The Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q – a 27” 1400p 144Hz Monitor with G-SYNC

Associate
9/10 doesn't sound like a massive encouraging statistic given there will be a percentage of those that either put up with some defects or whom cba to return them.

Still if the price falls I'd take the plunge but then I do only live an hour or so from OCUK :)

Soldato
9/10 doesn't sound like a massive encouraging statistic given there will be a percentage of those that either put up with some defects or whom cba to return them.

Still if the price falls I'd take the plunge but then I do only live an hour or so from OCUK :)

Gibbo has indicated the opposite, that people are being extra picky with this particular model (which is fair enough given the price)... for example there have been several complaints of 144hz not playing nice with AMD cards, not technically a fault of the monitor but could be a reason to return it

Associate
Gibbo has indicated the opposite, that people are being extra picky with this particular model (which is fair enough given the price)... for example there have been several complaints of 144hz not playing nice with AMD cards, not technically a fault of the monitor but could be a reason to return it

I do agree mate, if you are pushing the boundaries of latest technologies then you have to expect some teething issues I think.

As I said, I would buy one because it's offering that pinnacle of performance.

Just waiting for Black Friday reductions, such a pain :)

Man of Honour
Is still worth buying one of these?

I've read so many problems about them on forums and people having issues...

I'm thinking of getting one on Thursday...is still worth it?

As long as they all aren't failing after a few weeks then definitely worth it even if you have to return one. Got mine tweaked now as good as its likely to get on a gaming TN and 2560x1440 @120Hz with gsync available is brilliant. Not too fussed about 144Hz myself as long as it keeps working as a 120Hz monitor I couldn't be happier with it. Personally I think they are pushing the monitor/gsync module too far to get 144Hz out of it which means a higher rate of failure in edge cases where any weakness in the panel or module is exposed.

Caporegime
Thanks for all the replies earlier folks. My brand new, unopened Swift is getting picked up tomorrow. After all the nightmare stories and the fact that Acer are making a competing product, I just didn't want to risk it.

Hopefully the competition will be decent, it was saddening to have to send it back :(

Associate
Competitive prices probably won't arrive until at least March... Should just buy the Swift and if it does develop a fault RMA it... The process might suck but if you get a working replacement with no faults then that's all that matters.

Associate
Competitive prices probably won't arrive until at least March... Should just buy the Swift and if it does develop a fault RMA it... The process might suck but if you get a working replacement with no faults then that's all that matters.

That's the problem, beyond 30 days and the responsibility of the retailer, you have to deal with Asus. If you have been reading about the nightmares people are going through to get resolution with them, you might think twice.

Associate
@Gibbo - if I order the monitor alongside other components on Thursday night (after the 18:00 opening of black friday deals). Asus ROG SWIFT has free next day delivery.
It will be dispatched on Friday for sure unless OCUK will work during the night which is unlikely so my question is:

Will I receive the monitor and the components on Saturday or the free next day delivery its only Mon-Fri and it will be delivered on Monday instead of the next day (Saturday).

Sorry for confusion

Caporegime
That's the problem, beyond 30 days and the responsibility of the retailer, you have to deal with Asus. If you have been reading about the nightmares people are going through to get resolution with them, you might think twice.

You never have to deal with Asus at any point during a return throughout the 3 years.

Unless the law has changed, OCUK has absolutely no right to tell you to go direct to Asus, it's within a consumers right to have an E-tailor act as a middle man, as a customer is never expected to deal with a manufacturer.

Associate

I actually have and I've been following the threads on the ROG forum its no surprise that Asus have shocking customer support...

OCUK have actually dealt with the rma for a few people.

Associate
Is it right that colours appear banded near black and/or slightly green/purple? Is this to do with the screen make up?

Examples I've seen easily are the background of the Steam interface (bands of colour) and Flight Simulator X at night (lots of greeny/purple colours near black, banding in clouds etc).

Is that down to the screen, graphics card (Nvidia 980) or something else?

I also see it in video intros in older games when the video fades to black. It can look like it's only 16bit colour.

Last edited:
Associate
background of the Steam interface (bands of colour)

I've seen that on my laptop as well (1080p 17" inch LCD monitor) so I don't think its your monitor. It might be steam or the driver..or who knows..we might both have weird monitors..

It goes for like 1-2 seconds and they move down? gray black colours like thick lines ?

Associate
Greetings, I am now back and as fickle as I may sound it isn't my fault...

I am now on my 3rd Asus Rog (Production Date November (EB)). Let me just say that once you have used an Swift and treated to all its glory, there is nothing that can replicate its fluidity (yet) and it is down to its specifications (120Hz+, GSync, 27" - The trifecta of a gaming monitor) + it looks amazing.

I have been back to 27" IPS, 24" TN's and Even tried 4K. Nothing comes close to it. It has been a roller coaster of 4 weeks and I have been severely dissapointed everytime (the closest I could get was a BenQ XL2420Z and that was not a close 2nd at all!).

I have found that the vertial lines in this one (whilest still apparent) was not as servere as the 2nd one (E9 Batch) (E8 Batch was my first and I can't remember thinking anything at the time but how bad i felt when it broke). I have also come to learn that even other TN panels (whilst not having vertical lines, have more of a waffle pattern) have artifacts.

All I need now is for the monitor to stay working and hoping that because it is the latest batch they have added more measures / fixed issues... Suffice to say I will be sticking with the Swift, I have no choice. Thanks Asus!

*Edit* I would like to add that the pixel inversion or vertial lines when moving side ways is significantly less with my EB (Current) than with by E9 monitor and probibly was like my E8 was (since I never noticed it then)
Perhaps all just luck but there you go.

Last edited:
Associate
considering taking the plunge into the unknown rog swift saga lol

Got another GTX780ti coming saturday so considering heavily getting this monitor as i have had my dell 1920x1200 24in a few years now.

Anything i should be wary of with this monitor apart from all the issues listed above lol

Back
Top Bottom