*** The Car Cleaning Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're on a budget, the I4Detailing Silverline polisher and Mezerna kit is well worth a look.

The polisher itself isn't the best out there, but it's £40 so you can't expect too much.

However, it's done me well since I got mine.

Thanks I was looking at that but thought 'surely that's too cheap?'

Have you had much success removing swirls/scratches?

Thanks guys :)

Rexehuk - No masking at all, if polish got onto any plastic parts I just wiped it off quickly and if it got in the seals, just opened the door/bonnet/boot etc and wiped it up there. It was done by hand however so have a lot more control than a machine, with a machine I'd probably mask just in case, but never used one so cant really comment.

Never used anything other than Poorboys black hole (not through loyalty, it's just the first bottle of polish I've ever bought and still using the same bottle) so nothing to compare it to really. What I will say however is that it is extremely easy to use (or at least seems it) and gives great results in my eyes. Have used it twice on this car and once on a mates that's a dark grey, every time its came up brilliantly. Combined with the wax, swirling has become not noticeable (was quite noticeable beforehand)

Where abouts in London are you? If you're local I'd be happy to lend a hand some time :)

One more quick one to show how the boot came up (ignore the exhaust, that's still in need of a proper clean)

7931783488_3483a7477b_c.jpg

Can see a close up of the roof here

Last edited:
Thanks I was looking at that but thought 'surely that's too cheap?'

Have you had much success removing swirls/scratches?

The Silverline is a good polisher as far as i can see. It does everything perfectly - not sure what more i could ask for. Just make sure you get a decent backing plate for it ie. one of the ones for about £15-£20 rather than £3. It will make a world of difference.

I'm very glad i got a machine polisher, and i managed to remove a good amount of swirls from my car, with very hard paint. I'm not confident enough to go for a wool pad which will ensure complete removal, even though i'm sure it'll be fine.

For a car with softer paint than German cars, a compounding pad, a polishing pad and a finishing pad plus Gtechniq P1 will see your car looking better than it did before it left the factory.

TOP TIP: Do polishing in a garage. I did it in the open near 3 large trees and it was very annoying.

Haha, thanks for offering to help out matey.

I'm based in Surrey - But I don't think you'd be up for a 6-8 hour detailing stint? Shall try rival your photo at the end of the month though!

The Silverline is a good polisher as far as i can see. It does everything perfectly - not sure what more i could ask for. Just make sure you get a decent backing plate for it ie. one of the ones for about £15-£20 rather than £3. It will make a world of difference.

I'm very glad i got a machine polisher, and i managed to remove a good amount of swirls from my car, with very hard paint. I'm not confident enough to go for a wool pad which will ensure complete removal, even though i'm sure it'll be fine.

For a car with softer paint than German cars, a compounding pad, a polishing pad and a finishing pad plus Gtechniq P1 will see your car looking better than it did before it left the factory.

TOP TIP: Do polishing in a garage. I did it in the open near 3 large trees and it was very annoying.

Thanks mate, might pick your brains a little further this evening :D

Haha, thanks for offering to help out matey.

I'm based in Surrey - But I don't think you'd be up for a 6-8 hour detailing stint? Shall try rival your photo at the end of the month though!

No worries :)

Surrey is a bit of a journey but nothing too bad, just shout when you're doing it and I'll see what I'm doing and if we can make it work, if not I look forward to the photo!

Can you guys in 'the know' recommend a good value 'no wax' car shampoo?. I was thinking something along the lines of the Simoniz Protection Car Wash Shampoo that Halfrauds do?. Is it any good?.

Megs Gold Class Shampoo is generally considered one of the best. I use Bilt Hamber at the moment, but I've also used AG Shampoo and that's not bad.

Maccy: What do you want the machine for? Dual Action polishers are usually the best way forward if you have no machine experience. Something like a Kestrel DAS6, £80 from Shinearama.

Ordered a DAS-6 Pro and some Hex Logic pads yesterday, hoping in vain that in arrives tomorrow (does anything ever arrive on a saturday unless you pay extra?).

Quite a pricey day...
CarPro - Iron X 500ml
Valet Pro - Inch Round Wheel Brush
Foam Wax Applicator x2
Meg's Ultimate Polish
Meg's Perfect Clarity window cleaner
Meg's Hot Rims wheel cleaner (Wanted something slightly more abrasive for when I clean my GF's wheels off the car next week)

I asked this question a while ago but can't find the answer so need it again :D My car has a relatively new coat of wax on it but I want to treat all the paint with IronX, how should I strip the coat wax before applying it? My car doesn't really need claying again so don't fancy that.

I'm going to polish it by hand with the Meg's ultimate stuff so would I be alright polishing straight off to strip the wax AND bring up the paint, then apply IronX before waxing?

Apply Iron X after washing then you could really do with claying before polishing/waxing.

I personally wouldn't have bothered with the Hot Rims as the Iron X would have dealt with anything that an household apc wouldn't have shifted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom