The Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q – a 27” 1400p 144Hz Monitor with G-SYNC

Associate
Anyone else have issues with second monitors that are different refresh rate? If I uninstall the drivers and re-install it fixes it, but it seems to go back randomly. It's like the second monitor is running at like 30Hz or something, super laggy.

Associate
Sigh, I managed to scratch my monitor while rejigging my desk..... fanfreakingtastic. Corner of my K70 keyboard slipped and created two small scratches. Just wondering if it can be sent back and repaired or what can be done.

Last edited:
Associate
Got exactly the same issue - Though not tried with the ULMB. Will have a look tomorrow at that.

Waiting to hear what OCUK are going to do about it. Did you get yours fixed? Will be a real pain/issue if I'm going to have to RMA and stick around for a pick-up. Not even sure that's an option for me for the next few weeks! Highly inconvenient!

Cheers,

Rich

Sounds like a similar problem. I have tried to take photos to demonstrate

ULMB Off
PMxENpL.jpg

ULMB ON
AJf4jaw.jpg

The effect can be seen above especially in the menu buttons where the underscore touches the text in the first image. I am hoping its something software based and not RMA

Soldato
20141104_145006_zpsvmabhsh8.jpg

Got mine, just waiting on the GPUs for my notebook to arrive to really use it properly while gaming.

Associate
My ROG Swift seems to be exhibiting the vertical stripes/inversion effects other have described (both here and on Asus' ROG forum), and I'm beginning to wonder what to do with it. It's really noticeable in the background of Driver San Francisco, and throughout in Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed (right across the screen I can detect it).

I've read a few people saying their monitors were manufactured October 2014 and are fine, mine is August 2014.

Incidentally, on the back, where the monitor meets the stand, there's a small thin, multi cable strip of wire, which is hanging lower than where it should be (I think), with some glue patches around, as though it's been stuck in roughly. It's easy to catch your hand on it when raising and lowering the monitor, if you hold it the wrong way.

I kept the box, just in case, but was wondering if it'd be an RMA to Overclockers or to Asus, given I got the monitor with a new PC build that arrived at the end of October?

Associate
I'm trying to sort out an RMA as well. Found that if you use ULMB mode at 120hz it clears up, but 1. there's flickering and 2. I didn't spend nearly £700 for this experience. So somewhat less than impressed.

It's doing a funky new thing as of yesterday evening too:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jblgi3tpvur4qvd/2014-11-04 19.12.04.mov?dl=0

Slowly sorting out the RMA with Overclockers (got mine in mid-September (not sure why it's taking quite as long as it is).

Rich

Associate
Okay forgive me for this really dumb sounding question which has probably been asked a thousand times already, but is the jump from 1080p to 1440p picture-wise as outstanding as some say?

Reason I ask is I'm looking at this monitor to get the most out of my GTX 970's (4K just one step too far for me at the moment) and I have heard a few mixed opinions mainly about the TN panel and then some saying it doesn't look that much better than 1080p.

Again, sorry to ask as I have a feeling I know what the answers might be but just wanted to make sure before I splash out on one of these.

Associate
I posted this in another forum but I have not managed to resolve it.
I have also just bought another gtx 970 (msi) with full size displayport and the problem is still there!
I'm running sli gtx 970's and when using sli I can get no more than 114 fps no matter what graphic settings I use.
When I disable sli I can get higher than 114 fps.
I have ran bf3, bf4 and Heaven benchmark all on low setting but I can not get above 114 fps, it's as though there is a cap.
Before I bought this monitor I had a 1080p 120hz Samsung that ran bf3 at 150ish fps no problem.
My graphic cards have mini Displayport so I had to buy a Displayport to mini Displayport lead. I'm wondering if this is the problem?
If I change the resolution lower than 1400p then the fps shoot up way past 114 fps in sli. It's as though the cap is when using sli at 1400p?
I have tried two different graphic card drivers but it has not helped.
I have also tried disabling Gsync but that also did nothing.
I have tested both gpu's solo and they are both fine.
I hope someone can shed some light on this as I'm totally lost with it.
Thanks in advance.

Associate
Imo 114 fps is sweet for gaming on the rog at least it'll be smooth with no tearing you wouldn't see much difference between 114 and 144 fps I would think

114 fpss on a std 60 hz monitor you'd have to have v sync on and wouldn't be half as smooth

Associate
Imo 114 fps is sweet for gaming on the rog at least it'll be smooth with no tearing you wouldn't see much difference between 114 and 144 fps I would think

114 fpss on a std 60 hz monitor you'd have to have v sync on and wouldn't be half as smooth
I bought the monitor to also make use out of 144hz.
I wish I had kept my 1080p monitor as I ran games at 120fps which felt a lot smoother than this monitor.
The strange thing is if I run things in a window the fps go way past 115fps and if I change down the resolution in game the fps also run way past 115fps.
It's as though 1400p is locked.
I'm annoyed with this as originally I thought it was to do with my gpu's using mini displayport but I went and bought a 3rd gtx 970 with full sized displayport but its still the same.

Associate
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone has got a Swift that doesn't exhibit the inversion artifacts i.e. the very thin vertical lines that sometimes appear in motion, especially pale colours? http://i.imgbox.com/FRbfR7Cz.jpg is an example! I've had two monitors which both exhibited this behaviour, which was really distracting in GW2 and BF4 when it happened (which was a lot) and also really reduced the image quality.

I'm trying to decide whether to give it another go, or to give up an wait for a new model. I liked the 144hz, but I'm wondering whether I'd be better off just getting a 4K monitor or the widescreen AOC when it's available.

Associate
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone has got a Swift that doesn't exhibit the inversion artifacts i.e. the very thin vertical lines that sometimes appear in motion, especially pale colours? http://i.imgbox.com/FRbfR7Cz.jpg is an example! I've had two monitors which both exhibited this behaviour, which was really distracting in GW2 and BF4 when it happened (which was a lot) and also really reduced the image quality.

I'm trying to decide whether to give it another go, or to give up an wait for a new model. I liked the 144hz, but I'm wondering whether I'd be better off just getting a 4K monitor or the widescreen AOC when it's available.

Never had that issue, loving this screen

Associate
When i get home later ill take a look only had it about a month anyway once OCUK got them back in

Thanks mate. Any chance you could try the below (courtesy of ROG forums)?
1. Go on http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/inversion.php#invpattern
2. Click 'Next'
3. Make sure you are positioned on 'Current: 1'
4. Move the horizontal slider of your browser from left to right and notice the vertical lines

The lines tend to be most visible in the taskbar and the scroll bar, but sometimes elsewhere.

Would be really interested to know how it goes for you; this monitor is great, apart from that MAJOR issue for me...

Associate
2. Click 'Next'
4. Move the horizontal slider of your browser from left to right and notice the vertical lines

The lines tend to be most visible in the taskbar and the scroll bar, but sometimes elsewhere.

Would be really interested to know how it goes for you; this monitor is great, apart from that MAJOR issue for me...

date is september 2014

run test and no issues at all :)

Associate
2. Click 'Next'

No lines for me in that test.

Associate
I'm a bit confused by that test, if I scroll up and down with the scrollbar I can see vertical lines, but only when running the test full screen. If I close the browser to a narrow window and scroll up and down or left and right I can't see much wrong.

However the grey pattern does turn green as you run it in a window or not filling most of the screen (maybe a feature of that site to ensure you view it full screen), but when it's green the issue is less noticeable.

Man of Honour
2. Click 'Next'

Mines August 2014 and no issues doing that, I've seen the effect once in BF4 and not since and unable to replicate it so far.

Back
Top Bottom