The Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q – a 27” 1400p 144Hz Monitor with G-SYNC

Soldato
How do you guys find vram usage at 1440p on MMO's and BF4 as such, im really considering this monitor but heard 1440p can be vram demanding?

On a 3GB GPU you'll be fine on those sorts of games if you knock down MSAA to 2x. I'm not sure if it's a VRAM limitation specifically, but my GTX 780 is much happier without 4x MSAA enabled on BF4 at that resolution.

Sem

Sem

Soldato
Adjusting colour channels slightly (or as much as the 'warm' setting does) won't significantly impact overall gamma and if you leave them at defaults you shouldn't really notice colours being too 'strong'. Each individual unit is different though, yours may be too strong in one particular channel. The overall intensity you perceive is also impacted by brightness, so what brightness setting are you using? I'd suggest working on that before fussing about anything else.

Do you have a review swift yet

my current settings are

R 95
G 95
B 100

Brightness 15
Contrast 50

and i still find the whites and some of the colours to be too bright

dropping the brightness any lower would make the whole thing look dim rather than sort out the colours

i wish the monitor had a setting for gamma in the OSD like my BenQ did

i had to go into the NV control panel and set the gamma to 0.90 or 0.95 still tweaking and now it looks great

but i would rather avoid using the NV cp to change it

do you think by further tweaking the RGB settings i can reduce the brightness of the whites

Sem

Sem

Soldato
or maybe i should just let my eyes adjust to this new screen instead of trying to get it to look my BenQ

lol spent more time trying to calibrate than test/play games

Soldato
or maybe i should just let my eyes adjust to this new screen instead of trying to get it to look my BenQ

lol spent more time trying to calibrate than test/play games

If you lower the colour channels then you start to lose contrast. The intensity of white (and indeed other shades) is reduced whilst black point stays the same. I would definitely try to get used to it rather than trying to make it look like something that probably doesn't look like it 'should' anyway. ;)

Soldato
Two days with the Swift. Compared to my old Dell 3008WFP (2560x1600, 30", IPS):

I don't know if firmware is in any way upgradable on this thing but I really wish ASUS would give us better options for the GamePlus stuff. It's not a bad idea, the execution is just the definition of half-assed. If ASUS won't do anything about it, hopefully someone figures how to replace the crosshair graphics

Thanks for your round up. I also thought about and hoped the firmware was/will be upgradable/editable to allow for custom GameMode graphics.

Personally I would love just a single small dot of a configurable colour. This should not be all that hard to write into firmware. It's something ASUS should seriously look at and would be a genuine selling point above and beyond their already impressive spec list.

Sem

Sem

Soldato
If you lower the colour channels then you start to lose contrast. The intensity of white (and indeed other shades) is reduced whilst black point stays the same. I would definitely try to get used to it rather than trying to make it look like something that probably doesn't look like it 'should' anyway. ;)

lol my ocd got the better of me and i unboxed my XL2420T and put it side by side with the swift to try and calibrate and your 100% right
the reason the whites appear to bright is because the white i am used to on the benq isnt really white at all
its white with a yellowish tinge to it while the swift is a clear white

i will just leave it and get used to it

only had the swift for 8 days used the benq for 2.5 years

hopefully i will adapt in the next few weeks

Associate
Adjusting colour channels slightly (or as much as the 'warm' setting does) won't significantly impact overall gamma and if you leave them at defaults you shouldn't really notice colours being too 'strong'. Each individual unit is different though, yours may be too strong in one particular channel. The overall intensity you perceive is also impacted by brightness, so what brightness setting are you using? I'd suggest working on that before fussing about anything else.

It doesent matter much what Brightness I use mate.

On Warm I found around 25 to be great and with User Mode I think that around 20 percent, same as TftCentral said in the review seems to be best.

And it's only in User Mode i feel the colours are what's it called, over saturated. But have been trying Jeps value of 95 on red and green seems to take it down one notch, so it feels a little better.

Maybe it's just that I am not used to have perfect colours as the ones on the VG278H was what people calls aweful ..LOL!

Maybe I just have to get used to it. It's not that I not like it and it's only in User Mode as I said. Other then that the colours are really crazy good and I have never seen such warm vibrant colours on a monitor before :)

I just loves this monitor and cant belive how awesome 1440P looks and g-sync, it's just woow, im lost for words :D

Last edited:
Associate
lol my ocd got the better of me and i unboxed my XL2420T and put it side by side with the swift to try and calibrate and your 100% right
the reason the whites appear to bright is because the white i am used to on the benq isnt really white at all
its white with a yellowish tinge to it while the swift is a clear white

i will just leave it and get used to it

only had the swift for 8 days used the benq for 2.5 years

hopefully i will adapt in the next few weeks

Same here mate, but I had the aweful Asus vg278H around exactly 2.5 years also so it's safe to say we are indeed used to crappy colours and do not really know how white should look :D
This ROG SWIFT surely puts all other gaming monitors out there to shame!

Soldato
Well it sounds like you guys are just adjusting to better colours really. I remember when I was reviewing the ASUS VG248QE and used it solo for several days. When I got back onto a nicely calibrated IPS monitor the colours were so saturated and rich I felt like things were almost too saturated. But then when I adjusted to the 'proper' colours and went back on the ASUS it was just a washed out mess.

Oh and to anybody skim reading. That's the VG248QE I'm talking about, not the PG278Q. The latter does seem to be putting other gaming monitors to shame, can't wait to fully review it. It's typical that I have loads of other things happening when it finally comes time for the review eh? :(

X3T

X3T

Associate
Now here's the question:

ROG Swift vs Eizo Foris vs BenQ 2420Z

Which is the best for fast paced FPS (Quake 3, UT, etc..), if we ignore price and G-Sync (I have an AMD card)? :D

Last edited:
Associate
Now here's the question:

ROG Swift vs Eizo Foris vs BenQ 2420Z

Which is the best for fast paced FPS (Quake 3, UT, etc..), if we ignore price and G-Sync (I have an AMD card)? :D

The swift will be best. I own the benq and have owned the foris.

Foris has smooth motion but suffers from blur / ghosting because of being VA. It also has the most input lag. I found it to be particularly noticeable after using TN screens for a long time. Colour and brightness uniformity is also not great.

Benq is good and you can use ULMB for motion blur reduction but response times are slightly better with the swift and of course you get gsync.

If you dont care for rez above 1080p or gsync then get the benq

X3T

X3T

Associate
The swift will be best. I own the benq and have owned the foris.

Foris has smooth motion but suffers from blur / ghosting because of being VA. It also has the most input lag. I found it to be particularly noticeable after using TN screens for a long time. Colour and brightness uniformity is also not great.

Benq is good and you can use ULMB for motion blur reduction but response times are slightly better with the swift and of course you get gsync.

If you dont care for rez above 1080p or gsync then get the benq

Thanks! Swift it is.

Associate
They are. ;)

Yeah as I said earlier, it have such good colours that one who have used crap before can think that it's even to oversaturated, it's almost to good ..LOL!

And about your earlier post PCM2, we guys are just adjusting to a better thing as you said, it takes some time after using a crappy TN before this superscreen :D

And a big thank you for your input and help PCM2 :)

Last edited:
Associate
I was originally going for the Acer 4k2k G-sync, but you guys, especially the TFTCentral review, have convinced me and I have changed my order to the RoG Swift.

Back
Top Bottom