The burning question, would a hybrid be better for me?

Underboss
OP
It's not theoretical the ct200h does 55mpg in the real world.

The prius theoretical is like 83mpg and its based on the same car. And prius owners report getting 65mpg and higher.

Please do your research before making false claims.

Question,

If the Prius is making 65 MPG, surely the Lexus CT and the Auris Hybrids are lighter, they would get higher MPG?

Soldato
Not looking for more power, it's more to do with trying to expand the lean burn window, so it's easier to keep her in said window, maximising MPG.

It's just part of a selection of geekery mods to try and get her up to temperature quicker (rad block) and eek out maximum efficiency.

Caporegime
Question,

If the Prius is making 65 MPG, surely the Lexus CT and the Auris Hybrids are lighter, they would get higher MPG?

Are they lighter?

The lexus has bigger wheels / alloys i think mine has 18's or 19's. that has a big impact on efficiency as will the dual zone climate control, etc. i run my ac on all year round and set temperature and leave it on auto. the lexus has a lot of gadgets which use power. the prius is more energy orientated

Soldato
But doesn't the same apply in both cases?

Cooler intake air=better volumetric efficiency etc=more power and/or more fuel economy (Depending on whether you actually chose to use the extra power or not)

No cos of anything you want less power so you can open the throttle more and reduce pumping losses, the warmer air also improves fuel atomisation to utilise all the fuel.

Soldato
No cos of anything you want less power so you can open the throttle more and reduce pumping losses, the warmer air also improves fuel atomisation to utilise all the fuel.

I can see the argument.

I have seen a similar case Re Pumping loss reduction argued for EGR improving SFC on petrol engines. But somehow the argument for the supposed benefits that might be derived from making an engine breath its own farts has never really convinced me. :p

(Especially since there is a massive difference between how a brand new engine might theoretically perform on a test bed and how a real world engine with 80,000 miles on might perform once the entire intake system has become totally clagged up with oily and sooty crud. (See also GDI. Something that most BMW MINI owners will come to rue sooner or later too, though for different reasons!))

Soldato
Keep in mind they're the old lab based figures that companies like VW were gaming. The 80mpg only applies to the low spec car on 15" wheels. The wider 17"s on an Excel drop it by nearly 10mpg...

Soldato
...only repeats what's been said in threads here - https://motorway.co.uk/guides/should-i-buy-or-sell-a-hybrid-car

Plug-in hybrids score a little better, but not much. Taking the same Hyundai Ioniq as a benchmark, a new PHEV version costs £29,895. A used, year-old model with 25,000 miles under its belt is just £18,500, or 47% less than new.

Whether you purchased or financed your hybrid and how, determines whether now is the right time to sell.

Above all, you can see that hybrids depreciate as fast as any regular car, some brands fair slightly better, but on the whole, they plummet so it’s probably worth hanging on to you hybrid for as long as possible.

Remember that on average it takes five years or more to recoup the initial outlay in fuel savings for regular buyers

there has to be a lot of prius drivers about to offload in london area with the onset of the congestion charge changes next year £11.5per/day

Soldato
You use regen as a form of slowing you down - whether that be actually slowing down, or accelerating slower than if you weren't using regen, or maintaining a constant speed downhill. If you weren't using regen, you'd be going faster.
Just showing how beneficial regen braking is, when I sold my first Prius it was 10 years old with 75,000 on the clock and it still had the original brake pads!

Soldato
there has to be a lot of prius drivers about to offload in london area with the onset of the congestion charge changes next year £11.5per/day

I know Toyota have increased the Prius CO2 levels for 2018 onward but what about earlier models?, mine is 2016 on 15" wheels rated at 70g/km and stated a such on the V5C.

I've just checked my reg and got:
Low Emission Zone (LEZ) standards do not apply to this vehicle
The tougher LEZ standards do not affect you.

No ULEZ charge due for this vehicle
This vehicle meets the emission standards for ULEZ so you don't have to pay this charge when driving within the zone.

so my car will remain exempt in the ultra low zone as will 2017 models, it's value will now treble :p

Last edited:
Soldato
I meant this, albeit 20months out - https://www.drive-electric.co.uk/congestion-charge-ultra-low-emission-discount-update/

Highlights:
  • From 8th April 2019 the Ultra Low Emission Discount (ULED) will be replaced by the Cleaner Vehicle Discount (CVD)
  • Electric Vehicle (EV) drivers will still qualify for the 100% Congestion Charge discount (you will be required to pay an annual registration fee of £10 to register each vehicle for the discount)
  • Plug-in Hybrid (PHEV) drivers will qualify for the 100% Congestion Charge discount until 25th October 2021 (£10 annual registration fee also applies)
Phase one

Starts from 8 April 2019 and runs until 24 October 2021
  • To be eligible for the CVD the vehicle must meet the Euro 6 emission standard and emit no more than 75g/km CO2 and have a minimum 20 mile zero emission capable range
Phase two
  • Starts from 25 October 2021 and runs until 24 December 2025
  • Only pure electric vehicles will be eligible for the CVD. All other vehicles, regardless of their emissions status, will be required to pay the Congestion Charge
Phase three
  • From 25 December 2025, the CVD will expire for all vehicle types

49473687266_0891b6145e_c_d.jpg

Back
Top Bottom