The Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q – a 27” 1400p 144Hz Monitor with G-SYNC

Permabanned
Unfortunately, take everything he says with a pinch of salt, his website currently has big Asus adverts splashed all over, and he's one of those reviewers that gives everything a gold award

Did you even watch it till the end?

He says some things he knows Nvidia and Asus are not going to like.

The reviews are few and far between so its better than none.

Soldato
I'm no expert on hardware reviews and the process, but I find the fact there are no decent reviews out yet for this monitor a bit worrying (if you really want to get one that is).

Is it not like game reviews that are 'embargoed' until the day/ after release, because they're full of problems, or just utter ****?

Permabanned
I do not think he said that, he was talking about V-Sync and how if it cannot hold 60FPS it will drop lower but I though next step down was 45FPS.

V-Sync works in Steps/Ratios.

EDIT :"Essentially this means that with double-buffered VSync, the framerate can only be equal to a discrete set of values equal to Refresh / N where N is some positive integer. That means if you're talking about 60Hz refresh rate, the only framerates you can get are 60, 30, 20, 15, 12, 10, etc etc. You can see the big gap between 60 and 30 there. Any framerate between 60 and 30 your video card would normally put out would get dropped to 30."

Last edited:
Associate
That review... "if your game runs at below 60fps, the monitor drops to 30hz"...

What does this guy do for a living?

He fumbles words so meant FPS, since with vsync dropping below 120 will put you on 60FPS and below that it goes to 30 unless you're using adaptive vsync (turns off vsync if it can't hit the target).

Associate
Ah I missed that he was talking about with v-sync enabled; I suspect I'm just bitter that the wait has been so long and that somebody who hasn't technically vetted their spiel is providing the one review available.

Permabanned
Ah I missed that he was talking about with v-sync enabled; I suspect I'm just bitter that the wait has been so long and that somebody who hasn't technically vetted their spiel is providing the one review available.

There is more than 1 review, I am sure I posted the others here.

Here just for you (few weeks ago) :

Soldato
That review... "if your game runs at below 60fps, the monitor drops to 30hz"...

What does this guy do for a living?

Yeah he meant the step down in frame rate to 30fps if your frame drops even slightly below 60fps with V-SYNC enabled. If you also enable triple buffering then you don't have that problem, but you still get stutter because the monitor will be duplicating some frames.

One thing I am thankful for in this review is that it seemed to confirm that the monitor is using a relatively light matte screen surface. I'll have to inspect this thing first hand (hurry up ASUS UK) to confirm just how light, but the behaviour of light striking the monitor suggests it is a bit different to the grainy/heavier surfaces used on other 144Hz models. :)

Permabanned
And Triple Buffering add even more Lag so not too good for MP gaming.

I was hoping for a Gloss/Glass version, there was rumours on ROG forum that that was part of the hold up with peeps debating the screen finish.

Soldato
Playing the devils advocate here maybe he was trying to explain it for the general audience - that basically G-Sync is more variable than V-Sync which will provide a smoother gaming experience.

I have to admit though that I fail to see the point in recording high frame rate which is either recorded @60fps or played back with a monitor that is not capable of reproducing the same framerate.

Associate
Playing the devils advocate here maybe he was trying to explain it for the general audience - that basically G-Sync is more variable than V-Sync which will provide a smoother gaming experience.

Eh I'd say it's more a lack of experience with monitor reviews, something new to his channel. His case reviews on the other hand are probably some of the best, reviewing every detail there is.

Soldato
Eh I'd say it's more a lack of experience with monitor reviews, something new to his channel. His case reviews on the other hand are probably some of the best, reviewing every detail there is.

Yeh perhaps. You look at some of the reviews on TFT Central and the sort of tests they run are very sophisticated indeed.

Tend to agree with other people here that it is a shame that Asus have not sent the monitor to some of the heavyweight reviewers in the industry.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yeh perhaps. You look at some of the reviews on TFT Central and the sort of tests they run are very sophisticated indeed.

Tend to agree with other people here that it is a shame that Asus have not sent the monitor to some of the heavyweight reviewers in the industry.

Ive been trying to sort one with Asus but so far no luck. I think it might just be a case of there literally being no stock in the uk yet at all, or anywhere for that matter. Maybe soon I will get my hands on one and we can really figure out what it's like :)

Permabanned
This monitor has only 1x display port and nothing else??? HDMI, DVI no???

The very same reason the 120HZ overclocked Korean models have 1 input.

Having multiple inputs on a multiplier adds input lag.

HDMI is no good for 120/144HZ at 2460x1440p its 1920x1080p@60HZ.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom