The Big WWE Wrestling Thread

Soldato
Cody had lost all sense of perspective. Shame he's gone because I genuinely enjoyed his matches but his ridiculous "I'm not a heel, I won't turn" thing was cringeworthy to watch.

Soldato
I can see Cody coming back to the WWE and them running him as a looooong term mega heel. I am thinking along the lines of Rick Flair holding a title belt back in the early 90s long.

I am REALLY looking forward to the AJ Styles vs Edge match at WM and would love to see Cody vs AJ Styles at some point.

Associate
I'm sure many were thinking it'd be Cody that would accept Edge's challenge, but I just kept thinking, its going to be AJ (I was 51-49 split between the 2). I'm sure Edge/AJ, both mentioned the other as someone they both wanted to wrestle in seperate interviews within the last month. If not now, then when? They are both almost, if not over 45. The build for it should be very good.

As much as I was hating the idea of Austin vs Owen, I'm liking the slow build. I do wonder who Seth is going to wrestle, if they go with Austin/Owen.

And Cody, I'm hearing rumours that WWE might hold off on him till the Raw after Mania.

Soldato
Well looks like AJ vs Edge will happen considering what transpired on Raw this week. A matchup i am really looking forward to seeing. As much as i like Edge i really hope AJ gets the win at WM, as much as a draw that Edge is AJ really puts in the work and always has done, for a relatively part timer to beat one of the best and hardest workers in the business would be a travesty. That said we have seen how much that does happen in the WWE so i would not be surprised.

Associate
Revolution was pretty good, but the parts of it that I liked the most were WWE-like parts, i.e. the Mox/Bryan, Jericho/Kingston and Adam/Adam. They were less of the 'who do I jump on next' type of match, and had some actual story telling. Seeing Regal was a surprise, but I do wonder with ROH now being owned by Tony, if he might unleash Regal onto ROH, with Mox/Bryan appearing occasionally to show the young upcoming talent their type of 'violence’.

Soldato
Revolution was pretty good, but the parts of it that I liked the most were WWE-like parts, i.e. the Mox/Bryan, Jericho/Kingston and Adam/Adam
None of those were anything like wwe style. Did you see a ******* headlock?!

Jericho/Kingston was 90s Japan style, Mox/Danielson was a bloody brawl where they beat the **** out of each other, and the main event was a modern workrate match.

As for the "actual storytelling" bit.... Did you not see the Punk match? And frankly, the Bucks match had the most blatent 'story' elements of the whole night. The only story-free match was the Tornado Tag, which was just a cocaine banger

Associate
None of those were anything like wwe style. Did you see a ******* headlock?!

Jericho/Kingston was 90s Japan style, Mox/Danielson was a bloody brawl where they beat the **** out of each other, and the main event was a modern workrate match.

As for the "actual storytelling" bit.... Did you not see the Punk match? And frankly, the Bucks match had the most blatent 'story' elements of the whole night. The only story-free match was the Tornado Tag, which was just a cocaine banger

Adams match was very NXT like, so its still WWE like. It was less flippy than AEW matches usually are, even though both Adams can tell a story (and flip about), and can actually wrestle. One of them did wrestle at NXT for a very while.

Mox/Bryan (both spend most of their careers in WWE) reminded me of Walter/Iliya (also NXT, this time NXT UK), but just with blood, and not anywhere as good (not many matches will compare to Walter/Iliya, as both their matches were clearly match of the year).

Bucks can tell a story, but never consistently. I disscount any Bucks match, since their just isn't any rule enforcement by the refs at all. The most blatant is often in tag matches. If you eat sugar all the time, its nothing special when you have it one more time. Thats the way I look at Bucks matches. None of that comapres to the ref just a couple of weeks ago litterally having to stop a 3 count, as the champ couldn't kick out (that was That Botch Show Jade Cargill - although I really like her, but she is hyper green and needs to wrestle on the indies or house shows that AEW doesn't do, to build experience). The same happened a couple of weeks ago in WWE, but Randy Orton acutally got pinned in a match he was supposed to win (he got nocked out by a frog slash from the ropes, where a knee landed on his face). I just cannot accept in AEW tag match untill they do something about the refereeing. I never thought I would actually appreacaite WWE refereeing until AEW came along. Aubrey (the pretty ref from AEW) kept saying she was goping to put a rule book together in AEW, but then suddenly stopped talking about it. I'm sure she got a lot of blowback from those that prefer no rules. The quality of any ref decissions should be a major poart of the rating given to a match, and AEW mostly fails. Its not like WWE don't have some qestionalble refereeing, but its never so often or so blatant.

Soldato
Adams match was very NXT like, so its still WWE like. It was less flippy than AEW matches usually are, even though both Adams can tell a story (and flip about), and can actually wrestle. One of them did wrestle at NXT for a very while.
Bro, if you like Black and Gold nxt style, then why the **** do you watch wwe? They've killed the old nxt exactly because it was supposed to be 'developmental' but they wrestled a PWG/workrate style completely at odds with how WWE-proper (main roster) actually wants its wrestling.

Both Bryan and Mox at least as much of their careers outside of WWE than in it, and neither is wrestling how they did in the E. Bryan was the best wrestler in North America long before he signed properly for wwe .

Bucks can tell a story, but never consistently. I disscount any Bucks match, since their just isn't any rule enforcement by the refs at all.
You're welcome to enjoy rules, but I'd rather see awesome wrestling unencumbered by silly officiousness resulting in an average of nearly 1 DQ finish on every episode of Raw and SD in 2021 (for comparison, AEW just had its first ever televised DQ finish earlier this year). Dunno how, as a viewer, you can invest in matches when there's a 1 in 5 chance it'll end in a DQ. Heck, sometimes, incredibly, people get DQd for kicking too much ass :D

Soldato
was really hoping Tay would win the belt, she's cracking in the ring and just a total hottie.

saw a rumour/theory the other day - maybe Cody steped down not to go to WWE, but to run ROH no that Tony K has bought it. There could be some real mileage in that, maybe start running a WWE/WCW type angle.

Soldato
was really hoping Tay would win the belt, she's cracking in the ring and just a total hottie.

saw a rumour/theory the other day - maybe Cody steped down not to go to WWE, but to run ROH no that Tony K has bought it. There could be some real mileage in that, maybe start running a WWE/WCW type angle.
I think Cody has genuinely left, with no 'worked' angle or anything involved. But that doesn't mean I rule out the possibility he could come back: and ROH is possible in that regard. Although Tony Khan apparently has said that he intends to be booker on ROH, so perhaps that makes Cody less likely.

Cody was absolutely instrumental in AEW ever existing. He laid the groundwork. But at this point, it feels like he and AEW have kind of outgrown each other. He'll be a huge asset in WWE if he does go there: he's a phenomenal "sports entertainer". Hope they don't ruin him with their usual nonsense.

And Tay is both lovely and an awesome wrestler. Quite the anti-performance centre advert, when you consider how much she's improved since leaving nxt. Never thought she'd beat Jade though: I reckon Jade has another 6 months with that belt

Soldato
I've just finished watching AEW Revolution. Took me 3 days to get through it and that's without the pre show. I can't say I'm a fan of 4 hour shows unless there's some natural break in there somewhere, not sure how you'ddo that though. Overall though I thought it was much better than there last PPV. The only real exceptions were the ladder match and the trio's match. Clearly an attempt to put talent on the show.

Jericho looked the best he has in quite a while which is a surprise considering he's been so out of touch for nearly 2 years. Pointless wasting your biggest and most legitimate looking big men in a ladder match. The matches themselves have become so contrived now anyway and they happen far too often. At least the right man won and Keith Lee can now go after Team Taz.

The ladies matches were decent enough. Thunder Rosa is amazing. Love watching her. I hope they continue her with Britt Baker. Clearly the two best women they've got next to Deeb and Shida.

I actually enjoyed the Young Bucks match despite the complete ignorance of tag team rules. Having 3 teams actually worked and gave the match a completely different aspect to it. They limited luchasaurus's time in the ring too which helped. The sooner they get the Briscoes in the better though.

CM Punk, MJF, Bryan Danielson and Moxley were easily the best two matches on the card. Absolutely brilliant storytelling and in ring action. Absolutely fantastic finishes in both and exactly what I love about professional wrestling. More please. Much much more.

The main event struggled to follow the rest of the card. I can't say I'm a huge fan of either Cole or Page. They're both being dragged down by too much nonsense around them to take either of them seriously. They also don't look like much either. Especially Cole. I think the crowd were worn out by this match too, I'm guessing that played into the ridiculous number of near falls they had. Liger bomb, 2 deadeyes, 3 Panama sunrises (one on the floor ffs), toombstone piledriver, that top rope Spanish fly thing, the superkick from a moonsault (which was insanely good btw)... all a 2 count. Really? Too much and JR **** all over this too.

That said, I thought it was a really good show. Looking forward to where they go next. Hopefully someone like Gabe Sapolsky is brought in to help with the booking, ROH is used as developing the many rookies they have and Regal acts as a much needed authority figure on TV.

Associate
Bro, if you like Black and Gold nxt style, then why the **** do you watch wwe? They've killed the old nxt exactly because it was supposed to be 'developmental' but they wrestled a PWG/workrate style completely at odds with how WWE-proper (main roster) actually wants its wrestling.

I always saw NXT as a half-way house between main-roster style and indie style. They had rules and somehwat more story-telling then indies, but still had more action and flippy-floppy matches. I'll admit that was my fave, but NXT 2.0 had to be done. Currently, I prefer NXT UK.

There was an article that Rumble of 2021, 26 or so of the male wrestlers were almost 40 or older (I beleive the article was quoting a WWE insider). I think, that and WWE losing Wednesday night wars was what led them to make NXT developmental again. If they signed tallent that were about 26 or older from indies, then spent about 4 years in NXT and another spent 4 years on main-roster getting over, thats a huge chunk of their careers wasted, so I think 2.0 was more about getting younger tallent into their system (hence their NIL college athletes program). I think the fact that 2.0 is more like main-roster than NXT was just a symptoms of WWE wanting to sign younger tallent, so they can make it to main-roster while still under 30. I'm sure Vince doesn't hate that 2.0 is more like main-roster, but I don't think that was his intent. They are still signing loads of indie wrestlers, but they are younger than before, and so you might not even know about them. If you look at everything they have done since Nick Khan came in (i.e. releasing of unused tallent), it makers a lot of business sense.

Associate
You're welcome to enjoy rules, but I'd rather see awesome wrestling unencumbered by silly officiousness resulting in an average of nearly 1 DQ finish on every episode of Raw and SD in 2021 (for comparison, AEW just had its first ever televised DQ finish earlier this year). Dunno how, as a viewer, you can invest in matches when there's a 1 in 5 chance it'll end in a DQ. Heck, sometimes, incredibly, people get DQd for kicking too much ass :D

I actually enjoyed the Young Bucks match despite the complete ignorance of tag team rules. Having 3 teams actually worked and gave the match a completely different aspect to it. They limited luchasaurus's time in the ring too which helped. The sooner they get the Briscoes in the better though.

I don't mind not following rules in matches that allow for it, like multi-man matches or cage/ladder matches (the Bucks/Lucha Bros cage match from last year was amazing, this PPV Bucks match was fine). What I hate is, AEW rules are pretty much the same as WWE, but they never follow them. The Bucks are still EVPs and if they dislike or are hindered by the rules so much, why don't they just change them. Give them 10 mins of double team after a tag instead of 10 seconds (maybe not 10 mins, but make it longer than 10 secs, which is already more than WWE's 5 secs). I only remebered they have 10 and not 5, when a commentator mentioned it recently, since they never follow that rule either and I had forgotten they had it.

Soldato
I don't mind not following rules in matches that allow for it, like multi-man matches or cage/ladder matches (the Bucks/Lucha Bros cage match from last year was amazing, this PPV Bucks match was fine). What I hate is, AEW rules are pretty much the same as WWE, but they never follow them. The Bucks are still EVPs and if they dislike or are hindered by the rules so much, why don't they just change them. Give them 10 mins of double team after a tag instead of 10 seconds (maybe not 10 mins, but make it longer than 10 secs, which is already more than WWE's 5 secs). I only remebered they have 10 and not 5, when a commentator mentioned it recently, since they never follow that rule either and I had forgotten they had it.

It's not just the Young Bucks matches though, it's just more prevalent in their matches as they always seem to have that god awful Rick Knox as the referee. I don't watch WWE, and haven't done for about 10-15 years now si can't comment, but the same thing happens in the vast majority of the matches.

The referee should be used to work the crowd and allow for cheating to be more obvious. It then allows for things like rematches and gives reasoning for matches with stipulations. It's doing more harm than good at the minute I think. I not saying that every match should end in a countout, no contest or DQ. We certainly don't watch to go back to the days of Vince Russo, but when you're setting up something for a PPV then it's absolutely justified, especially on free TV.

Soldato
Just watched the two matches from Revolution I had to skip on Monday (hate Sunday PPVs!): the ladder match and Jade's match.

Gotta say, Jade is ******* amazing. It's pretty much bang on one year since her first ever match, and her fight with Tay, whilst not a match of the year candidate, was really good and not out of place on the PPV. She's got real charisma, and looks like a real life superhero. And the dissenting voices among the Internet Wrestling Community are getting fewer and fewer. Clearly a superstar in the making.

Back
Top Bottom