff. I'm tempted with Air as I really like Kanon, and like Air (and the protagonist reminds me a lot of Yuuichi) but think perhaps that'd be best to set after something a bit more...different.

I know you're not fond of 12 Kingdoms, but also tempted with that as some of the visuals look awesome, and if some of the hinted character development is as good as I've heard mentioned, I could dig that.

If you are going to the main city tourist areas then I wouldn't worry to much about the language barrier ... it adds to the fun and I can't say I really had any issues with my **** poor current level. Currently I'm looking at going again in the autumn of next year.

We've not really planned enough yet, as its still so long a way off. I think the inner geek in me and my little brother would be quite interested in seeing Tokyo, and perhaps some of the more hobby/geeky areas, although perhaps only for a day or so; we're hoping to spend the best part of a month out there (minimum of 2 weeks, hoping for 3 or perhaps 4).

Would also like to travel around a little if we can afford it, we want to checkout the cities, but would quite like to see the sites (I understand at the right times of years the flora can be stunning and unlike anything you'd really see here) in places, and me and my mate (although perhaps not so much my younger brother) would be interested in looking at more cultural places; temples and the likes.

All up in the air right now though!
Hopefully language won't be an issue, as although I recognise a few words now (how could I not after watching so much these last couple of years lol), in terms of actual language command; I only remember a tiny handful such as 'thank you' and 'sorry', I perhaps ought to look at one of those 'learn basics' CD/DVDs haha!

Ended up watching Shana S and finishing off Bakemonogatari this evening.

I've not actually watched all of Shana S yet, so I'm looking forward to that, as I'd told myself I'd only watch the first episode, then wait until the final season was here. Still, the first episode, Reshuffle did get some smiles out of me.

Bakemono...well I enjoyed that much the same as first time; was nice to watch it all at once including the ep13-15 webisodes, which I couldn't the first time round as I watched it originally before they were complete and had to watch them later.

Have also updated my MAL a bit this evening so its probably a bit more up to date!
http://www.myanimelist.net/profile/tyranuus

Last edited:
Commissario
OP
Overall; first season = good, second season = meh, manga = better :)

*points to thread title* :p

I never did get round to reading the manga, although I really liked the first season.

I finished Soul Eater last night which was pretty good, a nice fun series for the most part and I really liked some of the character designs.
A bit of a different style to most of the anime I've seen :)

I'm probably going to have a bit of a rest from anime for the next week or two (possibly catch up a little on deadman wonderland etc), but mainly catch up on some of the live action stuff I've got sitting around.

Soldato
Well blitzed through Shana S this evening.

Have to admit I quite enjoyed it, little setup for the final season at the end of the credits of the fourth show, and call me a sap but the two parter did pull the heart strings a bit because it focused on what is lost etc rather than the usual perspective from team Shana.
Found it kinda poignant in a way.

Still, well up for Shana III now, not sure if its a 12 or 24 like the previous seasons though so this could be a long wait!

Associate
I've been doing a bit of decorating this week and i've made a few more purchases to brighten up the room.

img20111011152348.jpg

Excuse the quality of the camera and my poor picture hanging skills :p.

Associate
Children Who Chase Lost Voices From Deep Below I believe .... the JP BD box, due out next month I think, has English subs.

I would have said that but i couldn't be bothered to type out the really long title :p

I'll probably pick up some more to fill out the rest of the wall. Nothing worse than staring at a blank wall.

Soldato
I copied and pasted it :p ... November is a busy month with that and the global BD release of 5cm/s.

I had a sort out the other day (manga was become problematic) but I really need to dig out my camera and get a snap of my A__a canvas up as it looks really good against a dark wall (unfortunately the camera on the phone really doesn't cut it combined with my photo taking skills :))

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom