*** The Car Cleaning Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine is just barebones, come with a wooly mitt and that's it so I can go out and get my own pads, backing plate etc. I'll look into the P1, would you recommend the 3m pads then?

It was £44 at Argos believe it or not, £43 direct from Silverline but £5 p&p with them, free collection from Argos :)

Yeh the 3M pads are thoroughly decent - just that cheap backing plate which i stupidly bought instead of a good one. The 3M backing plate are meant to be among the best too. I bought my Silverline, with 2 free polishing pads (they were doing a deal), 1 x 3M green compounding pad, 1 x 3M blue finishing pad and a crappy backing plate for £68 inc del from EliteCarCare. There's also a detailing world coupon you can use to get 5% off i think. :)

Looking to give snow foaming a go for the first time this weekend. Bit cold maybe, but going to my mum's house and she has a pressure washer (and room to do it!)...

Looking for:

Lance (with correct fitting)
Snow foam

Lambswool mitt
2 x buckets with grit guard
drying towel
car shampoo

Wheel stuff
-what to get?

Anything else needed or not really?

Any recommendations on good products for the above?

Thanks in advance

Halfords have decent Buckets for £2.50 I think, which isnt too bad really. As for grit guard. They are £6 on ebay.

Ebay is the place I found most stuff cheapest. Cleanyourcar website aint bad either but you can save a few quid on the bay.

Meguiars shampoos are meant to be good by all accounts. Im completing an order tomorrow.

I hate road grime...only washed a week and a half ago. Anyone else have the same problem with their black car? :(

a1roadgrime-1.jpg

a1roadgrime-2.jpg

a1roadgrime-3.jpg

a1roadgrime-4.jpg

Thats my saturday morning sorted. :o

Applies to most cars, not just black :)

Round here you'll get that in a days worth of driving, damp, muddy roads etc etc...

That's the thing, my commute/area I live in is mainly country A/B roads and the amount of dirt left on the road from tractors is awful. Sometimes I think it could be dangerous for motorbikes etc as well as making cars dirty, road spray is the worse. :(

Washed mine last Saturday

Today it looks like its been through the Sahara , salty sandy crap totally covering it . Oh we'll at least it looked great for that one day

Il have to get a pic when its light because it makes the a1 above look clean

Does peanut butter remove wax form plastic trims?

Wax started to show up bad on my trim now. I tried the peanut butter trick and it seems to be working but want to know does it remove the wax or just hides it for a while?

I noticed the other day that the beige leather in my dad's car is getting grubby.
What's the best product to use to clean it up?
I'm guessing it's from jeans as it's only the driver's seat really.

Spent the best part of today cleaning my car inside and out. Went stone chip hunting with a Halfords touch up pen kit and really impressed with it.

Can any of you guys recommend anything that cleans the rubber seals? I want them back to black. Also the rubber around my ariel is looking awful and worn, anyway of bringing this back to life?

Winter prep for the Scottish winter complete and a shameless copy from the VTEC thread.

A few snaps, plus I fitted the new refurbished wheel, which is soo much better now in comparison to the horrible 14yr old Momo leather.

Still a few bits of interior trim left to install, the new HU to be calibrated and any remaining shakes in the doorcards to be deadened.

486a0423.jpg

486a0424.jpg

486a0420.jpg

486a0419.jpg

Great day for cleaning - washed, polished and waxed over 4.5h today. Had done the whole interior yesterday. Had clayed a few weeks ago also. Just realised how many tiny stone chips I'm collecting now that I'm mostly doing motorway miles.

Some meh photos but gives an idea:
dsc0023pj.jpg

dsc0024cm.jpg

Yesterday, pre-washing (note the brown wheels and general filthy appearance):
dsc0020of.jpg

All those leaves in the foreground came from under the bonnet.

Last edited:
Well I thought I'd give my car a quick wash - this is about a week and a half's worth of grime (I live in a very rural location and the roads round here are just awash with mud!). A quick covering with some Pro Valet ph neutral snowfoam, a 5 minute dwell then a blast with the pressure washer. I used Meguires NXT shampoo with two buckets and a washmit. Another rinse down, and then a quick dry with a waffle weave drying towel. I gave the car a full detail two months ago, and that included 5 coats of Autyglym EGP - the EGP is holding up really well - you can see the road and grime conditions the poor thing has to endure, but the product is still beading nicely after 6 or so washes (following the above procedure). I only had my phone so the pics aren't the best.
IMAG0746plate.jpg

IMAG0750.jpg

IMAG0757.jpg

IMAG0755.jpg

IMAG0761.jpg

IMAG0768plate.jpg

IMAG0764plate.jpg

Not too shabby!

our road :rolleyes::rolleyes:
IMAG0772-1.jpg

Last edited:
Going to give the car a "wash" today

With winter fast approaching I want to wash (I think they call it detailing nowadays) the car, give it a buff of polish and a few coats of a sealant or wax. I need some advice on the process though.

My kit contains:
Autoglym Shampoo
Autoglym Super Resin Polish
Autoglym Ultra Deep Shine
Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection
Collinite 915 wax
Chemical Guys Pete's 53 Paste Wax
Chemical Guys XXX Hardcore Paste Wax

I am considering picking up a clay bar since the car has never had it but if I'm going to use a polish, is a clay bar a waste of time?

I want the protection to last for as long as possible. Given what I have, what order should I apply? I understand that the Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection is a glaze. Should I apply this first then a coat of one of the waxes? I know the Collinite 915 is well known for it's longevity and durability so should this be a final coat over some of the others or should I just apply a few coats of the Collinite?

Is wire wool the best bet for a filthy and corroded exhaust tail pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom