The anime thread sequel (it's still not as good as the Manga though),

Soldato
Trying not to read stuff like that :)

They give away a bit too much for posthumous watchers like me :)

Edit: Also made the mistake of trying Seikon no Qwasar last night. OHHHH dear, what a mess.
Insta-drop after the first two episodes!

Soldato
Shojo - aimed at young women (<18)
Taken from the sticky-Is it not spelled as Shoujo ?
Just asking :)
Also finally got around to watching Arrietty last night.....Thoroughly enjoyed every minute ,a typical Ghibli film imho :D
As has been said the ending was a little meh :( (Story sort of stopped midway)
Hopefully there will be a sequel or too to continue the storyline (Does this story relate to the book/books in any way ? )

Soldato
Also finally got around to watching Arrietty last night.....Thoroughly enjoyed every minute ,a typical Ghibli film imho :D
As has been said the ending was a little meh :( (Story sort of stopped midway)
Hopefully there will be a sequel or too to continue the storyline (Does this story relate to the book/books in any way ? )

Wikipedia indicates that Shojo can be written with or without the u (or without with a ~ over the o).

Arrietty really needed to continue the story on but I don't see Ghibli making a sequel as that's not something they normally appear to do ...

Associate

Depending on the rōmaji system used 少女 would be written either as Shoujo or Shōjo. The first 'o' is held for a longer time than the last.

Shojo would be a different kanji compound (処女) that more specifically translates to 'virgin' (and not just in the sense of living people: 'the virgin soil' or 'maiden voyage' for example).

Soldato
Depending on the rōmaji system used 少女 would be written either as Shoujo or Shōjo. The first 'o' is held for a longer time than the last.

Shojo would be a different kanji compound (処女) that more specifically translates to 'virgin' (and not just in the sense of living people: 'the virgin soil' or 'maiden voyage' for example).
I ask because I usually see it spelled as `Shoujo`most of the time.....
Those Nihongi words having more than one meaning :( :D makes it so difficult for us ,meaning me.
They have like 80000 words in their language I think I read :eek:

Soldato
*Sigh* Are these the new rules now or is it just you?

I'm going to watch Fate/Zero soon, looks good

No, I was just commenting that you seemed to be posting many links to reviews of episodes of new series without making any real input yourself. That is along the same lines as the RSS style threads which keep on appearing in GD.

The point of having threads such as this one is to discuss and express opinions on the subject rather than just link and run to reviews which can be found by a simple search. Personally I don't want to know what a random blogger thinks of a series (and whose posting may give too many spoilers on the episode) ... I want to know what Werewolf/Demoniser/Andarial/Alex (for example) think of the series as I can balance the opinion they express on something against previous opinions they have expressed on the thread and decide on whether something is worth a look or not by correlating said previous opinions against my own.

I.e. if someone says they have enjoyed series in the past, and I've agreed with them 80% of the time, then if they something is really good now then it's probably worth me having a look.

edit: I would also note that there aren't any "new" rules that I am aware of (unless Werewolf slipped some in).

Regarding Fate Zero ... yes I thought the first episode was pretty reasonable ... and as someone who wasn't into the games, and hence didn't really get one with the Unlimited Blade Works movie, I thought that it was a nice return to the same sort of thing as the original anime series.

Last edited:
Soldato

Given that my knowledge of kanji currently runs to those for "English Subtitles" I bow to your greater knowledge :) I purely went by the spelling options available on the Wikipedia entry (in my defense I probably would have gone for the latter of your options as it was the first one listed on the page but didn't know how to get a "ō" on my keyboard :)).

(Also did better than I predicted to Werewolf ... I said that the first post would be posted for 7mins before someone found a mistake / picked a hole).

Last edited:
Soldato
So has anyone seen any of the new programs? The new Shinryaku!? Ika Musume I am liking, a nice continuation on the old series. Also I have also seen Tamayura Hitotose, will carry on watching but it hasn't really sucked me into it, it seems to lack something. Though I am not sure what.

Associate
I ask because I usually see it spelled as `Shoujo`most of the time.....
Those Nihongi words having more than one meaning :( :D makes it so difficult for us ,meaning me.
They have like 80000 words in their language I think I read :eek:

More than that. The complete Oxford English dictionary also has over 200,000 words though, and there's considerably more than that if you count archaic and regional words.

We too have a lot of homophones and words with multiple definitions, though certainly not as many as Japanese. An extreme example though would be the word 'set' which has literally hundreds of different definitions in the Oxford dictionary. No Japanese word I can think of comes close to being that bad, though 'kakaru' is still troublesome for me sometimes.

The much smaller number of different syllables in Japanese leads to many different words sounding extremely similar too. So that also adds to the difficulty.

Associate
Given that my knowledge of kanji currently runs to those for "English Subtitles" I bow to your greater knowledge :) I purely went by the spelling options available on the Wikipedia entry (in my defense I probably would have gone for the latter of your options as it was the first one listed on the page but didn't know how to get a "ō" on my keyboard :)).

Well, I think 'shojo' has become a generally accepted spelling amongst western audiences that don't really know any better. It's not one I'd like to encourage though as しょうじょ (shoujo) and しょじょ (shojo) have different pronunciation and meaning in Japanese :)

It's the same thing with 'shounen' and 'shonen' by the way. Shounen means "boy(s)". Shonen means "first/early year(s)" in the sense of "first year of university" or "early years of the Meiji period".

Last edited:
Associate
So has anyone seen any of the new programs? The new Shinryaku!? Ika Musume I am liking, a nice continuation on the old series. Also I have also seen Tamayura Hitotose, will carry on watching but it hasn't really sucked me into it, it seems to lack something. Though I am not sure what.

I haven't started on any of the Fall series yet, though I don't tend to start on a series until a good number of episodes have already aired as I like to marathon anime.

I'm interested in Un-Go, Mirai Nikki, Chihayafuru, Guilty Crown and possibly the new Last Exile. For now I'm going to enjoy the third season of Natsume Yuujinchou, which I've been looking forward to for a long time :)

Caporegime
No, I was just commenting that you seemed to be posting many links to reviews of episodes of new series without making any real input yourself. That is along the same lines as the RSS style threads which keep on appearing in GD.

The reason I post these links and have done for a good few years now is to show people that a brand new series is out and has been reviewed. I do not post every episode linked only a brand new ep 1!. I also post upcoming anime news for each season when I get the info. I don't need to input anything other than a first episode link and when I get to see an interesting anime i'll give my thoughts as I've always done. :cool:

EDIT : Ok I'll shut up now :D :p

Last edited:
Soldato

I've only seen the two series you mention and Fate Zero so far ... mainly due to spending most of my weekend working through FMA:B but also because, like NuclearWinter, I prefer to have a couple of episodes available to watch before starting in order to form an initial opinion.

Personally I was the opposite of you; I wasn't overly impressed with the new series of Shinryaku!? Ika Musume, it just didn't seem as fresh as the first season but I was rather distracted when I watched it so I'll need to give it another look, but did really enjoy Tamayura Hitotose and thought it was nice after last years OVA releases.

Fate Zero seemed pretty reasonable to me for a first episode too.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/news/2011-10-09/new-hanasaku-iroha-work-in-2012-confirmed

Well.. :p

*looks at Memyselfandi with a smug grin*

(Only pulling your leg)

Intersting news though, I'm guessing if it's a follow on to the anime it will focus on the inn re-opening.

I'm a bit behind on the newest crop of titles, i'll be catching up with some of them this week.

:p. Yeah, I was reading this earlier. I'm guessing that you're right on what it will focus on. Hopefully it will be something animated but I'm struggling a bit to think of enough possible plots to justify a new series rather than a movie or OVA(s), (assuming that your guess is right then you have the cast coming together but the only other thing that comes to mind would be the death of an older character).

Well, I think 'shojo' has become a generally accepted spelling amongst western audiences that don't really know any better. It's not one I'd like to encourage though as しょうじょ (shoujo) and しょじょ (shojo) have different pronunciation and meaning in Japanese :)

It's the same thing with 'shounen' and 'shonen' by the way. Shounen means "boy(s)". Shonen means "first/early year(s)" in the sense of "first year of university" or "early years of the Meiji period".

I really need to learn some Japanese properly ... I was going to do a short course as a taster (and to see if I could cope with it as it's been 20 years since the last time I did a formal language course) but that was cancelled due to lack of people signing up for it :(. I need to talk to the language school and ask if they are going to run the main evening classes in January and see if I can get onto them.

If Werewolf is reading maybe he can edit the first post and add some u's.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom