The Battlefield 4 Thread ~ Server details in opening post ~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Underboss
I don't understand monitors tbh so the last 2 pages read like blahblah OLED blahblah TN vs IPS blahblah.

I have a 120Hz BenQ that is ace, don't see my changing that anytime soon. Although a 27" Gsync thingymabob would be nice if I get some extra monies.

Associate
Anybody going to be on for a game tonight? Works knackered me the last couple of days so haven't been on.

I really need to buy a decent monitor, need to upgrade my graphics card first though. Currently play at 1366 x 768 :(

Soldato
I don't understand monitors tbh so the last 2 pages read like blahblah OLED blahblah TN vs IPS blahblah.

I have a 120Hz BenQ that is ace, don't see my changing that any time soon. Although a 27" Gsync thingymabob would be nice if I get some extra monies.

@Josh Yeah the disscusion was between ppl who actually have money :D
I've got 24" 1080p BenQ 144Hz 1ms too and I'm happy. (would consider 3 monitors but its £250 a pop.)

@Jonny L look at some of the sales around the site, occasionally you get a good deal on some monitors. If you have weak graphics card I wouldn't go beyond 1080p, if planning to upgrade gpu save up and get 4k. (not IPS they are bloody expensive)

@manju DICE does nothing, the "patches" they roll out ruin the game for more ppl then they fix,

I have 16gb of ram devils cayon i5 and 295x2 and got huge CPU spikes for no reason at all, all of the sudden for like 5-10 seconds my fps goes from 180 to 1-10... Tried load of stuff, nothing worked for me so I can just go.. myself..

@Westie richer sounds got some decent deal indeed, I would get 65" 4k but its "only" £2.3k for the non-curved one.

@nex have you seen prices on the OLED tv's ? :DDD mate its insane.
The 55 OLED is almost £4k

LG also released new OLED tvs ranging from 55 to 77 inch.

Underboss
@Josh Yeah the disscusion was between ppl who actually have money :D
I've got 24" 1080p BenQ 144Hz 1ms too and I'm happy. (would consider 3 monitors but its £250 a pop.)

l[/spoiler]

I have plenty of money thanks bud, just not willing to spend it on monitors so that black looks blacker.

Soldato
Anybody going to be on for a game tonight? Works knackered me the last couple of days so haven't been on.

I really need to buy a decent monitor, need to upgrade my graphics card first though. Currently play at 1366 x 768 :(

I'll be on. I need to make amends for my shockingly poor performance last night. :(

Caporegime
Smrtka, your spiking is likely down to your i5 cpu. Bf4 with sli/xfire really benefits' from the extra threads of an i7. Saw the same with a 3570k and sli 670's. Switched to a 3770k and things were much better. Though if I were you id use mantle instead of direct x. Might help a bit.

Soldato
I have plenty of money thanks bud, just not willing to spend it on monitors so that black looks blacker.

@Josh More meant as for ppl who are in the market for new monitor kind of money not general how much money you have on your account :p but good for you that you have plenty. :D

@setter I would understand lower performance, or spikes on some king of regular basis, but this can spike in 5 minutes 2 times and that not happen for 3 hours and so on.... I monitored the temps and load of cpu while the spikes happend and it seems normal....and doesn't happen in any other game like witcher etc. I use mantle on BF4

@Hazard yesterday it was quite poor, we lacked some organisation and were running around the map like crazy. I admit :D

@kiwi maybe a bit too harsh I admit, I am actually not complaining as it my seems that I do, no its a general observation of how dice was dealing with problems in BF3 as well, but once I play the game for long enough I get used to glitches and bugs as the maps are vast with plenty of details and nice scenarios and I'n bot expecting it to be perfect. So again it's not a hate kind of think I will play the game even if they ruin it with unbalanced weapons (as was issue in BF3 like m416/m16a3) cos its fun, and if you have skillz you can always win the gunfight with not so shiny weapon (also reason why I'm trying to master as much weapons as possible to get a nice feel for them.)

Soldato
Fair enough - I think we're just seeing the difference between how DICE Sweden and DICE LA operate. The DICE LA guys are a lot better! Maybe they could create BF5 lol.

Caporegime
@nex have you seen prices on the OLED tv's ? :DDD mate its insane.
The 55 OLED is almost £4k

LG also released new OLED tvs ranging from 55 to 77 inch.

Cheap as chips! :p

There is no way I would spend £4k on a TV, my budget would be £2k max

OLED will come down in price big time after a few months, guaranteed! LG's second gen OLED was about £4k but it dropped massively to £2k at the famous indian curry store :p And this is with no other OLED competition!!!

I am waiting for the following:

- OLED (that doesn't have motion, uniformity and tint issues)
- no more than £2k
- 50"
- flat

Monitor wise, I wouldn't want to spend more than £650.

Having good blacks/contrast ratio impacts a lot of areas though ;)

- makes other colours etc. "pop" out more
- you see more detail etc. in darker areas i.e. spotting infantry in the dark areas of zavod/lockers etc. will be MUCH easier than on a TN, IPS display
- sharper image

Samsung is 3ms i think nexus and i wont be using it for FPS games.. RPG's MMO etc ill be using it for... but still gonna wait for reviews am not in any rush..

if they dont impress im just gonna sell my 950D and TV and buy that new Acer gsync 144hz IPS if its anygood and probably get a 60+" 4k curve TV for my PS4, some decent offers at richersounds atm!

but defo a good year for monitors!

Take the spec. sheet with a pinch of salt, they usually lie about response time, contrast ratio etc.

The philips 40" VA panel is stated as 3ms but in reality it is about 7ms (lowest is 2.3 ms and max is 18.1)

Some monitors now have response time settings in the OSD, however, if it is set too high, you get inverse ghosting then i.e. like with mine (although only appears in certain areas) so I stick with medium preset, which is about 7-8ms iirc.

And yup that is where having good blacks/contrast ratio and the 21.9 AR/3440x1440 @34" will really shine! RPG/mmo's will look awesome!

We should start seeing reviews pretty soon....

Just a shame that it doesn't have any sync feature though.

Yup, def. best year for monitors in a LONG time! :cool:

Associate
I'll be on. I need to make amends for my shockingly poor performance last night. :(

Cool, lets see if we can hunt down Miriam and restore some male pride.

Cheers Smrtka, got a little upgrade path planned, psu, gpu, then cpu/mobo and finally new ram ha. Trying to put some money in the savings at the same time so may well take a while. Not too fussed on eye candy though as long as I can play the games I like.

Soldato
@Hazard yesterday it was quite poor, we lacked some organisation and were running around the map like crazy. I admit :D

As a team we didn't do well, but I was also in special king edward mode. Got worse after you left. Even went 11:22 on Lockers, and after metro it's one of my easy kill stomping grounds. It might be the change to FOV that's getting to me or just I'd had one too many drinks and was tired. :(

Cool, lets see if we can hunt down Miriam and restore some male pride.

LOL special stabby stabby delivery for Miriam :D

Caporegime
Nex..

I've had screens with real deep blacks before, but I always had a massive problem spotting anything in those darker areas. I found it better to have a screen where the dark areas werent so dark, hate having no details in shadows.

Were those screens properly calibrated?

If not, then that might be why or if it was calibrated and the game isn't properly designed with regards to its own calibration etc. then that might also be why (some games have bad banding even with calibrated IPS monitors)

Can't find any decent TV OLED VS LCD images in dark areas atm but this here gives you a decent idea, the best LCD mobile screen on the market against the second best mobile OLED screen (1st being the note 4!)

QCCFlLu.jpg

Dual monitor setup is where it's at then; 1 for FPS gaming, 1 for everything else.

I did have a dual setup but since moving to an ultrawide monitor, I didn't really use my second monitor for anything else except TS and hardware monitoring stuff :p

EDIT:

Found a decent video comparing TV's for dark areas etc. Although both are plasma's, the one on the right is newer so it has better blacks/contrast ratio than the one on the left:

Last edited:
Underboss
@josh More meant as for ppl who are in the market for new monitor kind of money not general how much money you have on your account :p but good for you that you have plenty. :D

@setter I would understand lower performance, or spikes on some king of regular basis, but this can spike in 5 minutes 2 times and that not happen for 3 hours and so on.... I monitored the temps and load of cpu while the spikes happend and it seems normal....and doesn't happen in any other game like witcher etc. I use mantle on BF4

@kiwi maybe a bit too harsh I admit, I am actually not complaining as it my seems that I do, no its a general observation of how dice was dealing with problems in BF3 as well, but once I play the game for long enough I get used to glitches and bugs as the maps are vast with plenty of details and nice scenarios and I'n bot expecting it to be perfect. So again it's not a hate kind of think I will play the game even if they ruin it with unbalanced weapons (as was issue in BF3 like m416/m16a3) cos its fun, and if you have skillz you can always win the gunfight with not so shiny weapon (also reason why I'm trying to master as much weapons as possible to get a nice feel for them.)

Click the mutli button dude, saves you having at @ everyone lol

Cheap as chips! :p

There is no way I would spend £4k on a TV, my budget would be £2k max

OLED will come down in price big time after a few months, guaranteed! LG's second gen OLED was about £4k but it dropped massively to £2k at the famous indian curry store :p And this is with no other OLED competition!!!

I am waiting for the following:

- OLED (that doesn't have motion, uniformity and tint issues)
- no more than £2k
- 50"
- flat

Monitor wise, I wouldn't want to spend more than £650.

Having good blacks/contrast ratio impacts a lot of areas though ;)

- makes other colours etc. "pop" out more
- you see more detail etc. in darker areas i.e. spotting infantry in the dark areas of zavod/lockers etc. will be MUCH easier than on a TN, IPS display
- sharper image

Take the spec. sheet with a pinch of salt, they usually lie about response time, contrast ratio etc.

The philips 40" VA panel is stated as 3ms but in reality it is about 7ms (lowest is 2.3 ms and max is 18.1)

Some monitors now have response time settings in the OSD, however, if it is set too high, you get inverse ghosting then i.e. like with mine (although only appears in certain areas) so I stick with medium preset, which is about 7-8ms iirc.

And yup that is where having good blacks/contrast ratio and the 21.9 AR/3440x1440 @34" will really shine! RPG/mmo's will look awesome!

We should start seeing reviews pretty soon....

Just a shame that it doesn't have any sync feature though.

Yup, def. best year for monitors in a LONG time! :cool:
Were those screens properly calibrated?

If not, then that might be why or if it was calibrated and the game isn't properly designed with regards to its own calibration etc. then that might also be why (some games have bad banding even with calibrated IPS monitors)

Can't find any decent TV OLED VS LCD images in dark areas atm but this here gives you a decent idea, the best LCD mobile screen on the market against the second best mobile OLED screen (1st being the note 4!)

QCCFlLu.jpg

I did have a dual setup but since moving to an ultrawide monitor, I didn't really use my second monitor for anything else except TS and hardware monitoring stuff :p

EDIT:

Found a decent video comparing TV's for dark areas etc. Although both are plasma's, the one on the right is newer so it has better blacks/contrast ratio than the one on the left:

Yup more blahblahblahblah ips oled blahblahblahblah :D

Might not be on tonight, need to sort the kids out for bed etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom