• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

**The ASrock 939dual-SATA2 (ULi M1695) thread**

Associate
Randell said:
did you do a complete format and reinstall and install the ULi drivers before the GPU drivers? This is a regular problem with this board if you don't start from scratch. Your card is probably running in PCI mode. If you read back to around pages 8-10 there is a fix.
I started with a new HD, installed Windows, then installed graphics drivers fairly early on in the process so as to not suffer with real slow windows while I did the rest of installations etc.

I spent 2 - 3 evenings installing apps/utilities/games and tweaking XP. That work is worth more than the cost of a new motherboard.

I should contact ASRock for a workaround to not have to re-install XP?

If you can't just un-install then re-install drivers then the product is NOT ready for retail sale. :confused:

Associate
edgedemon said:
Im having a nightmare with this. Have connected everything up, all the case fans start up and the CPU fan, but nothing else! No GFX display. Is this connected to the cold boot issues??
Another weird thing - connect up my 20pin PSU adapter, I get power, add in the 4pin 12V connector and I get nothing, take it out, I get power again - am I missing a jumper setting anywhere?
The ATX power connector is a 24 pin, but splits to 20pin and a 4 pin, but using the 4pin in the ATX12V1 SOCKET kills all response when I plug it in, Nothing powers up...
Wow, it must have been hard to get that to plug in there as it is keyed to not fit, as another poster said previously, it's a different black & yellow plug that's keyed differently that goes there. If you look at the plugs you'll see that two of the four are rounded over on one side each, both of the four pin plugs are done differently to prevent what you did (at least what I think you did) from happening. I thought the same thing, I figured that you would just remove the four pin part from the 24 pin part and that would be the "regular" old 4 pin part to plug into the seperate 4 pin socket on the motherboards that don't have 24 pin sockets ~ guess that would just be too obvious a way to do it.

Associate
Smokes said:
Just ordered one of these with an opteron 144, any recommendations on suitable memory? I'm after 1gb and will be overclocking slightly.

Ta :)
From the tests I've read on the net it seems that CPU MHz is the key to speed more than anything else with Athlon 64 systems so using a divider - setting the memory to "133" or "166" depending on how fast the memory will run/how fast you have your FSB set to would be the way to go, so just get some decent inexpensive low latency PC3200 that doesn't require higher than normal voltages?

I've got really cheap "Centon" brand memory on mine so I'm all the way down to "133" which at the 266Mhz FSB speed I'm using gives me 171 Mhz (342 DDR) so I'm also looking for some better memory which would at least let me swich to the "166" setting at 1T without spending a lot.

Man of Honour
critofur said:
I thought the same thing, I figured that you would just remove the four pin part from the 24 pin part and that would be the "regular" old 4 pin part to plug into the seperate 4 pin socket on the motherboards that don't have 24 pin sockets ~ guess that would just be too obvious a way to do it.
The voltages are different, so it would be impossible to do it that way.

Associate
critofur said:
I started with a new HD, installed Windows, then installed graphics drivers fairly early on in the process so as to not suffer with real slow windows while I did the rest of installations etc.

I spent 2 - 3 evenings installing apps/utilities/games and tweaking XP. That work is worth more than the cost of a new motherboard.

I should contact ASRock for a workaround to not have to re-install XP?

If you can't just un-install then re-install drivers then the product is NOT ready for retail sale. :confused:

well you know it's made quite clear to install the Uli drivers before the GPU drivers.

You can force the AGP through by updating the correct PCI to PCI bridge as an AGP controller via device manager. I ended up doing that to all 4 PCI bridges!

In the end I completely reinstalled windows to a new SATA HDD and its all been fine.

Associate
3dfX said:
It means that you have overclock'd a tad too much :)

The maths was wrong at the speed you were going

Theres a fine line with this board because of cpu voltage

I know my 4000 would do 2.8 - 3.0 on air with a few extra volts ;)

problem is: im not ocing, if it keeps happening should i up the voltage a tad?

Associate
hi there,

update is that the DDR XMS4400C25PT TwinX (2x512MB) has worked pretty well in this new rig, not yet established if 1T works , but certainly the PC appears pretty stable at 2.51Ghz , DDR is @ 400. I switched to S&M for testing because Prime95 is doing strange things, when running 2 instances of Prime95 & setting the affinity to differnet cores after passing 3-4 tests Prime95 just stops doing anything, PC is fine & responsive. not sure if this is my rig showing a problem or Prime95 being buggy, S&M does indeed hammer the CPU tho on both cores at the same time, temps reach a toasty 52c's .... prime only managed 49c.

Associate
hi everyone,

What would a normal 3dmark03 be for a system with 1gb ram , 3200 venice, 6600GT AGP and 939dual? ive seen a huge range of marks on futuremark.com, i think mine is kinda low. about 7700. ive got my ram running at 2.5 2 2 5 and 2T, nothing is Oced.

ps. this dosent seem to be much of a improvement on my older 2.8 northwood rig with the same graphics and 512 ram.

thanks,

Joe

Associate
I am talking to Antec at present as there appears to an issue with this board and the Smart Power power supply, the one which ships with the Sonata II. All the fans etc power up but nothing else. The other two power supplies I have tried work fine including a Globalwin and a Enermax.

Soldato
Spoke too soon...

edgedemon said:
Cheers Bungle, I am least getting output to the monitor now, will wire everything back up and start installing...
Found a plug with P4 on it, there were two, but I only tried one before because I thought it was for a P4 CPU, when it I tried it and nothing happened!!!
Many Thanks

M
Got everything in and connected up, went into the BIOS to set CDRom as 1st boot device, rebooted and it just sits there, blank screen, as monitor was on standby, all fans still going, but no output to monitor...
Have taken dvd, fdd, SATA drive back out, turned off and then restarted, no difference, how can you update the BIOS if you cant get to it!!!AHave

CLeared CMOS by taking battery out, still nojoy.
Any suggstons welcome!!!!

Permabanned
Hmm ive been really intrested in ordering one of these boards especially now that ive ordered a 146 Opti from ocuk

Will i have any problems with said CPU in this mobo ? im worried about flashing the bios as i dont have another A64 cpu to boot the rig up with it if wont take the 146 on the default bios ,can a flash be done without a cpu installed ? logic tells me no but thought i'd better ask

Has any one used a opti 146 on this board & defaut bios yet ?

Associate
Kinetic said:
Hmm ive been really intrested in ordering one of these boards especially now that ive ordered a 146 Opti from ocuk

Will i have any problems with said CPU in this mobo ? im worried about flashing the bios as i dont have another A64 cpu to boot the rig up with it if wont take the 146 on the default bios ,can a flash be done without a cpu installed ? logic tells me no but thought i'd better ask

Has any one used a opti 146 on this board & defaut bios yet ?

if the bio's is 1.20 or later(new bio's is 1.30 from asrock) you should have no problems as i got a 144 running and that was from a 3800x2 cpu in it before ,i runs very fine and overclocks well also ,There is a few orther bio's out there wich let you go over 300HTT if needed. I have flashed from 1.10wich my board came with to 1.20 but change last night to dif bio's wich have a few better thing in it
not hard if you do as it say on the tin!!

Permabanned
So 120 bios works fine ,so how do i go about flashing the bios to 120 if that is not the default on the board,will the cpu work well enough with the 1.10 bios to let me flash to an updated one ?

Im worried that the cpu will simply not work at all until i flashed the bios ,which leaves the question remaining ,how do i flash the bios if i have no cpu installed ?

Associate
Hi Guys Just built up a system with the 939 Dual-sata2 motherboard and upon switching the on/off switch to the rear of case have the same problem as in this link http://www.ocworkbench.com/ocwb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/30/5156.html I have tried a different psu myself with the same results and also disconnected all the connections to the panel header to make sure there's no crossed wires but with the same results, all the fans fire up and neon lights flash for that split second and turn off. Do all 939 Dual-sata2 motherboards do this or is it a fault

Associate
jetski said:
Hi Guys Just built up a system with the 939 Dual-sata2 motherboard and upon switching the on/off switch to the rear of case have the same problem as in this link http://www.ocworkbench.com/ocwb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/30/5156.html I have tried a different psu myself with the same results and also disconnected all the connections to the panel header to make sure there's no crossed wires but with the same results, all the fans fire up and neon lights flash for that split second and turn off. Do all 939 Dual-sata2 motherboards do this or is it a fault
Mine does this with both an Enermax and a Globalwin PSU. I think this is normal for the motherboard.

Soldato
Anyone been across to the cabbage filled 939 Opteron thread?? Anyone tried 1 of these opterons on this board? *** love to rig a well clocked cabbage and still keep my AGP card :) Cheers

Soldato
matt_fsr said:
Anyone been across to the cabbage filled 939 Opteron thread?? Anyone tried 1 of these opterons on this board? *** love to rig a well clocked cabbage and still keep my AGP card :) Cheers
Don't the cabbage Opterons require an increase in VCore to run stable which might mean this mobo isn't the best option?

Associate
I have just received my motherboard and the my Opteron 144 will be here next mon/tues, will let you know how I get on!

Most Opterons, even cabbages should get to 2.5GHz on standard vcore. I am hoping for a lot more though, depending on which core arrives!

Back
Top Bottom