The Aokigahara forest in Japan

Soldato
OP
No, being respectful to a place is quite simple, you just struggle to get your head around it evidently.

Respect has nothing to do with snobbery or obnoxious.

And it’s not just a forest, it’s a forest where people go to suicide, that’s the reason OP wants to go and that’s what the place is famous for, he isn’t going there because it’s a forest, he’s going there if it’s reputation of the suicides not to pay respects to the dead but to get a kick out of it.

That’s disrespectful.

How hard is that to understand.

My reason for going there is my brother will be the driver and wants to visit. If he’s hell bent on staying overnight then I would have course support that. If that how it goes I may camp or even find a place nearby to stay. Don’t fancy a night in the car so it’s one or the other.

Soldato
Respect has nothing to do with snobbery or obnoxious
i never said it had. i used the word snottery not snobbery. apologies, that's a colloquial term for being arsey/obnoxious. which you were and are continuing to be. so i'm not really interested in further debate with you.

I'll say this though, for what it's worth i actually fully understand where you're getting your false sense of disrespect from. if the op and his brother were going to try and locate actual spots in the forest where people had committed suicide and camp out directly in or near them for 'lols', particularly if family members of the deceased had placed shrines there i'd agree it was disrespect full. but they've made no reference to wanting to do that. he simply said his brother wanted to go and camp in the forest so i'll take it at face value. i'm not going to assume they are going there to get a kick out of it.

as a result of the suicides I gather it is a rather spooky place. it's also, from what i've read, incredibly quiet - wanting to visit somewhere like that and camp there is not disrespectul. in my opinion. - see i don't need to be arsey and ask why you can't get your head round that when posting my opinion.

but my view on it is neither here nor there. i've made my point, politely. you've made yours with your little snidey remarks tacked on for whatever reason. perhaps you feel it reinforces your point, i don't know the reason and i don't care. i'll leave you to it and wish you well.

Soldato
My reason for going there is my brother will be the driver and wants to visit. If he’s hell bent on staying overnight then I would have course support that. If that how it goes I may camp or even find a place nearby to stay. Don’t fancy a night in the car so it’s one or the other.
what? you mean you and you're brother aren't going to have a party and dance naked round the very trees where people committed suicide?! :(:p

Soldato
Best months are

March and April, September to November. Although September can be risky as it is typhoon season.

March and April I would agree with, but Autumn I would say mid-October - November. Even the first couple of weeks in October can still be rather nasty temperature and humidity wise and you can catch a late typhoon quite easily even then.

Caporegime
Does anyone know why people specifically go to this forest to take their own lives? Is there's some cultural significance?

(I watched a Vice documentary on it years ago, can't remember much though)

Actually, here it is:

Soldato
Yes, Diddums - it has a long history of being a traditional place to end your own life. In previous centuries those who considered themselves a burden on their family, such as the elderly, would take themselves off there and disappear.

Associate
your brother sounds pretty ghoulish if that is the reason he wants to visit it hoping to find a suicide victim.

Caporegime
Yes, Diddums - it has a long history of being a traditional place to end your own life. In previous centuries those who considered themselves a burden on their family, such as the elderly, would take themselves off there and disappear.

Thanks. I'm going to need to dig a bit deeper, I'm curious as to why this forest. At some point someone must've made the decision to use it.

I can't remember if it was the video I linked or another one but they say their park rangers remove an abandoned vehicle many times a week, so much so that they had to get a dedicated flatbed for them.

It's remarkable how honor bound the Japanese are, that they'd be willing to end it all if they consider themselves a burden to their family. Such a beautiful and grim thing at the same time.

Associate
How did you come to that conclusion? That’s not the reason for a visit.
That's literally what you said the reason for the visit was for in your first 2 posts.
Heading to Tokyo next summer with my brother who lives in Bangkok at present.

Anyone been to the Aokigahara forest? Want to see Mount Fuji so it’s on the to-do list.

Been watching YouTube and other videos but they are all about the suicides and idiots scaring themselves at night. My brother wants to camp overnight but I’m not so sure. I think it’s forbidden but plenty of people have done it, stumbling upon a body or getting lost doesn’t float my boat.

Cheers for the Ryokan tips guys, will certainly check it out. It’s my brother who’s up for camping overnight, due to the reputation of the forest.

How is that anything but ghoulish?

Associate
Where does it say he wants to find a suicide victim. that’s your own creepy interpretation.
the exact quote that I posted before literally says your brother wants to illegally camp overnight in the forest because of its reputation as a hotspot for suicides. How is it my interpretation that's at fault?

I feel confident in my assessment that your brother has issues, the fact you refuse to even contemplate that is your problem.

Soldato
OP
the exact quote that I posted before literally says your brother wants to illegally camp overnight in the forest because of its reputation as a hotspot for suicides. How is it my interpretation that's at fault?

I feel confident in my assessment that your brother has issues, the fact you refuse to even contemplate that is your problem.

Know him personally now do you? Did you polish your crystal ball this morning :p

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
March and April I would agree with, but Autumn I would say mid-October - November. Even the first couple of weeks in October can still be rather nasty temperature and humidity wise and you can catch a late typhoon quite easily even then.

We’re looking at early April now, should be able to do a month.

Back
Top Bottom