• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

**The ASrock 939dual-SATA2 (ULi M1695) thread**

Associate
markeh said:
Any way of knocking up the multiplier? As the current 275HTT limit wont let me go past 2400 (x9), i remember I tried it once on the original install bios (which didn't have an option for upping the htt that i could find) and it just set itself back to 9...
AFAIK the CPU's are multiplier locked, I know you can lower the multiplier but won't be able to increase it past the stock setting, try lowering it (avoiding .5 settings) and upping the HTT.

Stu

Man of Honour
bungle said:
Speedfan will monitor the temps and volts just fine. Unfortunately there is no support for fan speed adjustment on this board which is a real shame as my case now sounds like a 747 taking off!

There's an easy fix for that - buy a fan controller. Akasa do a minimal one for under a tenner. Does the job fine for up to 3 fans, but it doesn't have neat displays for the fan speeds (though you could use software for that) or thermal probes. The more comprehensive fan controllers are ~£30.

OcUK sell some here

Man of Honour
Fireblade2K4 said:
What hardware monitoring software works with this board as MBM5 does not seem to include it in the list of supported boards?

Stu
MBM5 supports almost every board. That list is not really a list of supported boards. It's a list of boards for which configuration files are included in MBM5. For other boards, you have to mess with MBM5 settings in order to monitor every input, make notes and then try to work out which input corresponds to which figure. IIRC, MBM5 showed 9 temp inputs from this board - which one is which? The only one that's easy to find is the CPU temp - run SuperPI or something and see which temp goes up a lot. You might be able to find a config file on the MBM website, maybe. People do work out which settings are which and then post the config details there.

Man of Honour
Fireblade2K4 said:
What do the HtperTransport Multipliers on this board do, there are settings Auto, 200Mhz, 400Mhz, 600Mhz, 800Mhz and 1000Mhz.....how do these impact system performance, stability and what other settings effect/impact these?

I've been messing with the HTT and DDR clocks most of the day knowing pretty much what I'm doing but im lost with these other settings, there appear to be 2 places in the bios where they show up, some for the Northbridge and some for the Southbridge, I am new to A64 systems, little different from the old XP's when it come to overclocking, lol.

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Stu

I had the same trouble. I've been pootling along with a straightforward FSB x multi = CPU clock for years and K8 is a bit different. It doesn't help that the BIOS settings on this board are incorrectly labelled.

The two settings you mention are for the HyperTransport links between (i) the CPU and the northbridge and (ii) the northbridge and the southbridge. I can't think of a reason why you'd want them to be set differently to each other, but the option is there.

The settings for them are not as they are stated to be. They are not 200MHz, 400MHz, etc. That is simply wrong. You're right in thinking that they are actually multipliers, set relative to the base speed, the HTT, the "sort of equivalent to the FSB setting on other architectures speed", or whatever name you prefer for it. :) . '200MHz' is 1x, '400MHz' is 2x, etc. 'Auto' is unspecified, so who knows what it does? My guess is that it selects whatever multiplier would give a hypertransport speed closest to but not greater than 1GHz (e.g. if you set the base speed to 245MHz, Auto would set the HT multi to 4x).

In terms of stability, don't go over 1GHz. They're really intolerant to running over-spec. You can get major instability just a couple of percent over-spec.

In terms of performance, you're probably fine running them well under spec. There's oodles of spare bandwidth on them at stock speed and width (i.e. 1GHz, 16-bit), so you can certainly cut the bandwidth by a third without any performance loss. Maybe more.

I'd keep them at 16 bits wide and alter the multi manually to get the closest to 1GHz without going over at all. That should never give you less than 753MHz (251x3), which shouldn't reduce performance at all.

Man of Honour
High weirdness here. I had warm reboot issues with this board and my Spinpoint SATA2 HDD. The drive simply wasn't detected on a warm boot. No chance of restarting Windows or even rebooting with the reset button. I had to power down, wait a little and then power up.

That's no longer true. The drive is detected fine.

I haven't flashed a new BIOS or changed any BIOS settings.

Associate
Did the vcore mod tonight, awesome! 1.55v gives me 255x11 (2805) rock stable, no superPI rounding errors, 3dmark03 completes (and finally breaks the 13k barrier).

Just for the record, CPU-NB @ 800mhz (BIOS setting not actual speed), NB-SB @ 1000mhz.

BIOS 1.20 btw.

Associate
GingaNinja said:
Good work here guys. Stu - what voltage did you need to get your opty to 10x300? What ram multi? Jeez I hope I do as well!

Ginga
Was 10x300 @ 1.45v, RAM on a 133Mhz divider and LDT down to 2x (will show as 400Mhz on this board) and my ram timings were 3-3-3-8-2T with DRAM Voltage set to High.

Tried running 3dMark01SE but got BSOD on final test, I think my RAM is holding me back it seems to overclock terribly :(

What RAM is everyone else using with this board (2Gb kits that is) and what overclocks are you getting with them?

Stu

Soldato
not a 2gb kit but running 1.75 gb of no name 3200, single channel til i can get hold of another 512 stick :(

overclock is running at 274x10 default volts, htt is set to 3(600), ram is at 133, 7-3-3-2 2T dram volts also set to high.

Associate
mp260767 said:
not a 2gb kit but running 1.75 gb of no name 3200, single channel til i can get hold of another 512 stick :(

overclock is running at 274x10 default volts, htt is set to 3(600), ram is at 133, 7-3-3-2 2T dram volts also set to high.
You got that Prime stable, of tried any tests on it so far?

Stu

Associate
Stu, presumably with a HTT of 300 and a ram multi of 133, your ram should be within spec (i.e. 200), right? Through my reading around the internet, I've learned that this mobo can be quite temperatmental about ram, and a lot of peeps are having difficulty. I read somewhere that a chap managed to improve his OC by reducing the AGP aperture. Are you running an AGP card? If so, it might be worth trying to reduce the aperture to 128 or lower - doubt this'll have much impact on performance, but you might get more stability. There's also a Vdimm mod you can do, but this one requires a soldering iron, unlike the Vcore mod.

Ginga

Associate
Think i'm going to go back to bios 1.20, I've only tried OCWBeta3 so far, but I think you are right Ninja the board doesn't like my RAM, think im going to get some Crucial Ballistix PC4000 2Gb kit providing this board supplies enough volts without doing the voltage mod.

Stu

Associate
Raves said:
Good enough sound for me. I have had some issues with the mic however - i need to use mic boost in order to pick-up sounds. At first when mic boost was enabled I got some static when using the mouse wheel, but now I have it set to 'push key' to activate and its all good.

Mic boost completely screws up onboard sound for me. I cannot activate mic boost it without major distortion from the sound output - even whan mic not active.

I'm liking this board less and less. Has anyone else has problems using FX series NVIDIA based AGP cards in this board?

Back
Top Bottom