• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

**The ASrock 939dual-SATA2 (ULi M1695) thread**

Associate
GingaNinja said:
I was wondering. Does anyone know whether this board requires one of the newer version 2.2 ATX PSUs? It would be a deal clincher if it didn't because I could just literally swap the mobo and cpu in my sig for an opty 144 and ASrock mobo, without the need for anything else. Anyone know?

Ginga

it run off the 20pin style psu ,but all 24pin psu can run on 20-pin if needed its only the orther way you can run into problems

Soldato
Is it possible to mount a water block on this board?

I have a Standard backplate from another board and block
will these work?

Andy

Also what its the MAX vcore and DDR volts?

Last edited:
Soldato
is the only advantage of getting this board the ability to have AGP as well as PCI-e ? Just wondering as i will be shortly receiving (hopefully) my Opteron 146 CPU and i building a new system and not sure yet what motherboard to go for. I realise there a lot of good things said about this board. But im a bit new to all this. Will be buying a X800 GTO2 G-card as well....So dont want to go SLi...

Any advice on mobo would be appreciated. Budge, well dont want to spend over say £80 on a mobo if i can help it. I dont know anything (as of yet) about overclocking. I may learn though as this opteron seems to be worth doing that with.

Associate
new OCW beta bios 3 based on the 1.40 bios but meant to have better RAM compatibility - so maybe I can run my RAM at 200mhz, wont boot over 166 grr (currently with HTT at 240, RAM divider at 133, RAM real speed = 160mhz). Not sure whether more VDimm (which cant do without modding) or a new PSU would help (currently 2 year old Hiper 420W). Will try this bios and see if it helps me.

Soldato
hi i recieved this bored yesterday with my new amd 64 3700+ san diago. im getting nothing. iv connected graphics card, ram, cpu, and psu... and i switch it on... fans spin and stuff but im getting no out put to my vga... iv tryed 4 diffrent gfx cards.. still nothing.

this is allso wierd... when i connect the power cable to my psu and switch the button on my psu.. i get a 1 sec power up... LED fans come on cpu fan.. and gfx card fan.. for 1sec.

please help :(

Associate
this is allso wierd... when i connect the power cable to my psu and switch the button on my psu.. i get a 1 sec power up... LED fans come on cpu fan.. and gfx card fan.. for 1sec

this bit must be normal, since i also get this initial effect when turning on the PSU rear rocker switch - effectievly putting the pc into standby, ready for power up.

sorry i cant help on the other thing - i didnt have to change anything, and it booted up ok

A64 3500+
9800 pro AGP
1gig corsair Twinx
hitachi sata HD
maxtor IDE HD
IDE dvd writer

Associate
Hey -=BAF=-AXE. I understand the max Vcore is a lowly 1.45v, but a really easy mod with a conductive pen can take that up to 1.55v. (Still not great but better than 1.45v, eh?) Regarding Vdimm, iirc, the BIOS doesn't state specifically was the dimm voltage is; it just states 'Standard' and 'High', which equate to 2.6 and 2.7v, respectively (I think). This too can be modded but it's not quite so easy.

Here's a link. Hope that helps. I've snagged myself a 144 opty that can do nearly 3GHz on 1.65v, so I going to see what she does at 1.55v - when I get time to put it all together.

Ginga

Soldato
:( There goes my plans, was looking to chuck a winnie in there!

Even 1.55 wont be enough on water to get the most outta it :(

Ill have to keep looking for a baord in that case :(

Cheers

Andy

Associate
Andy - if you don't mind a bit of soldering, you can take the Vcore up to 1.65 and beyond, but you'd need more nerve (and a steadier hand) than I! Also, I just found this linky - most comprehensive review I've read about this board. It seems that for casually interested overclockers like me, this board will do just fine, but the hardcore OCers might be disappointed.

Ginga

Associate
Rufio said:
hi i recieved this bored yesterday with my new amd 64 3700+ san diago. im getting nothing. iv connected graphics card, ram, cpu, and psu... and i switch it on... fans spin and stuff but im getting no out put to my vga... iv tryed 4 diffrent gfx cards.. still nothing.

this is allso wierd... when i connect the power cable to my psu and switch the button on my psu.. i get a 1 sec power up... LED fans come on cpu fan.. and gfx card fan.. for 1sec.

please help :(

You have plugged in the four pin socket from the PSU to the motherboard as well as the ATX power 20 pin, have you??

Associate
I've just ordered me one of these boards with a Opty 146, at just under £45 this board is a bargin, if i'm not happy with it, its only £45 at the end of the day but it gives me something else to play with this weekend, let the overclocking begin :D

Stu

Associate
-=BAF=-AXE said:
Randell, what does the vdimm go up to?

Andy

On High MBM 5 is reporting it as 2.55v on average, which is obviously undervolting as its meant to be 2.7v.

GingerNinja is right its for casual OC'ing - its a budget board, that's why its Asrock not Asus. I'm happy enough with 2.4ghz from 2.0ghz with stock HSF and no real effort - except for my memory problem, which may well be due to the PSU being a bit older and weaker than modern ones.

Associate
Right, I have got this motherboard today and i've been reading through this thread or one somewhere else about this board and i'm sure it said that you only need a 20pin ATX power connector for this board, but i've noticed there is also the 4pin 12v connector on the board, does this have to be connected as well as i'm not 100% sure if my PSU has one without looking :confused:

Stu

Associate
Hmm, don't remember seeing a 4pin 12v connector on it when I installed it, but that was the best part of a year ago :p

I'll be having the pleasure if building tomorrow and see how far I can push my 146 Opteron CABYE :D

Stu

Back
Top Bottom