The Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q – a 27” 1400p 144Hz Monitor with G-SYNC

Soldato
But i have two installs of BF4 one Retail one CTE and get same problem in both and there both about two week old install's , All so seen others are having a great time in BF4 with out problems using this monitor ,Now I know that not to many people have this monitor yet and from them that I've seen that do have it there is nothing but good feedback ,I really just starting to wonder if I am too picky ..but just seems strange how a none G-SYNC can out perform a G-SYNC well for me any way same game same system just switch over monitors and boom no motion blur and no stuttering smooth as butter .So if that's the case how can it be game ? Really starting to think that maybe I just an unlucky guy and maybe got a faulty monitor .

Problem is now i am kinder worried that if there is a fault and i at to send back to Asus I would have a monitor returned back me that looked like is was in a dumper truck for a week, seen to many bad things about Asus support ,people getting there monitor back marked and scratched ,

Something is seriously wrong. Do you have a DSR in place? Does switching back to your old monitor resolve issues? How does ULMB perform? Do you get good results when gsync is off? My game has actually got better since getting monitor:

cjhtnaJ.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Can people give feedback about what this is like to watch standard 720p/1080p movies on compared to a good quality IPS screen?

Please forgive the bump but this screen has got my tech interest piqued like nothing else released in a long time.

Got an itchy finger waiting to click buy (even though I'm off traveling within the year) but want to know how good it is for films since I'd be using it as an all-in-one solution.

Associate
Please forgive the bump but this screen has got my tech interest piqued like nothing else released in a long time.

Got an itchy finger waiting to click buy (even though I'm off traveling within the year) but want to know how good it is for films since I'd be using it as an all-in-one solution.

I've not watched a movie on mine but I have watched a couple of 720p TV shows and it looks absolutely fine. Very similar to my 1440p IPS

Associate
Something is seriously wrong. Do you have a DSR in place? Does switching back to your old monitor resolve issues? How does ULMB perform? Do you get good results when gsync is off? My game has actually got better since getting monitor:

cjhtnaJ.png

DSR ? Wireless router ?

Yes it smoother on old monitor mind you its only 1080p but that should be no big thing for 2x780 cards

Nothing but good reviews so its some thing my end .. http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1177

Last edited:
Soldato
I've not watched a movie on mine but I have watched a couple of 720p TV shows and it looks absolutely fine. Very similar to my 1440p IPS

Thanks Jeps, exactly what I was hoping to hear. :)

I don't expect perfection, it's all about give and take in the compromise but if it's similar I'd be very happy. I will use it for about 60% general office/web, 30% games and 10% videos, but don't want any any aspect to be weak. Gaming's where the passion for tech comes in so that's why this monitor's so appealing to me. Wouldn't want to go below 1440P again and getting 144Hz, 3D Vision 2 and G-Sync is a massive upgrade without sacrificing that lush resolution.

If others can add their input on the video side too, that would be great. We all know how good it is for gaming! :cool:

Associate
Not sure how long you have had it - if it's under 7 days then you can return no questions asked.

Just went to try again ingame but the screen was showing a message ..

"OUT OF RANGE" and then the light went mad changing colors and so alt tab out the game and then went to control panel and there is no more G-SYNC option any more ..

Associate
I used a spyder3 pro to calibrate my screen but only because I have one to hand. I wouldn't go out and buy one just for this monitor. Best just to try out different settings to see what you like.

Dident know that a 3'rd version was out and now with a quick check I see that there is even a Spyder 4, so then I will get the 4 Pro or the Elite version then, if I absolutely must have one calibrator :)

But as you guys says, dont really need one and right now on User mode im more then happy, so I guess i will settle atleast for now :)

Thanks for your input Jeps!

Associate
DSR ? Wireless router ?

Yes it smoother on old monitor mind you its only 1080p but that should be no big thing for 2x780 cards

OK I'm going to start at the beginning and list every single thing I can think of that might be causing some kind of issue in the hopes that we can finally sort it out somehow. You've probably already done a lot of this already but its worth going back to the start.

1) Nvidia Control Panel-> Manage 3D Settings -> Global settings tab -> Restore
2) Nvidia Control Panel-> Manage 3D Settings -> Program settings tab -> find bf4 in list -> Restore
3) Nvidia Control Panel-> Set up Gsync -> untick to disable
4) Nvidia Control Panel-> Configure SLI -> Disable SLI
5) Nvidia Control Panel-> Configure SLI -> Enable SLI (sometimes just disabling and enabling SLI has fixed issues for me)
6) Nvidia Control Panel-> Set up Gsync -> Tick to enable
7) Nvidia Control Panel-> Manage 3D Settings -> Global settings tab -> Scroll down to v-sync and set it to Gsync
8) Nvidia Control Panel-> Change Resolution -> Make sure its 2560x1440 and 144hz (might be worth switching it down to 60 and back up)
9) Control Panel -> Mouse -> Pointer Options -> untick enhanced pointer precision
10) Set mouse polling rate to 1000hz (you'll have to do this from whatever mouse software you use)

We'll leave max pre rendered frames at default for now as I've read that changing it can cause problems with SLI. Once all thats done, fire up BF4 and go to the settings

1) Controls -> Raw Mouse Input -> On
2) Gameplay -> Network Smoothing Factor -> 0%
3) Gameplay -> High Frequency Network Updates -> High
4) Video -> Fullscreen Resolution -> 2560x1440 144.00Hz
5) Video -> Fullscreen Mode -> Fullscreen
6) Video -> Vertical Sync -> Off
7) Video -> Field of View -> 100 or more (this is a tricky one and you will need to experiment with it. You might need it a bit higher then you are used to because you have a bigger monitor now)
8) Video -> Field of View Scaling -> Whichever you prefer
9) Video -> Motion Blur Amount -> 0%
10) Video -> Resolution Scaling -> 100%
11) Video -> Graphics Quality -> High (Can change this later but high should be a good start

Now everything is set up ingame, start playing and hit the ¬ key to bring up the console. Type in:

perfoverlay.drawfps 1 (shows ingame fps)
gametime.maxvariablefps 135 (you might need to set this every time you fire up BF4)

If its still not right after all that then its probably a faulty monitor but try a few other games as well to make sure of it! The field of view setting is pretty important when changing monitor size as having it too low on a big screen can make some people feel motion sickness/headaches.

Last edited:
Associate
OK I'm going to start at the beginning and list every single thing I can think of that might be causing some kind of issue in the hopes that we can finally sort it out somehow. You've probably already done a lot of this already but its worth going back to the start.

1) Nvidia Control Panel-> Manage 3D Settings -> Global settings tab -> Restore
2) Nvidia Control Panel-> Manage 3D Settings -> Program settings tab -> find bf4 in list -> Restore
3) Nvidia Control Panel-> Set up Gsync -> untick to disable
4) Nvidia Control Panel-> Configure SLI -> Disable SLI
5) Nvidia Control Panel-> Configure SLI -> Enable SLI (sometimes just disabling and enabling SLI has fixed issues for me)
6) Nvidia Control Panel-> Set up Gsync -> Tick to enable
7) Nvidia Control Panel-> Manage 3D Settings -> Global settings tab -> Scroll down to v-sync and set it to Gsync
8) Nvidia Control Panel-> Change Resolution -> Make sure its 2560x1440 and 144hz (might be worth switching it down to 60 and back up)
9) Control Panel -> Mouse -> Pointer Options -> untick enhanced pointer precision
10) Set mouse polling rate to 1000hz (you'll have to do this from whatever mouse software you use)

We'll leave max pre rendered frames at default for now as I've read that changing it can cause problems with SLI. Once all thats done, fire up BF4 and go to the settings

1) Controls -> Raw Mouse Input -> On
2) Gameplay -> Network Smoothing Factor -> 0%
3) Gameplay -> High Frequency Network Updates -> High
4) Video -> Fullscreen Resolution -> 2560x1440 144.00Hz
5) Video -> Fullscreen Mode -> Fullscreen
6) Video -> Vertical Sync -> Off
7) Video -> Field of View -> 100 or more (this is a tricky one and you will need to experiment with it. You might need it a bit higher then you are used to because you have a bigger monitor now)
8) Video -> Field of View Scaling -> Whichever you prefer
9) Video -> Motion Blur Amount -> 0%
10) Video -> Resolution Scaling -> 100%
11) Video -> Graphics Quality -> High (Can change this later but high should be a good start

Now everything is set up ingame, start playing and hit the ¬ key to bring up the console. Type in:

gametime.maxvariablefps 135 (you might need to set this every time you fire up BF4)

If its still not right after all that then its probably a faulty monitor but try a few other games as well to make sure of it! The field of view setting is pretty important when changing monitor size as having it too low on a big screen can make some people feel motion sickness/headaches.

Thanks All for replying and trying so hard to help me ,but i think ill stop trying now ..And thanks with a list to help but i have done all that over and over again and seems that nothing as helped me ,I am pretty sure this monitor is a faulty one ,In my last post I said now G-SYNC is not even showing up in control panel the PC does not even know that this is a G-SYNC monitor there is no option there .just done a reset all on the monitor to see this would force windows to update the info it need to get g-sync to work again ,this is a fresh driver install that i done today .I am going round and round the same things over and over nothing seems to be helping if other people are enjoying there monitors and i am not ,my PC and gaming was fine until i got this monitor its the only things that changed on my system ,So its all pointing to a problem with my monitor not all of them just I got unlucky and got a broken or faulty one that's all .. Even tried getting on to nvidia them self's to see if they could maybe enlighten me and tel me if any thing what i am doing wrong but then I come back to i think its a faulty monitor ..

Cheers all

Associate
One last thing to try if you can. Switch the monitor cable. Might be something as simple as a bad displayport cable.

Sem

Sem

Soldato
has anyone tried creating a custom 4k resolution then down sampling

4K downsampled @ 60hz with g-sync could make things very interesting

Man of Honour

You can put these into a user.cfg in the same folder as the bf4.exe (might need to make the file originally in my docs or something and copy it over due to UAC).

Associate
Well Asus swift is ordered :) tuck me a week to make up my mind.

I have been thinking about getting a 144hz monitor for ages only ever had 60hz and 1440p which sounds nice so it has to be better than my AOC 60hz £99 monitor I got 2 years ago that I am using now :)

Last edited:
Soldato
For those of you worried about input lag

lag-bf4.png

With VSYNC OFF averages of 72ms and 74ms, this is very similar to G-SYNC averages of 77ms and 74ms respectively. The variability of the averages appears to fall well below the noise floor of the high variability of Battlefield 4, so Blur Busters considers the differences in averages statistically insignificant. During game play, we were unable to feel the input lag difference between VSYNC OFF versus G-SYNC. This is good news; G-SYNC noticeably improved Battlefield 4 visual gameplay fluidity with no input lag compromise.

Associate
Well Asus swift is ordered :) tuck me a week to make up my mind.

I have been thinking about getting a 144hz monitor for ages only ever had 60hz and 1440p which sounds nice so it has to be better than my AOC 60hz £99 monitor I got 2 years ago that I am using now :)

i have same and thinking about this rog ))

Back
Top Bottom