• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The better late than never OcUK RTX4070 Super review thread!

Soldato
3080 ti performance, big whoops. It's 15% faster than a 4070 at same msrp, not exciting at all.
What did you expect? Any faster and it would be in RTX 4070 TI territory. And Nvidia still wants £750-£800 for the TIs :cry:

Techpowerup suggests that it is only 7% slower than the TI.

Last edited:
Associate
You may want to use the right average frame rate charts not the ones that are minimums average at 1080p of all resolutions.
Well, yes and no?

Average frame charts tend to be far less useful, IMO, than min frame charts. But certain breaking the charts into resolutions and not just 1080P is a fair comment!
In the Individual Benchmark Scores sub-section, it is actually amazing that there isn't really anything where this 12GB card falls obviously behind at 4K vs the 3090.
CB's benches are similar:

Still, there is no way I would spend £600+ for a 12GB card in 2024 anyhow.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, yes and no?

Average frame charts tend to be far less useful, IMO, than min frame charts. But certain breaking the charts into resolutions and not just 1080P is a fair comment!
In the Individual Benchmark Scores sub-section, it is actually amazing that there isn't really anything where this 12GB card falls obviously behind at 4K vs the 3090.
CB's benches are similar:

Still, there is no way I would spend £600+ for a 12GB card in 2024 anyhow.

1080p min average was deliberately making other cards look worse than they really are. Ampere doesn't like lower resolutions and only stretches its legs at 1440p + resolutions. Agree min averages mater but the original post didn't tell the full story and also revelative performance matters when comparing cards to buy, which was missing and was misleading.

Original post :-
One comparison that hasn't been made for some reason, is that the RTX 4070 Super seems to be about on par with the RTX 3080 TI and RTX 3090. But with less VRAM than the RTX 3090, so you're getting a GPU that's cheaper than the RTX 3080 TI and about as fast.

minimum-fps-1920_1080.png

My reply with full details and not a misleading statement. :-

You may want to use the right average frame rate charts not the ones that are minimums average at 1080p of all resolutions.

mVm4B0G.png

tTBZE6E.png

AvcWIBQ.png

Also the relative performance..

V9VpM4u.png

gRy9JEB.png

qvZ4Tkr.png

Also he didn't even add the min average for other resolutions just the one most affected. As you can see here the other resolutions. :-

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yeah, because one random youtube video said so. Pretty sure all the big tech pages and channels would have picked up on this long ago were it the case. Fact is, nvidia have always been miserly with vram.

Random? Not sure I would call Daniel Owen some randomer :cry: Also, techpowerup and computerbase have shown and noted this before too, DO is the first one to actually look into it properly.

Caporegime
Random? Not sure I would call Daniel Owen some randomer :cry: Also, techpowerup and computerbase have shown and noted this before too, DO is the first one to actually look into it properly.

Compared to other pages his is rather small, he's at 172k subs vs other pages in the million plus range. Secondly, wasn't there some waffle before about nvidia using less ram because of texture compression whereas amd weren't using any which would naturally make for a sharper image?

As for vram amounts, nvidia have always been stingy in that regard.

Associate
Yeah, because one random youtube video said so. Pretty sure all the big tech pages and channels would have picked up on this long ago were it the case. Fact is, nvidia have always been miserly with vram.
Miserly and stingy is almost putting it politely.

Planned obsolescence and higher margins from a lower BOM are the real reasons.

Caporegime
Compared to other pages his is rather small, he's at 172k subs vs other pages in the million plus range. Secondly, wasn't there some waffle before about nvidia using less ram because of texture compression whereas amd weren't using any which would naturally make for a sharper image?

As for vram amounts, nvidia have always been stingy in that regard

Sub counts is quite pointless metric.... His videos are much better in terms of in depth analytical testing than the channels with millions of subs.

The texture decompression was talked about but turns out it wasn't actually a thing for Turing and ampere and iirc there was some other lowering of iq through the pipeline rendering but there is no actual proof of this from anyone reputable other than the usual "trust me bro" posts we have had.

I don't disagree Nvidia are stingy with vram in 2024 now though.

Associate
I paid £600 for my 6950XT, seems similar performance for similar money.
If your deal was similar to the one I got 12-14 months ago you would have had a number of free games thrown in though? Bringing the "real" cost down (or at least adding value). I not aware of the 4070s being bundled with anything presently.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Sub counts is quite pointless metric.... His videos are much better in terms of in depth analytical testing than the channels with millions of subs.

It's not a pointless metric at all, if people have millions of subs on tech channels then it shows that people like what they do and thats where they go for their information, reviews etc. On launch day for gpus years ago before youtube reviews became the standard some sites would be virtually inaccessible because of the amount of traffic going their way, which you could draw a parallel to with sub count, a lot of eyes on their stuff.

He might go a bit more indepth but not everyone is interested in that, most people want to know how fast how much and when they can get it. If anything written articles sometimes do a better job of the indepth stuff than people get across in vids.

Last edited:
Associate
Am running 6800xt - am I tempted by the 4070 Super - in a word NO.

But if I were simply buying new rather than upgrading MAYBE but would wait to see what happens over the next few days when all the new releases are out and markets have had chance to settle.

Soldato
If your deal was similar to the one I got 12-14 months ago you would have had a number of free games thrown in though? Bringing the "real" cost down (or at least adding value). I not aware of the 4070s being bundled with anything presently.
Agreed, I was just highlighting that the performance per £ hasn't really changed. Throw in a bit of inflation and we're pretty much static. GPUs are the bottleneck in the PC ecosystem right now. You can build something half decent without a mortgage until you get to the GPU, they're disproportionately expensive.

Back
Top Bottom